Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah jaysus me drill... :-(

• 03-12-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Borrowed a drill off a friend... A Black & Decker KR700CRE

2992.png

And now, after about six of using it, it's stopped working.. Plugged it in, and it's not turning.. It's not cordless so there are no battery issues... When I move the cable round a bit I can sometimes get a few kicks out of it but it never stays going for long..

Any off the top of the head ideas, before I confess...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

DId the cable get pulled. Check the plug end and see if the wires are connected and tight.

Then check the other end in the drill for the same. You will have to open the cover for this.

Take all proper precautions when dealing with electricity before you do this!! :)

It is possible also that one of the cores of the cable is broken close to a cord grip on either end.

Finally, if it's got a lot of work done, it might be worn or sticking brushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Borrowed a drill off a friend... A Black & Decker KR700CRE

When I move the cable round a bit I can sometimes get a few kicks out of it but it never stays going for long..

Any off the top of the head ideas, before I confess...

I would say there is a loose/faulty connection on the lead were it goes into the drill or more likely were the cable goes into the plug. did it get strained(did u throd on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah it's possible that it got pulled a bit... not hugely, but it's possible.. I'll open it up and have a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Wherever the flex enters the device or its plug is subject to the most strain and often breaks. Should be a matter of identifying where the break is by shaking the cable, then snipping the flex at the point of the break either at the drill or plug end, and reconnecting it. You'll lose a few inches of flex but otherwise should be as good as new.

okay I've rejoined the connections at both the plug ends and the strained looking part entering the drill and still no go... If I wanted to get a replacement piece of cable what do I ask for... There's two wires blue and brown, is it standard..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You could check the core of the cable for continuity and voltage with a multimeter.

No point in changing the cable if it's not the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

twin and no earth i think dont no what thickness best to bring it with you but make sure its flexi so it wont kink but the cable shouldnt be broke unless bad kink in middle somwhere and exposed wire is shorting but this would blow the fuse so long as the correct fuse was fitted.no foil

Avns1s wrote: »
    You could check the core of the cable for continuity and voltage with a multimeter.

well I think it's the cable cos it seems to work intermittently, when I move the cable.. This, of course could be coincidental... I have a multimeter.. I'll check it..

okay tested the power cable... put the multimeter across the blue wire and it reads 0.4ohms... 0.4ohms across the brown wire... Took the suspect section (that I cut off) it also measures 0.4ohms across both wires...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

well I think it's the cable cos it seems to work intermittently, when I move the cable.. This, of course could be coincidental... I have a multimeter.. I'll check it..

remove the cable from the drill entirely, and pull each core individually. Pull them quite hard aand the one thats broken should come out. That'll be the problem. Cut the cable back, and re-do

• Advertisement
Advertisement