Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of Changing D80 for D90

• 03-12-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I am fairly sure I will like this for Christmas :D
    I emailed Conns Camera's but never heard back - they snowed in or something ;-)
    I'm out of the country right now so that prevents me calling / dropping in.

Any other places to recommend or persevere with Conns?

BTW any opinions on the D3100 as a starter cam?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

why are you upgrading from a d80 to d90? so small a step, is it for video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's actually not a bad step up at all:
    Nikon D90 Advantages
    Resolution: The slightly higher 12.3 MP resolution on the D90 gives slightly more detail than what you'd get from the 10 MP sensor on the D80. You get a bit more headroom for cropping too.

Shoot movies with sound in D-Movie mode: This is the most notable step-up in functionality over the D80. If shooting 720p video clips with a large-sensor camera and SLR lenses is your thing, get the D90.

Live View: Live View offers the most accurate method of manual focusing if required. It also allows for easier shooting at awkward angles.

Rear LCD: The rear LCD on the D90 measures 3 inches, which is larger than the 2.5 inch LCD on the D80. The D90's LCD also has VGA resolution, which makes menus clearer and preview images sharper.

Better high ISO performance: Image noise on the D90 is very much lower due to the use of a CMOS sensor, compared to the D80 which uses a CCD sensor.

No purple blooming: If you shoot lots of night skies with long exposures, you'd be pleased to know that the CMOS sensor used on the D90 won't result in purple blooms near the edges and corners of the photo. You get this artifact if you shoot under the same conditions with the D80 due to its use of a CCD sensor.

Info button and readout: One press on the D90's Info button and the camera settings appear on the rear LCD. This is extremely useful if your camera is high up on a tripod and you can't read what’s displayed on the top LCD.

Dust-cleaning sensor: The sensor on the D90 can be set to vibrate at startup and / or shutdown (or switched off altogether) to shake off loose dust.

The D90 fixes many of the shortcomings on the D80: According to Thom Hogan:

If you're looking for the best tool for producing the best possible photograph, there's little question in my mind that the winner there is the D90. Indeed, I'm not sure how you can say otherwise. The D80 is actually my LEAST favorite of any camera Nikon has produced since the D70. It hot pixels worse than any other Nikon, Nikon never fully fixed the amp noise issue, it has the least capable high ISO JPEG from the same sensor as other Nikons (the D60, for example), and the matrix metering is horribly off-kilter. THAT'S a "pure photographic tool"? Sorry, but it looks as if the D90 fixes all of those things, so it wins on that alone in my book.

I have often considered trading my D200 for a D90 mainly for the much better noise handling. The only thing stopping me is the body, I have gotten so used to the size and weight of the D200, the D90 would feel small in my hands, also it's not weather sealed like the D200. D300s is where I want to go.

But if there's any improvement over your current camera, and it doesn't cost the earth [D90s are pretty cheap these days, buy a mint used one] then I think it's worth trading up for.

I've been impressed by what 've seen of the D3100, looks to handle noise extremely well. BUT, it's tiny, it'll be much smaller than your D80. Also it doesn't have the in-body focus motor so will not Auto focus with many older lenses. For the price, and if you're only after DX AF lenses, it's not a bad buy. Way too small for my liking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Any other places to recommend or persevere with Conns?

I'd recommend anyone besides Conns. One to avoid really. Their prices tend to be the most expensive.

If you want to buy in Dublin, try Berminghams or Gunns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

That's great info guys, yeah I heard here before about the noise on the D90 being good, and I do a little astrophotography so it should help.
    Vid is a nice to have but live view and especially better blowups is something I am interested in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

That's great info guys, yeah I heard here before about the noise on the D90 being good, and I do a little astrophotography so it should help.
    Vid is a nice to have but live view and especially better blowups is something I am interested in.

real world wise the mp increase in very very insignificant, maybe an inch bigger you can go

http://www.design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php

• Advertisement

Yeah, the MP count is the least significant update. Some of the newer Dslr with 16-18mp have been accused of not being able to handle that amount very well on a DX sensor, cramming too much onto a small chip has it's own set of issues, including noise. I think anything over 12mp should be kept to Fx/FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

You really ought to be looking to upgrade from the D80 to atleast the new D7000. It has solved some of the problem with the D90 and has much better video encoding.

Almost twice the price of a D90 body currently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Stepping up from a D80 to a D90 is a massive step up, even without the video aspect. It's a 3rd generation camera, greatimage quality, fast AF, great noise control at high ISO (Iso 6400 is easily useable on the D90).

The D80 struggles past ISO 500 and ISO 640 and is visibly poor at ISO 800.

As for MP count, My D3 is almost similar pixel count to a D90. I've printed A0 on a plotter (not a printer) on 80gram paper and the results were good enough from a 12.?MP file.

The biggest and best increase in usablility is the increased ISO use.

I've used a D200 (big brother to a D80) and a D90 and they are worlds apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm in the same boat..planning to sell my backup D80 for a used D90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade from a D70s to a D7000!

After extensive reading I think the D3100 is the best lower budget option, but only if you can get past the lack of motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd recommend anyone besides Conns. One to avoid really. Their prices tend to be the most expensive.

If you want to buy in Dublin, try Berminghams or Gunns.

+1 on Berminghams also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Conn's in reality pricing shocker!
    http://www.connscameras.ie/rode-stereo-videomic/698813000890pd.html
    I had this mic bought for me in B&H in NYC and it cost €250 and 8% tax which in euros is €186 (€201 with tax) just seen it on Conn's now for €199 so with the tax I paid more then Conn's!!

