Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in North London

Options
  • 03-12-2010 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm hoping to move to North London in the New Year and currently looking at places to live on the site spareroom.co.uk.

The one issue I have is that after ever place I research I keep on hearing, dont move there thats a dodgy area... and so on and so forth type of thing. I know every area has its bad areas but its getting to a point when its actually difficult to find a place area to live in. I looked at these areas and was warned off, Archway, Kentish Town and Finsbury Park...

Can people on here recommend places to live in North London, obviously I want to live near a tube line for work reasons.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

One thing I've found since moving to London is every area is considered a dangerous hole by someone. I've lived in Kilburn for the last three years and have always found it a friendly and safe place, but I have friends who live in West Hampstead (which is about 5 or 10 minutes from Kilburn at most) who seem convinced that it's a war zone where you take your life into your hands every time you walk down the street. Other posters have offered similar comments about Brixton, Clapham and Peckham.

Unfortunately a significant degree of the comments you'll receive will be personal bias and second-hand information. I'd suggest doing a bit of research on UpMyStreet to find out about the areas you're considering, and if possible give yourself a couple of options.

Personally I've found Kilburn to be fantastic - it's excellently served for transport (buses, tubes, overground and trains), has a good mix of pubs and restaurants (including a great little cinema and theatre, and several venues with regular live music), and is reasonably affordable by London standards. I've also heard good things about North Finchley from a couple of friends who lived up there, although I don't know as much about the transport links. Camden can be a great place to live if you can afford it and the local scene suits you - it can be tiring and stressful if not, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

I've lived North, West and now South London and never had any bother. In North London you'll be fine and none of it i would say is a 'no go zone' (accounting for somewhere like Stonebridge being North West). Still big Irish population all over the place. If you pitch up in Finsbury park, id recommend going towards the Highbury Hill/Angel end of it, or up Stroud Green road.

Just to give you an idea of price, I have a friend in a fantastic 5 bed house share by Arsenal's ground, and they just let a big double room for £450pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 waterford333

Thanks a mil for those posts.

Its so difficult moving over with an idea of what a place is really like, during the day it could be fine but at night it could be a different story...

Was looking at Wood green, or the turnpike area on the piccadilly line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bullsilver

You will find that the gov here have done a good job with the planning. It’s rare to find a really bad area instead what you will have is good areas interwoven with bad areas along side. As a general rule all the blocks are not great. But the north in general is a nice area. I live in Hendon and think it’s a great area and good value for money. I’m an estate agent and cover NW. out of the areas i cover Kilburn is good, Hampstead is very good, Willesden green good, Harlesden isn’t great, Neasden not great, Cricklewood is ok Queens park/ Kensal very good. That’s a bit of a summary on the area i cover. I would prob try gumtree for house shares as well. Just be careful as there are a lot of scams going over here:
    Don’t send money by western union to pay for deposits/ rent
    Try and get a car reg of any "landlord" who u give money to.

Also the rental market here is really competitive and busy. Just pick up a copy of the evening standard and u can see that most weeks. It would be a good idea to come over with 2 written references 1 landlord and 1 work and a copy of a bank statement to prove you have the funds to support yourself.

Having all this stuff isn’t a prerequisite but would put you in a much stronger position as a tenant. I hope this helps you

Advertisement