Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do winnings count as income for Means test?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was receiving Illness benefit until Oct, when I signed on for JSA and have been waiting for a payment since. Next week, i am due to meet the Social welfare Inspector for a means test. To-day, i got the good news that i have won some money in a credit union draw.Will that be included in my means and affect my JSA payment, even if I have to use it to pay off debts and pay bills or are such winnings exempt? What is the amount of saving you can have before they are counted? Any help appreciated as I've searched to no avail on other sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

I was receiving Illness benefit until Oct, when I signed on for JSA and have been waiting for a payment since. Next week, i am due to meet the Social welfare Inspector for a means test. To-day, i got the good news that i have won some money in a credit union draw.Will that be included in my means and affect my JSA payment, even if I have to use it to pay off debts and pay bills or are such winnings exempt? What is the amount of saving you can have before they are counted? Any help appreciated as I've searched to no avail on other sites.
    Winnings is not the issue here, its the amount of money you have in the bank/CU. The first 20000 is not taken in to account so unless you won a small fortune and you dont spend if your fine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Isthisnecessary

Thank you so much for putting me out of my misery; it wasn't anything like 20,000, just enough to pay the bills for the next few difficult months . I knew you were allowed some savings, but:) wasn't sure how much. thank you again.

Advertisement