Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to power fans?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I am installing 4 new fans (2x Side, 2x Top)
    I have the Xilence 120mm fans. They have the standard 3 pin plugs as well as Molex connectors.

How do i actually use these? Do i need to plug them into Molex as well as the 3 pin plugs? I would prefer to have control over them?

If i need to plug them in via the 3pin plug can you link me to where i could get an adapter as my Mobo doesnt have enough connectors.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do the 3pin plugs have three wires or just the yellow one? If the former you can use either, if the latter you must use the Molex for power and the single-wire 3pin gives optional speed control if your motherboard supports PWM-over-tach (almost all do, but not always on every fan header! :o) If you use the Molex only you're stuck operating the fan at whatever voltage is being supplied - usually the full 12V, but you can get 7V by swapping the black wire terminal in the middle over to the far end from the 12V wire (5V rail - so 12-5=7V) or 5V by swapping the 12V terminal from one edge of the connector to the other ;)

Given the Redwings are low-noise/medium-airflow fans you can try running the fans straight off the PSU's Molex connectors if you want because even at 12V they shouldn't be too loud unless the fan is damaged ;) Swap down to 7V by swapping terminls as above and/or switch to PWM-enabled mobo fan headers if the noise is too much for you :)

Advertisement