Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for fixing cracked chimney

Options
  • 03-12-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about what sort of cost I'd be looking at for a chimney repair.

My aunts chimney has a crack running around it horizontally. She doesn't really use the fire except to burn papers etc but that's maybe twice a year. We aren't sure if it's the result of a fire or what caused it, she recalls no fire and there's no smoke damage or sign of trouble within the house. Strangely I've noticed most of her neighbors have exactly the same crack in their chimney.

She has got one quote to fix it that was 5,500 from someone who gave it a look and said it was a result of fire. To me this seems excessive. Does anyone know if this is an average price?

I've told her to get other quotes etc but as she's sick she's inclined to stick with what she's got to reduce general hassle and because the man giving the quote seemed nice! I don't want to force the issue with her unless I've reason to think she might get a better deal elsewhere. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

5,500 what? Vietnamese Dong?

Seriously, get another quote. Unless he's planning to replace the whole chimney AND line it, that's crazy money. If the flue isn't cracked, it's just a patch up plaster job.

Is this outside? You mentioned seeing the same on her neighbour's chimney, so I assumed it was outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If its a simple replastering job it should cost €700 to €1000. Full knockdown and rebuild should not cost any more than €3000. That quote of €5500 has a ripoff stench off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I got the two chimneys on my new build plastered for €120 (beaded and lead put on too). With the way things are, I should expect you'd get someone to do fairly cheap.

Now if the crack is deep and goes completely around the chimney, I'd definitely recommend a rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Thank you both for the replies.

The crack is on the outside. From my vantage point on the ground it looks superficial but it does run right around the chimney so maybe it is a bigger deal. The flue doesn't have to be replaced but she's been told but the liners might.

She spoke to the guy who gave her the quote last night. Now he's willing to build from the crack up rather than knock the chimney ,thats maybe 18 inches, for 2500.

I think I'll definitely push her to get more quotes. Thanks a million again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why have you 2 accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

muffler wrote: »
    Why have you 2 accounts?

I'm not the only person in the house who uses boards. I accidently wrote that post not realizing that I was logged in under someone else's account.

More than one person per household is allowed use boards aren't they?:)

I assure you that there's no great chimney crack conspiracy requiring two mature boards accounts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    Thank you both for the replies.

The crack is on the outside. From my vantage point on the ground it looks superficial but it does run right around the chimney so maybe it is a bigger deal. The flue doesn't have to be replaced but she's been told but the liners might.

She spoke to the guy who gave her the quote last night. Now he's willing to build from the crack up rather than knock the chimney ,thats maybe 18 inches, for 2500.

I think I'll definitely push her to get more quotes. Thanks a million again.

2500 daylight robbery if you ask me. Is this going to be covered by any house insurance?

Advertisement