Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat Poverty 1&2 TV3, TG4

Options
  • 03-12-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

Bit of a neebie at this. bought a Silvercrest SL65 from Lidl a while back, while i get all the BBC's ITV's etc it does not broadcast the Irish channels.

What is the best free-view way to get all the channels (Poverty 1&2 TV3 TG4, ITV, E4, More4 etc) on one receiver without having to hop between anologue and digital. Can i get a Sky box without having to subscribe to crap i don't want to watch? I have no idea and can't be bothered asking the local retailers as they will only try to flog you something you don't need. (I live in Donegal by the way)

Well any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who can.

Thanks again.

Misty Morning, Albert Bridge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not getting the joke, but what is Poverty 1 and 2? Do you mean RTÉ? If so, you can't get them FTA. Maybe with Saorsat in a year or two's time, but unless you have an MPEG 4 receiver you won't be getting any free RTÉ digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hi Guys,

Bit of a neebie at this. bought a Silvercrest SL65 from Lidl a while back, while i get all the BBC's ITV's etc it does not broadcast the Irish channels.

What is the best free-view way to get all the channels (Poverty 1&2 TV3 TG4, ITV, E4, More4 etc) on one receiver without having to hop between anologue and digital. Can i get a Sky box without having to subscribe to crap i don't want to watch? I have no idea and can't be bothered asking the local retailers as they will only try to flog you something you don't need. (I live in Donegal by the way)

Well any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who can.

Thanks again.

Misty Morning, Albert Bridge.

What is this .....is it a channel?

If you are interested in extending your service to the Irish channels then you will need an outdoor aeriel. Have a look at the Terrestrial forum.

There are boxes out there that do both but if you want proper information dont talk in riddles and expect others to be mind readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Misty Morning

The guy next door has, yes RTE 1 & RTE 2 on his Skybox!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Thats because he pays sky for them

So do you have to actually pay Sky to watch the Irish channels even if you live in Ireland? What i am trying to get at here is a freeview box that will show all the English Channels and the Irish channels! One box, one remote! Isn't there a card where you pay a one off payment and you can view all the above mentioned channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Sky or one of the Dual tuner DTT boxes will cover your needs. DTT will depend on your area though.

Sorry just saw the one off payment. DTT it is then,

Thanks McGyver. I will look into the DTT option. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You actually have to pay UPC (was NTL and Chorus) to watch RTE on it too.
    It's called a PayTV system.

If you want free Irish TV you use an aerial. Irish TV might be free on Satellite from May 2011. But never on an SL65 or other basic box
    see www.saortv.info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Get a decent combo box like a Mvision 300 hd, Edision 2in1, pair it with a uhf aerial and a satellite dish pointed at astra 2. You'll have RTE1, RTE2 HD, TV3, 3e, TG4, RTE news and all the UK FTA channels (Including BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV HD) for a one off payment (Receiver purchase approx €160).

You can sort your channel list to what you desire. EG:
    1) RTE1, 2)RTE2HD, 3)TV3 etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 collinshane

question for Snaps,

if you have one of these MVision boxes, can you tell me if the RF out carries the digital TV signal, or if it is only a "loop out" to carry your analogue in to another box?

I have a (now redundant) Triax TR110 running to two tvs, meaning I can watch RTE digital in either room. If I replace this with the MVision combi, will I need an external AV modulator or does it have inbuilt RF out tuner?

I've looked on a number of sites, and have found pictures of the back of the box, but they're too small to read what it says on the male connection in the bottom corner

Thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

question for Snaps,

if you have one of these MVision boxes, can you tell me if the RF out carries the digital TV signal, or if it is only a "loop out" to carry your analogue in to another box?

I have a (now redundant) Triax TR110 running to two tvs, meaning I can watch RTE digital in either room. If I replace this with the MVision combi, will I need an external AV modulator or does it have inbuilt RF out tuner?

I've looked on a number of sites, and have found pictures of the back of the box, but they're too small to read what it says on the male connection in the bottom corner

Thanx

There's no modulator in the Mvision 300HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

12 element wrote: »
    There's no modulator in the Mvision 300HD.

Yes no rf modulator, just an RF loopthrough, which is a bit strange.

I'll have a Tower Electronics Combo HD receiver in the new year that has an RF modulator, I don't know of any other combo that has an RF modulator. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Really a box for each TV makes more sense than a modulator.
    When a box is < €80 retail, rather than > €250 it makes little sense to have extra cost of a Modulator, which inherently blocks at least two channels, does poor quality SD Composite only (rather than RGB, S-Video or HDMI) and mono audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

12 element wrote: »
    I'll have a Tower Electronics Combo HD receiver in the new year that has an RF modulator, I don't know of any other combo that has an RF modulator. Anyone?

The technomates... 6900, the 6900+, the 8000 etc

And for the very reason that watty stated in the last post.

The combo boxes are less than 150 each for the likes of the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo and the Edision Argus 2n1.

Ah didn't think of the Technomates, they are quite expensive though. Its still a nice feature for people replacing a sky box with a combo box, even though technically modulators aren't the best option.

Advertisement