Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord and ESB query

Options
  • 03-12-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

The ESB bill is with the landlord, he checks the meter and does the maths on it and adds it to my rent every month. So I asked him to call in to me 2 weeks ago which he has not done yet but had no problems dropping the letter with the esb and rent on it. The reason I asked him to call was that I have mould on my couch, my bathroom ceiling, in the wardrobes, and generally the apt is cold and damp. I have a 700euro suit which I recently had to wear at a meeting abroad which embarassingly stinks of mould. I am scared to put any of my clothes into the presses or wardrobe.
    The ESB problem is that I have the electric heaters on the go aswell as a dehumidifier to try to stop the mould wrecking my clothes, and I have got a 72 euro bill for one months esb. Its a small one bed. Am I justified in negotiating my bill? Any pointers what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I don't think you'll have much luck re-negoitating the ESB bill but you should definately tell your landlord that you want to see the bill before giving him the money for it. Or to see the meter if that's applicable.

Is the bill in your name or is it in the landlords name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

jetlagged wrote: »
    The ESB bill is with the landlord, he checks the meter and does the maths on it and adds it to my rent every month. So I asked him to call in to me 2 weeks ago which he has not done yet but had no problems dropping the letter with the esb and rent on it. The reason I asked him to call was that I have mould on my couch, my bathroom ceiling, in the wardrobes, and generally the apt is cold and damp. I have a 700euro suit which I recently had to wear at a meeting abroad which embarassingly stinks of mould. I am scared to put any of my clothes into the presses or wardrobe.
    The ESB problem is that I have the electric heaters on the go aswell as a dehumidifier to try to stop the mould wrecking my clothes, and I have got a 72 euro bill for one months esb. Its a small one bed. Am I justified in negotiating my bill? Any pointers what I should do?

Disclaimer; I own a house and rent it out but I have lived elsewhere at the same time so I can see both sides. I have moved out of a house due to damp in the room I slept in. Its not worth your health so unless its a very small amount of mould or you really, really love the apt you should move out

Your not going to like this but you can't negotiate the rent due to the use of electric heater, you knew they were there when you signed the lease. You may be able to renegotiate because of the need to use excessive amounts to combat damp but if the LL is ducking you over talking about the problem they'll duck this issue too. If they simply say no you'll need to take it to the PRTB to make it official. Thats a long process. If you feel strongly enough about it/you have the money to pay a 2nd deposit (the LL will be entitled to hold your deposit (I think) while the case is decided then I strongly urge you to go for it. I'm sick sh*t of these people who rent substandard accom. As I'm a LL as well I get tarred with the same brush so I'd love to see one of them get prosecuted.

First
    Check the citizens info, AFAICR your intitled to live in a damp free house.

Now i could be (in fact I am) painting a slur on the LL;s character here but they don't sound very good based on the little info you gave about them so....
    Second
    Immediately start;
    1.taking photos of everything, especially ruined clothes and mould on the wall/in the presses.
    2. Calling and leaving voicemails where you record it on your phone if you can - keep a diary of all these contact attempts
    3. If you have an email address start emailing them, it really gives proof of atempting to contact.
    4. Send letters by registered post telling them you want the problem sorted.

Third
    Now I'm pretty sure the LL isn't going to spring into action and fix this problem - leaving aside they are already dodging you - as this will mean a major job of stripping the apt, damp proofing it and then replastering it. They're not going to go to that expense if they can avoid it so your best bet is to move out. Try to get them to fix it before you hand in your notice but if they are avoiding you they know about the problem already and don't want to deal with it.

Fourth
    If you do move out you'll probably have a hard time getting your deposit back, this is where the photos, records of conversations, records of letters sent (send a few by registered post for proof of receipt) come into play. you may have to go to the PRTB and ask for a case to be taken against your LL if they don't return your deposit.

Q1 Is the LL registered with the PRTB? Its a legal requirement so they may not want to call attention to themselves if they haven't registered, that's an ace up your sleeve.
    Q2 Did you see a Building energy Rating (BER) when you moved in - again its a legal requirement so they may not want to call attention to themselves if they haven't paid to get the property inspected, that's a 2nd ace up your sleeve.
    Q3who is your local authority, find out and get the contact info of the rented housing inspections Dept. Tell the LL your contacting them if nothing gets done about the problem.

There is no easy fix here, your going to have to keep annoyin the LL until it is easier for them to give you your deposit back as soon as you move out.

Finally, if all goes well and you get your deposit back and you feel the apt is really bad please report them,
    AND
    (don't get insulted) but read up on your rights - as long as people don't demand to see BER certs or that they don't demand to be registered with the PRTB (signing the form before you move in) unscrupulous LLs will get away with this messing. There are a few threads on boards about things to look for when renting a new place, read them, make up a list and ensure you show the LL/letting agent your serious. Messers will usually then not rent to you and good LLs will be nervous but at least know your not a trouble maker.(yes it could be counter productive, you'll have to play each inspection by ear but you need to show you know your rights and won't be fooled with)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

wow thanks for that quiet sailor. misty cheese the bill is in his name.
    tbh that sounds like a lengthy road of stress..easier to move out I think! Reckon he'll be seriously unreasonable not to lower the rent for the winter months seeing as his alternative is me moving out. After all its the structure of the place causing the mould, in turn me using dehumidifiers driving up my ESB. €72 for one month in a tiny apartment is pretty high I think. I used to rent a two bed and our bill would be around €120 for 2 months...and the weathers only going to worsen coming into january.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you are renting the whole property (as opposed to just a room) and the lease is in your name then the ESB account should be in your name and you should be recieving the bills to your address in your name. The ESB is not the concern nor the business of the landlord and your current arrangement is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jetlagged wrote: »
    generally the apt is cold and damp.
    Why is is cold and damp? Does it have / get enough ventilation? Do you try to keep it warm? Is there penetrating damp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement