Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools Sth County Dublin

Options
  • 03-12-2010 6:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have just moved to Killiney and recently had a baby girl. We are looking for recommendations for a local primary school to enrol her.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

My kids go to Scoil Lorcain in Monkstown. It's a gaelscoil, with excellent teachers and lots of parental involvement, making it a real community. Thoroughly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think this is better suited to the south dublin forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could try Johnstown. They are a busy school with a big list to get in. Priority goes to those in the locality. Class sizes are big though.

I have 2 kids in St John's. It is at the top of Wyatville dual carriage way. Have no complaints with the school and would easily recommend them. They run an early start program there too, which is essentially a pre Junior Infant class. It is 2 1/2 hours per day, either in the morning or afternoon. It is free and is a great way for kids to get used to the school routine.

Johnstown is a very good school but big classes - seperate boys and girls schools. Catholic.

Dalkey School Project which is in Glenageary (couple of minutes walk from the graduate pub) - excellent school. It's an educate together school which gives places entirely on a first come first served basis so I would recommend getting your daugher's name down there ASAP. This would be my first preference for a non fee paying school. Multi Denominational and co ed.

Loretto Dalkey - excellent girls school which will give preference to children with a dalkey address and therefore a bit more difficult to get into. Worth having her name down in though.

Wyvern in Killiney; near the Castle. Have heard mixed reviews, I believe it to be a good school though. Mixed I think. Either protestant or presbyterian.

If you're looking for fee paying schools then I can give some other recommendations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I have a couple of nieces in Wyvern, they really like it. It is a mixed Church of Ireland school, as is St Patrick's NS in Dalkey where my daughter goes (Again, mixed).

I couldn't recommend St Patrick's enough, it is a really good school and has a very good community around it. If the CoI bit puts you off, about 50 to 60% of the kids are Catholic and they run "Religion" classes after school one day a week for kids doing their first communion. CofI Schools are run on the basis that they are for Children for any faith, or none. You need to apply early though, it is very popular and there are only 96 kids in the whole school.

• Advertisement

I have a couple of nieces in Wyvern, they really like it. It is a mixed Church of Ireland school, as is St Patrick's NS in Dalkey where my daughter goes (Again, mixed).

I couldn't recommend St Patrick's enough, it is a really good school and has a very good community around it.

I've never heard of St. Patrick's! Sounds like they have small class sizes which would be top of my list. Pity I didn't know about this a few years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've never heard of St. Patrick's! Sounds like they have small class sizes which would be top of my list. Pity I didn't know about this a few years ago!

For some reason, not many people have. There are 12 kids in each class, 24 per class room.

It is in Harbour road alongside St Patrick's church.

Advertisement