Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Processor Question

• 03-12-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Is the such a thing as an AMD equivalent of the Intel i3 processor?

Is the AMD Turion II on par with the Intel i3 or how to they compare?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Athlons, http://www.guruht.com/2009/12/intel-core-i3-530-vs-amd-athlon-ii-x4.html

But also Phenom II X4 and X6. I dont think Turion is even in the same weight class as the i3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So if the option was between these two you would run with the i3?

Price wise there's nothing between them, they just upped the RAM & HDD size on the AMD but I think I would prefer the better processor..

HP i3 G62-b18SA Laptop

HP AMD G62-b17SA Laptop

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

What are you going to be using your computer for? A CPU might not perform well for gaming but might be better suited to other applications.

There are many different CPUs that fit into the i3 and Turion range (for example). As far as I can see, they are very vague on the processor details. But despite this, I believe the i3 is the better of the two families.

I would advise checking out some benchmark tests. Or a direct comparison site (like the one Overheal linked to) that will compare the two CPUs over a range of tests - games, encoding etc.

Still, the Turion comes with more RAM and a larger HDD. So perhaps it is a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other. All in all, I'd be inclined to suggest that you either build your own PC or buy a second hand one from adverts.ie or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't like that site. You basically learn nothing about the processor but it's name, nothing about the hard drive or ram but their size. And not a damn thing at all about the graphics.

Buy somewhere else, those laptops are wildcards. Shop somewhere that will show you things like the Processor model numbers (1055T, etc), Speed, Cores, Cache size; What type of RAM is it DDR2, DDR3? How fast is it? is it 533Mhz is it 1600Mhz? Does the hard drive spin at 5400 or 7200 rpms? What are the read/write times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yeah, if they aren't bothered to give you the specifics (which really isn't too much to ask) then I would look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement