Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shimano 8spd to 9/10spd

• 03-12-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Lo all,
    Would anyone know if a rear wheel with a Shimano 8spd 2300(HG50) cassette on it will take an upgrade to Tiagra 9spd or a 105 10spd or will I have to change the rear wheel axel/hub?

Thanks in advance

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

I had a rear wheel with an 8sp shimano cassette, I don't know which type, and I brought it to the bike shop along with a cracked rim rear wheel with a 9sp deore and they put the deore 9sp on to the hub of the 8sp and it was grand. they changed it in five mins and didn't charge me anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Yes, it will be 8,9 or 10 speed compatible. These cassettes are all the same width. You need to upgrade a lot more than a cassette though to change to 9 or 10 speed, shifters, chain and possibly the deraileurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks for the info lads. Am hoping to change the groupset on the bike but I wasn't sure whether I would have to change the wheel hub on the rear or not if I was to go Shimano 8spd to Shimano 9/10spd. I know that if I were to change to Campag I would have to change for definate.

Thanks again

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

You could change to Campag if you changed the freehub body on the rear wheel. I don't think they are very expensive (about €40 if I'm not mistaken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What about wheel dish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What about wheel dish?
    Not a problem as long as the axle width (between the locknuts) doesn't change.

Advertisement