Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Vs the Christmas Tree

Options
  • 03-12-2010 9:33pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do with my Christmas tree. James is 10 months and having lots of fun pulling things around and knocking things over. I want to put up a tree but I'm not sure what to do to stop it being pulled down or harming him.

Any tips from those more experienced than I?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had my cat,a 4 month old puppy and an 11 month old for Christmas last year.
    I put a fireguard around the tree and put it in a corner,2 sides were the wall and then the other 2 were fireguard.
    It worked.
    Putting it in a playpen works too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Blockade as Moonbeam said! We used to put the coffee table in front so she couldn't get to it... this year Saoirse is not yet mobile and Addie just likes to try to blow out the lights cos she thinks they are "burney!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Put mine in a corner too, but also tried to limit temptation by leaving the bottom 1/3 of the tree bare, ie no shiney baubles or candy canes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Emma's 16 months.

once she realised all she could reach was tinsel/lights/beads (the baubles are too high) she gave up on the tree altogether and its only up 5 days!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Emma's 16 months.

once she realised all she could reach was tinsel/lights/beads (the baubles are too high) she gave up on the tree altogether and its only up 5 days!

Tinsel lights and beads sound right up James's alley! :)

I can't afford another fireguard, I suppose I could put the coffee table up against it but it would still be exposed.

Hmmm I really timed my family planning wrong didn't I? ;p

• Advertisement

Well I put it up today finding it hard to keep it fully blockaded! He's a crafty little scamp! Next year hopefully we won't need such measures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Megan isn't too bothered by it at all!! I'm quite impressed. She points at the tree alot and if you ask her where the christmas tree is she'll look and point. She'll sometimes tickle a couple of the baubles too, but only very delicately!

I was expecting to have to redecorate my tree every day, but so far so good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

elisha only started crawling the day i put the xmas tree up and she's not bothered by it at all. Hasn't gone near it, now the fireplace is a completely different story. She is obsessed with going over to it, no fire even lit. Is there any way to stop this, i heard that i shouldn['t be saying no or ahah as this is given her attention. So i've been just lifting her away from it. But two seconds later she's back at it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We stuck ours in the sitting room and we try to keep the youngest one out of there to be honest (she's the same age as your youngfella DK). With Róisín (now nearly 4) we used to tie the tree to a nearby solid object to prevent her pulling it over. That worked out ok too.

The fire guard sounds like a great idea though.

I have the coffee table up against it (there's no way underneath it). He can reach one decoration, a little knitted sock, so he takes that off and waves it about. When he drops it I put it back. Seems fairly satisfied. The true testis today as he's back to himself after being sick. Maybe I shouldn't have put the good ornaments on it (I'm a collector). Hmm.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

put it in the corner with the coffee table on its side with the legs inward, in front of the tree. if you have a sofa to push up so two legs are against the wall and two against the side of the sofa.

or put the tree in the corner with two chairs on their side in front with legs against each wall and the backs pointing in to meet at the centre, making a square. dad used to do this to protect the dog from visiting toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I had to buy a crappy little 3ft one this year and just stick it on a table he cant reach (he's 14 months) Please god next year he wont be as hyper and I can get a nice 6ft one instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Buy him his own tree in the E2 shop.

Advertisement