Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuous attempts to get something fixed by Landlord

Options
  • 03-12-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Basically, our bath appears to be leaking and it has been going on for the past few weeks where it has got so bad that we can see the effects on the hallway in the apartment complex. Also, the light in our bathroom is gone and because of the screws on it, we can get no fitting to open it up, so no light for showers as well :(

However, despite numerous attempts to contact the Landlord, we have still had no one to come to check the bathroom.

So i'm just wondering what my rights are and if possible can I get someone exterior plumber to come in and then send the costs onto the Landlord? Or do I have to keep pestering the Landlord.

It's becoming a pain in the ass at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Taelated wrote: »

So i'm just wondering what my rights are and if possible can I get someone exterior plumber to come in and then send the costs onto the Landlord? Or do I have to keep pestering the Landlord.

It's becoming a pain in the ass at this stage.
    There is nothing stopping you getting in a plumber and paying them but if they're avoiding fixing the problem then its unlikely they'll pay you back immediately.

In an ideal world you'll either get the landlord to fix it or the LL will agree to pay the plumber to get it fixed but this is a simple job for even a DIYer - at worst replace the drain trap - so if they're not fixing it themselves already, well they're not interested.

sigh, I love how people come onto boards thnking someone will be able to give them a "magic word" that'll force the LL to magically fix everything - No PRTB isn't one of those words, yes it'll eventually get something done, in a few months or maybe a year but not right now so you'll have a leaking roof for a long long time........... You know yourself if they've the neck to avoid you they'll know the PRTB doesn't get around to complaints immediately so by the LL playing the odds you'll eventually move out and BONUS they might even get to keep your deposit (I know, I'm a cynic aren't I, I just don't trust LLs/letting agencies as none I've ever dealt with have played fair) I've posted the advice below in another thread so its copy and paste and the phrasing may not exactly suit this case but I'm too lazy to write it out again.

First
    Immediately start;
    1.taking photos of everything, especially mould on the ceiling.
    2. Calling and leaving voicemails where you record it on your phone if you can - keep a diary of all these contact attempts
    3. If you have an email address start emailing them, it really gives proof of attempting to contact.
    4. Send letters by registered post telling them you want the problem sorted.

Second
    Now I'm pretty sure the LL isn't going to spring into action and fix this problem - leaving aside they are already dodging you - They're not going to go to that expense if they can avoid it so your best bet is to keep badgering them or else move out. Try to get them to fix it before you hand in your notice but if they are avoiding you they know about the problem already and don't want to deal with it.

Third
    If you do move out you'll probably have a hard time getting your deposit back, this is where the photos, records of conversations, records of letters sent (send a few by registered post for proof of receipt) come into play. you may have to go to the PRTB and ask for a case to be taken against your LL if they don't return your deposit.

Q1 Is the LL registered with the PRTB? Its a legal requirement so they may not want to call attention to themselves if they haven't registered, that's an ace up your sleeve.
    Q2 Did you see a Building energy Rating (BER) when you moved in - again its a legal requirement so they may not want to call attention to themselves if they haven't paid to get the property inspected, that's a 2nd ace up your sleeve.
    Q3who is your local authority, find out and get the contact info of the rented housing inspections Dept. Tell the LL your contacting them if nothing gets done about the problem.

There is no easy fix here, your going to have to keep annoyin the LL until it is easier for them to give you your deposit back as soon as you move out or fix the damn leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Taelated wrote: »
    However, despite numerous attempts to contact the Landlord, we have still had no one to come to check the bathroom.
    Did you actually get to speak to the landlord?

If not, at this stage send a registered letter to the landlord, explaining the situation and get some quotes from reputable plumbers / electricians / handymen and deduct it from the rent. Keep receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you cannot get in contact with them, get a tradesmen and dock it off the next rent payment.

Keep receipts and don't overpay. Shop around for quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

If you cannot get in contact with them, get a tradesmen and dock it off the next rent payment.

Keep receipts and don't overpay. Shop around for quotes

Have a look at the services section on adverts.ie, there's a few plumbers offering there services for very reasonable rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Just be careful you dont get a cowboy plumber who will end up making it worse or doing other damage. The landlord wont pay for that and would be entitled to bring you to court for the damage.

I got a plumber once to fix a leak in the attic.
    After he went all looked fine. That night water was p1ssing down all over the bedrooms and right down into the kitchen.

He had fixed the leak, but must have stood on one of the other pipes, when we got another plumber to come back that day (yer man never answered his phone again or hung up when he did and we mentioned who we were) he showed us the bent pipe obviously caused by someone full weight stepping on it. It came away and was like a fully running tap up there all night.

The cost came to many thousands of euro so we had to get insurance involved. If it was only 1 or 2 thousand we would have had to pay it ourselves as the premium hike would have been too much.

Thank god for insurance.

Imagine having to call your landlord about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Advertisement