Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is west wicklow/ carlow so cold

Options
  • 03-12-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

i have noticed on this weather forum that carlow/ west wicklow seem to be the coldest parts of ireland.why is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Carlow is currently -7.2

I can vouch that it is freezing... :(
    and that's reporting from my sofa with heating on full blast...

I don't know the official answer but I'm sure one of the experts in here will tell you soon enough.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Complaints about the weather from the sunny southeast ?? ;) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It really depends on the current weather situation , Donegal was the coldest county a few nights ago, and then the east was the coldest last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Like the Yellowstone freezer in the US these areas are:

1)Well inland

2)Surrounded by hills/mountains

3) Lowlying compared to surrounding relief which means they are major repositories of cold air draining from surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I see Blessington is down to -9C now, also the Arklow reading from the NRA site is about -6C is this also the same effect as the Arklow one surprises me being coastal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Arklow NRA has been reading 2-3C too low for weeks.
    Ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i have noticed on this weather forum that carlow/ west wicklow seem to be the coldest parts of ireland.why is this?

Blessington and tullow are both frost hollow locations, which on calm clear nights drop to extremely low temperature. But stop trying to steal my thunder, they're not the coldest part of ireland, thomastown in south kilkenny is. :D -16.3 last january and -16.4 last night, both the coldest met eireann recognised temps for both cold spells. For some reason, met eireann wont recognise villains tullow temp which was below -17 last january . . .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Villain probably went lower on that famous January night. For example, here on Friday night the Davis read -12.3c, whilst the thermometer read -12.7c.

A screen tends to be that tiny bit more accurate despite my Davis being calibrated and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭may2001

An old school teacher once told me that this was due to granite rock underlying these areas rather than limestone. I'm not sure whether there is any truth in this or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

NRA road weather had Baltinglass air temp -15.1 and road temp -10.1 at 09:10 this morning.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Birdnuts wrote: »
    1)Well inland

2)Surrounded by hills/mountains

3) Lowlying compared to surrounding relief which means they are major repositories of cold air draining from surrounding areas

now explain why the people are so cold

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Along the inland side of the wicklow mountains I suppose.

Baltinglass and that NRA road weather station are in a valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

fryup wrote: »
    now explain why the people are so cold

;)

well I'm freezing anyway :p

-9.7 in Carlow at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Driving from Aughrim before 8 this morning the temp dipped to -14. I don't think I've ever driven as tentatively.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Snowing here in Co. Carlow again. I have enough now,thanks, turn it off.

Advertisement