Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes(in prime) vs. Xavi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Also, didn't Zidane recently say Gerrard was the best player in the world?

He said Scholes was the best ever iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Xavi is Euro and WC winner. It's simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

SlickRic, not too sure about Xavi's shooting, that is one department that Scholesy is definitely head and shoulders above him in.

Scholes beats him in it, i wouldn't argue otherwise. but Xavi can definitely shoot. take a look at some of his free kicks down the years. also Barca regularly just look to pass it into the net, so you rarely see any of them smacking it from distance.
    Also, didn't Zidane recently say Gerrard was the best player in the world?

he said it in the midst of our Championship challenge, a season where he was by all accounts, only rivalled by Utd's Vidic as the best player in the League that year (ignoring Giggs getting the nostalgia vote in the end of season awards!).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I didn't doubt Zidane said it, i just think he might be the kind of man who might say Robbie Keane was one of the best strikers he has ever seen if he was doing a book signing in Ireland.

Here's the Gerrard link..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Xavi is Euro and WC winner. It's simples.

Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners medal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

SantryRed wrote: »
    Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners medal

Xavi has 2. :)

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Poll should've been public
    Not revealing which way you voted otherwise? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So does Scholes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone start the Giggs or Messi thread yet?

:rolleyes:

gosplan wrote: »

Again, your seriously deluded if you think thats there's a huge gap between Xavi and Scholes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

gosplan wrote: »

Or the Wenger or Ferguson one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Iniesta > Xavi tbh. ;)

So does Scholes:)

Sh*t tis true. But he never played in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This thread is like asking which one of the jedwards. Theyre so evenly matched yet at very different ends of the quality scale

• Advertisement

Sh*t tis true. But he never played in that game.

Xavi didn't play in the champions league final 06 against Arsenal.

He was an un-used substitute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UEFA_Champions_League_Final

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

He still got his medal for it, just like Keane did in 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

karma_ wrote: »
    He still got his medal for it, just like Keane did in 99.

I wasn't disputing that, was just saying that both himself and Scholes missed a champions league final...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Xavi all day for me, both top class players but I just love the way Xavi plays the game, he makes it look so easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Scholes is the greatest english player ever :eek: and the best i have seen in my lifetime. His technical ability is unreal he can dictate a game with his ability honestly hard to believe he is english sometimes.

Vaguely recall when he got into Uniteds team Fergie saying he was the" best finisher at the club". Cant tackle for **** tho.

Xavi is a more refined version of scholes dont know if he can tackle rarely see him do it.

Wouldnt choose should be a fence sitting option :D (think i clicked scholes as a reaction tho).

On the whole they are the perfect players if every team had one, football would be better for it. Both well worth whatever price your ticket was.

The facts of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Scholes in his prime was very different to who he is now, and to the type of game Xavi plays.

thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

d22ontour wrote: »
    Iniesta > Xavi tbh. ;)

No way!

kryogen wrote: »
    Scholes in his prime was very different to who he is now, and to the type of game Xavi plays.

thats all

What exactly do you mean?

kryogen wrote: »

thats all

One day someone will actually compare two like for like players on this forum.It's beyond a joke now.If the comparison was Iniesta and Scholes it would make sense but this really takes the biscuit ...
    Lets compare Etoo and Henry next.. :rolleyes:

What exactly do you mean?

Scholes was a much more offensive player when he was in his prime whilst Keane would do the more protective role. As Scholes has gotten older, he has gotten more like the Xavi role imo. He plays deeper in midfield and picks the ball up from the defenders and looks to make the defence splitting passes.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Scholes was a much more offensive player when he was in his prime whilst Keane would do the more protective role. As Scholes has gotten older, he has gotten more like the Xavi role imo. He plays deeper in midfield and picks the ball up from the defenders and looks to make the defence splitting passes.

Seriously why even bother sensibly.

Dumb it down tbh.The masses here actually think they are comparable.Feed them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Iniesta is a complete scumbag, disgraceful to even mention him in the same breath as scholes/xavi.

**** has the best record for cheats dived in 2 CL finals a EC final and WC final and won penos and frees in every game.

Complete and utter scumbag of a player shocking to think his team won every game he dived in, Ronaldo isnt even close that cheating scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Iniesta is a complete scumbag, disgraceful to even mention him in the same breath as scholes/xavi.

**** has the best record for cheats dived in 2 CL finals a EC final and WC final and won penos and frees in every game.

Complete and utter scumbag of a player shocking to think his team won every game he dived in, Ronaldo isnt even close that cheating scumbag.

lol, hes amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Xavi all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Wait, are we thinking of the same Iniesta, Andrés?

Scumbag is the wrong word, i do agree he goes to ground very easy at times but i wouldn't call him a scumbag for it. Would you not call Scholes a scumbag because he can't for the life of him make a decent tackle?

Also Ronaldo's diving isn't the only reason he is hated so much, his crying, whinging and huge ego are the main reasons. Sorry for the off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Dreamers75 what a ridiculous post. Iniesta is far from a scum bag, regarded as many as the quietest professional footballer in the feckn Spanish Squad and Barca team.

To suggest Iniesta is a scumbag and Ronaldo isn't speaks volumes about your knowledge of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wonder what generation people reckon that Paul Scholes has been best in. I never seen him as the best English born midfielder at any stage in his career.

For me Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard have been the two best English born midfielders over the last 8 years or so.

Before that you had David Batty who was the best English born midfielder for a good 8 years or so too. There was also Rob Lee and the supremely gifted Paul Merson.

I remember having many conversations in the mid/late 90s about United. Most agreed at the time that United were one central midfielder away from being competely dominant in Europe. United had Keane, Beckham and Giggs there. Scholes and Nicky Butt shared time equally during that period. Scholes seemed to move ahead of Butt slightly at the start of the 00s.

Xavi is the best midfielder in Europe since the retirement of Zizou and there is no question about that. He rarely makes mistakes, he completes more passes than anybody else. I have no doubt that Barcelona will suffer when he does finally hang up his boots.

There is no comparison between the two. Xavi is light years ahead of Scholes. A good comparison for Paul Scholes would be Bryan Robson who for me is ahead of Scholes too.

I think a good similar age comparison to have with Scholes would be Michael Ballack. They are more similar types than he and Xavi. I think Ballack is ahead of him too but I'm sure Scholes would win on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

eagle eye wrote: »
    I wonder what generation people reckon that Paul Scholes has been best in. I never seen him as the best English born midfielder at any stage in his career.

For me Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard have been the two best English born midfielders over the last 8 years or so.

Before that you had David Batty who was the best English born midfielder for a good 8 years or so too. There was also Rob Lee and the supremely gifted Paul Merson.

I remember having many conversations in the mid/late 90s about United. Most agreed at the time that United were one central midfielder away from being competely dominant in Europe. United had Keane, Beckham and Giggs there. Scholes and Nicky Butt shared time equally during that period. Scholes seemed to move ahead of Butt slightly at the start of the 00s.

Xavi is the best midfielder in Europe since the retirement of Zizou and there is no question about that. He rarely makes mistakes, he completes more passes than anybody else. I have no doubt that Barcelona will suffer when he does finally hang up his boots.

There is no comparison between the two. Xavi is light years ahead of Scholes. A good comparison for Paul Scholes would be Bryan Robson who for me is ahead of Scholes too.

I think a good similar age comparison to have with Scholes would be Michael Ballack. They are more similar types than he and Xavi. I think Ballack is ahead of him too but I'm sure Scholes would win on this forum.
    David Batty? Rob Lee?

Laughable tbh. Good players in their prime yes but compared to Scholes - no i'm sorry, terrible comparison. I generally respect your opinions on here, but in this case i cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Degag wrote: »
    David Batty? Rob Lee?

Laughable tbh. Good players in their prime yes but compared to Scholes - no i'm sorry, terrible comparison. I generally respect your opinions on here, but in this case i cannot.
    They were better than him in the late 90s imo. At that time he was time sharing with Nicky Butt if you remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Lol, Iniesta is better than the both of them. He's probably better Zidane aswell.

Lol even more at the second part of that. So because he wins free-kicks he's a scumbag? Free-kicks are given in every single game at every single level of the game.

Don't remember him diving in the World Cup,Euros or CL final. Do you have any clips of this diving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tdv123 wrote: »
    Lol, Iniesta is better than the both of them. He's probably better Zidane aswell.

No he isn't, don't be silly.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    This 'vs' shite is way overdone at this stage.

Agree 100%.

"Biggest dick A" vs "Biggest dick B"

Which is the biggest?

Vote (in private)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Agree 100%.

"Biggest dick A" vs "Biggest dick B"

Which is the biggest?

Vote (in private)

Agreed.........what's the answer though?

Ferguson or Ronaldo?:pac:

Neville?:D

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

You should visit Andres' Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067480&id=1133724813#!/AndresIniesta

He has over 3 million fans and comes across as anything but a scumbag. I'm sure you can find someone slightly more intellectually equipped than yourself to translate his engaging and revealing posts, as, of course, they are in Espanol, that's Spanish to you.

I think most managers, even Ferguson, if given a choice between Xavi and Scholes in their prime, would go Xavi. He has the ability to make everyone around him play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Idiotic thread with idiotic results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Again, your seriously deluded if you think thats there's a huge gap between Xavi and Scholes....

So what exactly is the point of the thread?

'Oh well it's closer then you'd think?'

Scholes vrs Xavi is a no contest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Xavi no contest, further more Iniesta over scholes also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

idiotic results?

The vastly better player got more votes, seems far from idiotic to me.

how are the results idiotic?

idiotic results.

Just because some people have a different viewpoint doesn't mean it's idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh look what you did there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement