Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Scholes(in prime) vs. Xavi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Nope not a silly notion at all.

It's worth pointing out that Iniesta is only 26.

It's fair to say that when Xavi was 26, he wasn't as good as Iniesta is now.

Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years...

This.

In 5 years time he could definitely end up being the goat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Scholes for me. Easily. Scholes has consistently been the Premier league's best player for the past 12 years. His way of controlling the tempo of the game, bringing others into play is phenomenal. At age 36, he is still one of the best passers of the ball in the world.

Scholes has been completely underrated throughout his career, probably down to his shy nature. Another reason has been the players around him such as Keane, Beckham, Ronaldo. Big characters demanding the limelight. What people fail to realise is that it was Scholes who made United tick.

His best year was 2006-2007 imo. At age 32, with Chelsea seeming an unstoppable force in the Premier League, Scholes was sensational. Completely ran every game he played. Ronaldo grabbed the headlines that year, but it was Scholes who constantly found him in space, who constantly made interceptions to launch United onto another counter.

A completely underrated part of Scholes game is his defensive side. People see rash tackles and assume he can't tackle for s***. Wrong. Im convinced, as are many professional's, that he does this on purpose. It is his way of getting in players heads, and showing that he, as the small guy, isn't going to be pushed around.

People fail to see how many times Scholes wins the ball back, through tackles and interceptions. An example would be the 1st leg of the champions league semi final in 2008. Barcelona were attempting to play their tippy-tappy pass pass pass game that serves them so well. Scholes was phenomenal. I lost count of how many times he intercepted them. It was a major mistake of Fergie's not to play Scholes in the CL final in 2009. In the end, Scholes sealed that semi final with a wonder goal in the 2nd leg. His opponent over them 2 legs...oh yeah, Xavi.

This is the same Xavi that couldn't make the Barcelona side in 2006 right? At age 26? Dont get me wrong, he is a superb player, the best CM in the world at the moment. But he has been great for what, 2-3 years? He has some way to go to match Scholes 12 years of being great. Xavi is becoming excellent in the latter stages of his career. Scholes has been excellent throughout his career. And noone can convince that Xavi at his very best will ever be as good as Scholes in his best season (2006).

Also, I can only imagine what Scholes would do if he has the chance to play with Messi, Iniesta and Villa. The list of quotes above make great reading.

Everything negative that you're making about Xavi can be made about Scholes.

Scholes did good to beat Barca 1-0 over two legs in 06/07? What about Xavi utterly destroying Manchester United 2-0 the next year in the final? A game where when Scholes came on all he did was butcher Busquets with a horrible challenge, he could have been red carded in that game.

You're also making it out that Xavi wasn't good enough to make Barca's 06 team, that's ONLY because he had long term knee injury that kept him out for essentially the whole season. That's the only season in his playing career that he's had a long term injury.

Xavi is also incredibly well rounded defensively, he doesn't make massive tackles like Mascherano, but he intelligently positions himself to intercept a disproportionate number of passes every game, he also hassles opposition players just as well as any other player around atm. Just because he isn't running 90 miles an hour and slide tackling every player on the pitch doesn't mean he isn't putting a decent shift in defensively.

Everything you've said above in praising Scholes could so easily be applied to Xavi iswell.

I love Scholes, and he is the best English player I have ever seen, and also the most likable. But I think when Xavi is 36 people will be recognising him as the best CMF of all time.

Trilla wrote: »
    Exactly, put him in a two man midfield in the premiership...see how he does. He's a great player. I've always loved Iniesta though, and Scholesy has had his poor games, injuries and late tackles.

What a silly thing to say. Xavi comfortably keeps Cesc Fabregas out of the Spanish national team, the same Cesc who is the best midfielder in your precious premiership. He'd be just a ruthless in England, players like Xavi make space for themselves, it doesn't matter how much rain there is or who's closing him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Xavi6 seems to be working on the basis that it's only Utd/EPL fans who hold Scholes in the same regard as Xavi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Do you accept that Scholes' defensive side of the game is vastly superior to Xavis?

No, he doesn't accept that, and neither do i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eZe^ wrote: »
    What a silly thing to say. Xavi comfortably keeps Cesc Fabregas out of the Spanish national team, the same Cesc who is the best midfielder in your precious premiership. He'd be just a ruthless in England, players like Xavi make space for themselves, it doesn't matter how much rain there is or who's closing him down.

Ah come on now, Paul Greene keeps every other irish player out of the Ireland midfield now that Andrews is/was injured. Doesn't make him the better player over everyone else, especially for all formations and teams does it.

I'm not saying he'd fail, please let me stress this. But it would be very interesting. Veron was world class, and still did well in this WC, yet alot of people seem to think he failed at United and CHelsea (two best teams in England at the time)

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he'd fail, please let me stress this. But it would be very interesting. Veron was world class, and still did well in this WC, yet alot of people seem to think he failed at United and CHelsea (two best teams in England at the time)

Well in that case it completely depends doesn't it? It depends on how the team is set up. You can't play the same type of football with Xavi in midfield as you would Lampard/ Gerard/ Essien/ Fletcher and vice versa. If the team is set up properly, there is no reason why Xavi couldn't prosper in a 2 man midfield against Bolton on a rainy November's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Scholes has been equally breathtaking for the best part of a decade, if people can't recognise that, then that's a fault that lies with themselves and not Scholes.
    You are way overrating Paul Scholes. Breathtaking is how I'd describe Xavi over his career, and once every so often for Paul Scholes.

How do you explain that he shared time, maybe even played less games that Nicky Butt over a 5 year period? How do you explain Alex Ferguson signing Juan Veron if he thought Scholes was so good? I know Veron didn't work out but the plan clearly was to replace Scholes with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

#15 wrote: »
    Xavi6 seems to be working on the basis that it's only Utd/EPL fans who hold Scholes in the same regard as Xavi.

Well I don't think any La Liga fans would, but I'm open to correction.

I believe that the vast majority that have seen them equally will rate them both very, very highly but see Xavi as the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

eagle eye wrote: »
    How do you explain Alex Ferguson signing Juan Veron if he thought Scholes was so good? I know Veron didn't work out but the plan clearly was to replace Scholes with him.

Really?? Dont believe thats true at all :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well I don't think any La Liga fans would, but I'm open to correction.

I believe that the vast majority that have seen them equally will rate them both very, very highly but see Xavi as the better player.

I didn't mean it as a criticism of you. Just an observation.

I know a few Spanish guys who grew up just outside Catalunya. One of them is a ST holder at the Nou Camp. They're all arrogant culés :D but they regard Scholes as an equal of Xavi.

They may be the exception though.
    Broadly speaking, I'd tend to agree with you - I'm just making the point that it's not quite as clear cut as La Liga fans = Xavi and EPL fans = Scholes.

• Advertisement

How do you explain Alex Ferguson signing Juan Veron if he thought Scholes was so good? I know Veron didn't work out but the plan clearly was to replace Scholes with him.

4-5-1 is how you explain it.

Did you miss 2001-2002? Those 9 months when Fergie tried to ram Veron into the team alongside Keane and Scholes?

Well in that case it completely depends doesn't it? It depends on how the team is set up. You can't play the same type of football with Xavi in midfield as you would Lampard/ Gerard/ Essien/ Fletcher and vice versa. If the team is set up properly, there is no reason why Xavi couldn't prosper in a 2 man midfield against Bolton on a rainy November's day.

Yes. So its not so silly to say, after all. Veron could have cost Uited 28.1m and Chelsea 16.5. World class yet failed to play with great players around him. I'd still like to see Xavi in England. My opinion (and don't jump all over this, its just an opinion) but I just have this feeling that Scholes would adapt better. After all, he changed his game when his legs went.

And less of the "precious Premiership" "you don't watch anything but English soccer" jibes lads. There are intelligent decent people who like to express an opinion on here without all the crap and the the one line replies like "absolute crap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yes. So its not so silly to say, after all. Veron could have cost Uited 28.1m and Chelsea 16.5. World class yet failed to play with great players around him. I'd still like to see Xavi in England. My opinion (and don't jump all over this, its just an opinion) but I just have this feeling that Scholes would adapt better. After all, he changed his game when his legs went.

And less of the "precious Premiership" "you don't watch anything but English soccer" jibes lads. There are intelligent decent people who like to express an opinion on here without all the crap and the the one line replies like "absolute crap".

But why is the Premiership so important for Xavi to be a great player? Also, the way Scholes jumps into challenges would make him so poor defensively in games in La Liga as he would just leave space which would be exploited.

These what if threads are fcuking ridiculous anyways.

SantryRed wrote: »
    But why is the Premiership so important for Xavi to be a great player? Also, the way Scholes jumps into challenges would make him so poor defensively in games in La Liga as he would just leave space which would be exploited.

These what if threads are fcuking ridiculous anyways.

The premiership is not improtant for Xavi to be a great player.Xavi is a great player. I'm making the point that I think Scholes would do well in Spain and I tihnk he'd adapt better than Xavi would in England. We've seen Scholes adapt and still keep his title as a "great player", thats what I'm basing it on.

The reason I'd like to see Xavi in England would be to test this, not to say "oh I was right I knew he'd be sh'it".

Its very difficult to compare though as they are not 100% the same player, probably not 75% the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

SantryRed wrote: »
    Scholes was a much more offensive player when he was in his prime whilst Keane would do the more protective role. As Scholes has gotten older, he has gotten more like the Xavi role imo. He plays deeper in midfield and picks the ball up from the defenders and looks to make the defence splitting passes.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    This thread is a load of sh*te, Scholes in his prime was an attacking midfielder, only as he has gotten older and lost some of his fitness has he played deeper so the comparison is complete load of ****e.

Scholes dropped deep to build attacks plenty during his prime. This is always overlooked and it grinds my gears. All the beautiful, subtle passing and building of attacks is something that Scholes excelled at during his prime. His stats for completed passes used to be amazing often enough. Not as amazing as Xavi's stats but Xavi plays in a team built around ball retention and his game is almost completely focussed on that aspect, whereas Scholes was also doing the ACM's job too and all this in a four man midfield.

These two are very close imo. I would say that Xavi has the better close control and Scholes had the better goal threat. Xavi would be able to shoot more if he played in an attacking 442 and does have a good shot. But would he have the amazing engine that Scholes had which got him into so many good positions? And would he have been such an impressive finisher?

So overall I see it as a draw. Two fantastic midfielders who are/were similar to each other but play(ed) in two very different teams.
    How do you explain that he shared time, maybe even played less games that Nicky Butt over a 5 year period?
    Because he was being converted from a striker to a central midfielder. These things take time and Nick Butt was no mug back then either. And lets not forget that Scholes went on to become central to the team for the next decade, picking up bags of medals on the way.
    Trilla wrote:
    We've seen Scholes adapt and still keep his title as a "great player", thats what I'm basing it on.
    The old, adapted Scholes is not a great player. He hasn't changed his game and found some new depth of ability, he has just stopped running as much as he used to.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The old, adapted Scholes is not a great player. He hasn't changed his game and found some new depth of ability, he has just stopped running as much as he used to.

The old adapted Scholes is not as good I'll admit. But he's still the most vital MF at Manchester United, who up until today were top of the league, are unbeatena and most believe yet to hit top form.

I think he's great still and thousands will agree. He still has his vision and is wiser in what he does with the ball in a deeper role. From what I can see anyways.

But good post nonetheless

The old adapted Scholes is not as good I'll admit. But he's still the most vital MF at Manchester United, who up until today were top of the league, are unbeatena and most believe yet to hit top form.

I think he's great still and thousands will agree. He still has his vision and is wiser in what he does with the ball in a deeper role. From what I can see anyways.

I just don't think that a player who is too old to be able to play regularly can be called great. But it's only semantics.

I don't see him as any wiser now with his passing. I don't ever remember him being anything other than a perfect distributor of the ball.

We just see it differently.

But good post nonetheless
    Thanks

Very good post Pro. F. Still though, prefer Xavi. :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hate these vs thread as people start picking out 'faults'

Scholes has spent 16 years in the first Manchester United team. Xavi, for Barca, around 12. Around 2000 is when Xavi was the main playmaker for Barcelona, but didn't produce his best stuff until around 2004 onwards. Feel free to correct me eze.

Both clearly are class. The vision, the passing are miles above anyone else. Don't blame anyone for picking one over the other.

Eddie McGoldrick ftw lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Eh? What has Xavi winning a Spanish award from a Spanish magazine for being the best Spanish player in the Spanish league have anything to do with my point about people from the British Isles and the British media underrating him massively up until 2 years ago?

It kind of backs you up really. At least that's what it was intended as. People here are saying Xavi wasn't that great until a couple of years ago and I was pointing out that he was well recognised six years ago.

Best Spanish player is a pretty good acolade regardless of where it comes from.

but the mature fans that watch United week in week out always come back to Scholes as being our greatest.

Exactly.

United fans vote for Scholes. You're all mature fans and he's your greatest.

Everyone else sees the obvious answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Very interesting that the percentages seem to be the same as on the Messi v Ronaldo thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The ironic thing about this thread is that Scholesy would hate such a discussion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And again, I'll say that the results being different would be because of ignorance in the voters, not because Xavi has only magically become world class in the past 2 years. He has been one of the best midfielders in the game for the past decade ffs. Just because you and sky didn't acknowledge it doesn't make it untrue.

18 months even. Pre-CL Final 2009, not a chance.

L'prof wrote: »
    Very interesting that the percentages seem to be the same as on the Messi v Ronaldo thread...

It's a conspiracy I tells ya !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

L'prof wrote: »

Who did you pick in that poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

gosplan wrote: »
    Exactly.

Eh, would you care to read the bit you pulled out of my post again? I said that mature United fans see Scholes as our greatest. Where in that did I mention vs Xavi?

It was in relation to Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham etc all recieving more plaudits, but fans consider Scholes to be the best.

Funny when you think you have got one over on someone, only for it to backfire.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Exactly.

Scholes is the greatest player United have had in the last 20 years.This has nothing to do with any vote what so ever.
    Lets compare centre halfs and full backs next.Everyone else will still vote..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Eh, would you care to read the bit you pulled out of my post again? I said that mature United fans see Scholes as our greatest. Where in that did I mention vs Xavi?

It was in relation to Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham etc all recieving more plaudits, but fans consider Scholes to be the best.

Funny when you think you have got one over on someone, only for it to backfire.....
    tbh I'd have Ronaldo and Keane in my team before Scholes but he's definitely not far from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Why were my posts deleted when they were on topic? Could the mod who deleted them at least pm the person to say Why? Ffs.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Scholes is the greatest player United have had in the last 20 years.
    Have to disagree with that.
    I'd definitely have Keane ahead of him and probably Cantona too.

probably Cantona too.

This i have to laugh at. Cantona seriously, any United fan who views him as a club great is a bit of a clown imo.He was a premiership player at best.
    Useless in Europe for club or country.
    We were on the up when he joined, he didn't bring fook all together, he joined a team on the verge of greatness.
    There is a difference.
    Hughes > Cantona if you want club greatness.He got lucky and joined us at the right time.When he was voted best United player of all time i pissed myself laughing.He would not make a top ten, never mind best of all time...

:mad:

This i have to laugh at. Cantona seriously, any United fan who views him as a club great is a bit of a clown imo.He was a premiership player at best.
    We were on the up when he joined, he didn't bring fook all together, he joined a team on the verge of greatness.
    There is a difference.
    Hughes > Cantona if you want club greatness.He got lucky and joined us at the right time.When he was voted best United player of all time i pissed myself laughing.He would not make a top ten, never mind best of all time...

I agree he failed in Europe with us, but tbf the whole team under Fergie took a while to get to grips with the CL for those years. And I agree he is not the all time best United player.

As for the rest of your post - lol
    Man that is some crazy shít you've got going on there.

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

Rio Ferdinand : "For me, it's Paul Scholes. He'll do ridiculous things in training like say, "You see that tree over there?" - it'll be 40 yards away - "I'm going to hit it". And he'll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."

Add this to the list of quotes from Zidane, Lippi etc there a few pages back. Surely these lads are the best to judge? The 3 highlighted are especially relevant.

To the United fans choosing Keane, Ronaldo etc, thats fair enough. But remember that the majority of them (Keane, Rooney, Giggs) choose Scholes as United's best player in recent times. (The Narcassist Ronaldo surely differs though!)

• Advertisement

Man that is some crazy shít you've got going on there.

Realism unfortunately...

He was a good player Bill not a great player springs to mind.

I would have Hughes in any United team everyday of the week ahead of him.

Legend. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There is a difference.

Brave man! :D

Has there ever been a 'Critique Cantona' thread? T'would be epic.

Add this to the list of quotes from Zidane, Lippi etc there a few pages back. Surely these lads are the best to judge? The 3 highlighted are especially relevant.

To the United fans choosing Keane, Ronaldo etc, thats fair enough. But remember that the majority of them (Keane, Rooney, Giggs) choose as United's best player in recent times. (The Narcassist Ronaldo surely differs though!)

So what if some footballers said some polite and positive things about him in an interview? Just because they are good footballers doesn't mean they are good analysts of the game. Using their quotes is just a tedious appeal to higher authority tbh.

To be fair Cantona is the man accredited with dragging United out of the doldrums. Before 1993, United hadnt won a title in 25+ years. Cantona was the main man that season. He was the talisman for United's transformation from under achievers to winners once again. He may not be up there ability wise with some United greats, but he is a hugely influential figure in the clubs history. Without Cantona, who knows where United would be now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Brave man! :D

Has there ever been a 'Critique Cantona' thread? T'would be epic.

No hes their best ever player dont you know.

In my world he cleans scholes boots.

• Advertisement

So what if some footballers said some polite and positive things about him in an interview? Just because they are good footballers doesn't mean they are good analysts of the game. Using their quotes is just a tedious appeal to higher authority tbh.

The thing is these types of quotes aren't said about many players though, opponents and teammates alike.

I for one like reading the opinions of respected football authorities. Remember you have some respected managers in there (lippi, strachan) as well as good footballers.

It's not an appeal to higher authority. I have given my case for numerous pages before reverting to quotes. They are merely an argumentative tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

To the United fans choosing Keane, Ronaldo etc, thats fair enough. But remember that the majority of them (Keane, Rooney, Giggs) choose Scholes as United's best player in recent times. (The Narcassist Ronaldo surely differs though!)

Exactly, the likes of Zidane(who played in the same league as Xavi), Davids and Gudjohnson(who both played with Xavi) say Scholes is the best.

Yet we still have people on this thread claiming thats it's only shortsighted united fans who claims Scholes is the greatest and that Scholes is the best English player, Xavi is the best in the world. Absolute b******t .

It's just pure ignorance and disrespect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No hes their best ever player dont you know.

Yeah but in your world iniesta is a filthy Scumbag, so i imagine a few people don't care about your world.

The thing is these types of quotes aren't said about many players though, opponents and teammates alike.

I for one like reading the opinions of respected football authorities. Remember you have some respected managers in there (lippi, strachan) as well as good footballers.

It's not an appeal to higher authority. I have given my case for numerous pages before reverting to quotes. They are merely an argumentative tool

Fair enough you've made your case without quotes as well.

Personally I think a bunch of quotes from a mixed bag of ''footballing authorities'' is useless in a discussion like this.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Funnily enough, as a youth player it was probably the other way around for Scholes. Must have thought he was the luckiest kid in the world, scraping s***e off Cantona's boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Yeah but in your world iniesta is a filthy Scumbag, so i imagine a few people don't care about your world.

Sheeple

Not my fault they are that way, not allowed say anything about the player who cheated his way to 2 CL medals and and a EC /WC medal. Again no doubting this players ability its the fact hes a cheat and has been rewarded for cheating 4 feckin times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I'm sure in 20 years time when Xavi is polishing his WC, EC, numerous CL and Spanish League medals he will be the more satisfied.

OK so you view the question as the best player of Man U's Fergie era vrs someone else. My point was that it's kind of obvious how Man U fans are going to vote on a question like that. And if we don't have any non-Man U fans here arguing for Scholes, then the thread is kind of pointless, isn't it.

Also give us a break with the whole underrated, shy, nice-chap Paul Scholes nonsense. There's only so often people can call you the most underrated player before it's not true anymore.

Plus your average football pundit who speaks with a footballing sense designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator will pretty much all nowadays say what you're saying about Scholes:
    Oh people talk about the Giggs and the Keanes and the Beckhams but give me Paul Scholes any day

It's straight from the mentally challenged match of the day couch and it's become more obvoius and popular in the last couple of years as his career's heading towards it's finish. For me it holds about the same relevance as Giggs recent player of the season award.

So my point is that Man United fan's will obviously go one way on this thread whereas everyone else can see the obvious answer.

Now I notice we're digging up quotes about Paul Scholes. Most of them wouldn't by any chance be a response to a question asked about Paul Scholes would they?

OK so you view the question as the best player of Man U's Fergie era vrs someone else. My point was that it's kind of obvious how Man U fans are going to vote on a question like that.

In the exact same way as non United fans will pick Xavi without thinking. I'll admit, if someone put up a Gerrard vs Iniesta poll, I would be straight in voting iniesta without thinking about it. Same thing happening here. There are more ABU's here than United fans.

Plus your average football pundit who speaks with a footballing sense designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator will pretty much all nowadays say what you're saying about Scholes:

It's straight from the mentally challenged match of the day couch and it's become more obvoius and popular in the last couple of years as his career's heading towards it's finish. For me it holds about the same relevance as Giggs recent player of the season award.

Dont be such a condescending knob. You think we all rate Scholes so highly because we think it makes us sound like intelligent football fans? Thats retarded. We also have Rooney, Giggs hype shoved down our throats and used to with many other players. This isn't coming from listening to pundits, this is coming from years of watching United every week, and seeing how much worse we were without him in the side. Not every football fan bar yourself are idiots having their opinion formed by match of the day. We have much much more of the sentimental view with Giggs being heard every week yet you don't see threads comparing him in his prime to Messi.

Now I notice we're digging up quotes about Paul Scholes. Most of them wouldn't by any chance be a response to a question asked about Paul Scholes would they?

No, if you cared to read them, many of them are in response to questions such as "best player in the premiership" or "your toughest opponent"

In the exact same way as non United fans will pick Xavi without thinking. I'll admit, if someone put up a Gerrard vs Iniesta poll, I would be straight in voting iniesta without thinking about it. Same thing happening here. There are more ABU's here than United fans.

Sorry but we don't all work that way. I'm a rational free-thinking football fan. You may assume that everyone here picked Xavi cause we hate united and maybe some of them did, however I know quite a few impartial clear-thinking posters whose opinions I respect and I'm pretty sure they'd be of the same opinion as I am. Scholes amazing, Xavi better.

By your rational, there's actually no point in discussing any United rated matters here because everyone is either United or ABU. I don't think it's that way. There is a lot of nonsense, granted but you just need to look out for the sensible people.

Dont be such a condescending knob.

Don't make personal remarks.
    You think we all rate Scholes so highly because we think it makes us sound like intelligent football fans? Thats retarded.

No, you said that mature football fans rate him as your best and I simply said that's the standard line trotted out these days if you ask anyone for Man U's best player over the last 10-15 years.

I'm not sure where you got the rest from.
    No, if you cared to read them, many of them are in response to questions such as "best player in the premiership" or "your toughest opponent"

Hmm, the post isn't about best player in the premiership though, is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement