Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Convert a Table from PDF to Excel

• 03-12-2010 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am trying to copy a table from a PDF document to Excel but I can't get it to work for me!

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this successfully?

Thank You :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

How are you pasting the table into Excel?

Have you tried converting the pdf document to Word and pasting from it?

If its a public domain document, would you like to post a link to it and I'm sure someone would oblige..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ask the copyright holder to send you the original document that the pdf was generated from.

depending on the settings you can simply copy/ paste text from pdf or the settings could be set to disable printing and copying, I'd normally also print it as a graphic to obstrufucate text extraction when putting security on a pdf.

check the file properties to see what restrictions have been imposed, remembering that copyright automatically exists on every document

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It might be easier to save the page as a flat text and paste that into Word? Then convert it to a table? If you don't need to edit the data it, is there any way to paste it as a .bmp?
    I've never tried it, but it doesn't sound like something that would be transferred intact automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I am trying to copy a table from a PDF document to Excel but I can't get it to work for me!

Any chance you could attach the document? If you can copy/paste into something simple like Notepad, then adding Tabs in between the data in each columns will allow you to then copy/paste directly from Notepad into Excel. Of course that would be a real pain if you'd a lot of rows of data to copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,283 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pain in the ass. Tried exploring this for my old job. All you can really do is either transcribe the material manually, or get the publisher of the data to provide you an actual spreadsheet. Theres pay software out there that claims to do it, but thats only if you like @s and $s and Yen symbols showing up in your documents. Thats as far as I got with it, eventually just went back to time-heavy manual input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

In Acrobat change the view from one page to continuous. Then Select All and Copy. In Excel, Paste ..... try a few paste options ... formatted, unformatted, etc and see what you get. May not not be perfect, but hopefully you'll have all the data at least which you can then reformat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this successfully?

Thank You :)

This
    works well and for multi page pdf sheets is far better than the adobe pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomo87

Advertisement