Conn's in reality pricing shocker!
    http://www.connscameras.ie/rode-stereo-videomic/698813000890pd.html
    I had this mic bought for me in B&H in NYC and it cost €250 and 8% tax which in euros is €186 (€201 with tax) just seen it on Conn's now for €199 so with the tax I paid more then Conn's!!

you can claim that tax back no?

Dunno, its only small and I'm not having any government snoopsters knowing my business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

-1 on berminghams for me. last time i was in there, i walked out after standing at the counter for two minutes without being served, and i was the only customer in the shop.

-1 on berminghams for me. last time i was in there, i walked out after standing at the counter for two minutes without being served, and i was the only customer in the shop.

This happened to me in Conn's, no lie. I was the only person in there the one time i ever went in, and the guy actually went and answered the phone before offering to serve me, and I was there at the counter before the phone rang.

I rang them this morning for a quote on my D200 ... utter robbery what they offered. BUT - at least the guy I talked to suggested I try sell it private as it cuts out the middle man [them] and he admitted they only offer so much as they have to inc VAT and profit and they offer whoever buys it from them a warranty. Not like I didn't know this already, but at least for a salesman he was honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I recently upgraded my D80 for a D7000. Its a big step up from the D80 - I felt the D90, whilst a great camera is too close to the D80. The D7000 has much better noise handling, faster frame rate, better build, shutter rated 150K, HD video (if you like that sort of thing), 39 point AF, 100% Viewfinder (and really bright) - all that and 16Mp. Downside is its a lot more expensive - I've seen the D90 new (body only) around €650 in Gunns.

I asked today about the price for body only, €799! If I had that spare I would definitely wait for the rest towards a D7000.

This was taken late at night (just after midnight) 1/5th handheld at ISO6400 - straight from camera (except for curves and white balance). Gives an idea of how D7000 handles noise!

C9A7B2E68F574A43B3287CEF9B3529E8-0000315935-0002065854-00800L-0C2D1397B2AF47A0A0B2029F8B17EE85.jpg

• Advertisement

See, my D200 would show more noise at ISO 500 than that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I think the biggest down side to the D90 is that with the release of the D7000, Nikon have, for the most part, abandoned the D90. They haven't updates the fireware ever and now probably won't. Nikon have also said the the rolling shutter problem when shooting video can't be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This was taken late at night (just after midnight) 1/5th handheld at ISO6400 - straight from camera (except for curves and white balance). Gives an idea of how D7000 handles noise!

It says on your exif data that it was shot at ISO 3200

That's true, and it's a hard image to really judge the noise on. You need to up one with more dynamic range in the scene. more blacks and mixed colours. And give us a peek at 6400 for real ;)

I had an offer for my D200 yesterday, I told them €20 more plus collection, no word back. People want thigs brought to their door now huh, for half nothing.

I was also offered a straight swap for a Canon 40D. That would be a very weird exchange. Nothing against Canon, but there's only one of their models would get me to switch atm, that's the 5D mk II, and I won't be affording one of them anytime soon, even if I managed to get what I wanted for all my gear.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    It says on your exif data that it was shot at ISO 3200
    :D

That's true, and it's a hard image to really judge the noise on. You need to up one with more dynamic range in the scene. more blacks and mixed colours. And give us a peek at 6400 for real ;)

would that have any effect really tho? the best way is same shot same exposure with a few cameras, i dont think a dynamic range increase increases noise? its for over activity on the sensor?

All I know is darker areas tend to show up bad noise a lot more so than brighter areas. But yeah, the exact same image shot at varying ISO levels would work best. You don't even need to show them all - 100, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 & 6400

Oops - I can't read! Sorry - didn't intend to mislead :(

I will try and take a series of shots at different ISO settings day at f8 on a 50mm f1,4g Nikon - In aperature priority mode on a tripod - it will be artificial light indoors. Would that be suitable?

You'll want to do it on full manual, so there's zero difference between each shot. Changing the ISO will definitely promt the camera to make changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You'll want to do it on full manual, so there's zero difference between each shot. Changing the ISO will definitely promt the camera to make changes.

He has it right. He will need to adjust the exposure when changing the ISO so the shots aren't over/under exposed.

I have finally got around to taking and posting the shots I promised. They were all taken in Aperature priority mode, f8, using a Nikon 50mm 1.4G lens under tungsten lighting with white balance set to auto. I used a tripod and timed release (to avoid shake). I then took the same shot using the same setup with my D80.

The only difference between the D7000 shots and the D80 shots is that is used the "small setting for the jpeg files on the D80 and the fine on the D7000. This is because anybody who is thinking of upgrading from a D80 already knows how it handles noise - the other reason is that I have used up too much of my monthly Pix.ie upload allowance - those VIP's can afford to be easy with the uploads!

Both sets of photos were taken as jpegs with standard settings and NO PP at all!

PS It will take a while for all the files to upload - 15 files, 81.7Mb! :D

D5B66FA79647498E902132DCFD76D050-0000315935-0002072325-00800L-8F97DA8C79004DF6819571C9FCB8E69D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Do the colours from the D80 appear more saturated ? Noise handling is fairly similar in those pics.
    Am I wrong ?

mad difference in the saturation alright. The D7000 definitely produces the more natural looking colours. I can see some difference at ISO 3200, the D7000 handling it slightly better. But, to be honest, the D80 done well here.

Actually, looking at both side by side @ 1600, on the very large view so both are equal, the D7000 annihilates it in terms of detail - check out the detail on the crown and the king's shoes. The D80 image looks soft and lacks the finer detail of the D7000 shot.

Advertisement