Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate this machine...............

Options
  • 03-12-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey folks what are your thoughts on the machine below as a mid budget gamer

MOtherboard: Asus P7P55D-E, Intel P55 Express
    Processor: Intel Core i5 760, Quad Core, 2.8Ghz, 8Mb Cache
    Cooler: Akasa Venom Ultra Performance CPU Cooler
    RAM: 4Gb (2x2Gb) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz

Graphics Card: 1Gb EVGA GTX 460 SC, 763Mhz GPU 336 Cores, 3800Mhz GDDR5
    or
    XFX HD 5870 AVP AMD / ATI Graphics Card - 1GB
    not sure which us better????? Adive please

Power: Corsair 600W Integration PSU - 80Plus
    Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
    and
    60GB SSD Corsair Force Series Solid State Drive

I Thing this would be a nice fast machine and i can always overclock the i5 if i needed more out of it.
    any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there is a big difference between the 460 and 5870 and tbh i would go with the 6870 as it is cheaper than the 5870 but the performance isn't that big
    do you have a case for it already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 The Forsaken

No case, ive have let to pick one, but i was posting the components here to see if im getting the best performance for my money. where is the most reliable place to buy these parts online? Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i agree, huge difference between the 5870 and 460, also the 460 youve chose is the gimped version, i.e. lower bandwidth bus and less vram, the 1Gig version is much much better and costs maybe 25-30euro more. Personally i would get a 5870 over a 6870 as the 6870 is slightly slower( about 2-10% ) and if you look at prices on overclockers.co.uk you can pick up a 5870 for about £180 whereas a 6870 is £210.

You can see here the 5870 comes out slightly stronger in most games - http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/15

Again its based on price if you can get a 6870 cheaper then go for it, its also a more powerful card than the Nvidia 460( not by a great deal though )

Also consider the 'proper' replacements for ATI's high end cards are out on the 13th of December, the 6970 and the 6950. Prices are only rumoured but will probably be 360euro/260euro respectively( again its a guess but it might drive down the prices of the 6870 also )

The rest of the rig looks good, i cant comment on the cooler as ive never heard of it and couldnt be bothered looking it up :)
    Im looking at the Corsair H70 as my cooler replacement :)

im growing fond of pixmania.ie after i couldnt get an eyefinity cable working right and got annoyed and went to RMA it and they offered to have a courier pick it up etc. which i thought was excellent as ive not had any other uk retailer do that( i know pixmania is based in France but still )

*EDIT* Prices for the 6970 and 6950 are rumoured to start at £360 and £250 respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I take it you don't need a screen or OS?

I recently ordered something very similar from Hardwareversand. I got the standard P7P55, the same RAM, CPU and the 500GB version of the T3. I also decided on the GTX 460. I skimped on the case - but I'm very happy with what I got for €30.

Before I was using an AMD 3200+, 1GB RAM, 6800GT and an absolute hair-dryer of a PSU - so there is little comparison in terms of performance. All in all, I'm absolutely delighted with the set-up.

If you do choose to order from Hardwareversand (as many have done here without incident) just be warned that you have to pay by credit transfer, which can slow the delivery down by a not inconsiderable amount of time. Form order to deliver was just shy two weeks, I think. Of course, the wather might not have helped.

Good build, IMO.

Cheers for the feedback, is there a need over overclock the i5? im pretty sure i can get 3.5Ghz not hassle with the cooler above. But not sure if i will need the performance for gaming?????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not sure about the Corsair CX600 PSU you listed, their new budget lineup is decidedly mediocre. If the 600W version also has a weak 12V rail compared to modern PSUs then OCing an i5 quad and a fairly hungry HD5870 could push it pretty hard.

And unless you're getting it for €20 I'd skip the Venom too; it may be garish but its no better than other "decent" full tower coolers like the CM Hyper 212+ or Xigmatek Gaia, both of which are much quieter and usually much cheaper too.

You can OC the i5 for SnG but the performance gains would most likely be felt most in everything but gaming :p Still handy enough as the HD5870 is an utter beast and the weakest card that can possibly get a good few titles CPU-limited at 1080p unless you OC the CPU a bit ;)

what psu would you recommend given that i intent to overclock and have a 5870???

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

what psu would you recommend given that i intent to overclock and have a 5870???

Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular PSU TPQ-850 or the 1000W version.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=1

A decent enough PSU that will get the job done. TBH any decent brand name PSU should see you right.

ya the price is way to expensive im looking for a recommendation for a low cost quiet PSU, any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Where are you ordering from?

Here's some from scan.

List around that spec - http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Power-Supplies/Modular-425w-700w/600W-700W

Corsair 650TX. Good, but not the newest of revisions. Better than the CX though.

XFX 650W Core Edition

New Antec 620W - apparently the same as seasonic's S12II 620W.

Modular
    Antec True Power New 650W
    - Good value at the moment for a modular PSU.

XFX 650W modular. It's out of stock. I'm not sure if they make these any more, I don't really see them around now.

All of these are good... and made by seasonic, but enermax and silverstone are good too, if you can afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Monotype wrote: »
    XFX 650W modular. It's out of stock. I'm not sure if they make these any more, I don't really see them around now.

Bizzarly Newegg are fully stocked up on these units, but not a single european based retailer has any of them in stock at the moment. :confused:

I'd love to know why, since you can still get any other XFX products including their non modular PSU range, so it can't be a distributation problem. Maybe the Americans get first dibs on a limited current supply?

Advertisement