Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

emissions trouble, HELP!!

• 03-12-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hey all,

ive recently put my car through the NCT twice, and both times it failed on the emissions! ive brought it to 2 garages, the first garage said he could find nothing wrong with the seals etc, the second garage tested it, cleaned it, flushed it, and made me spend over 100 quid on it! when i put the car through the test the second time, it failed AGAIN! this time the idle emmisions where higher than before.

can anyone tell me what could be wrong with it!?

its only recently been serviced etc so im stumped

thanks
    CB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

CAT or faulty lambda sensors aro most common problems in these cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please post the numbers from the NCT report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cogiebear

thanks the no. are as follows:

Low idle: CO 4.59vol%
    (680rpm) HC 194ppm

High idle Lambda 1.00
    (2,980 rpm) CO 0.42vol%
    HC 65 ppm

Engine/oil Temp 88oC

This is the second test which was done today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I agree with MarkoC oxygen sensor more likely. Some recommend using diptane to lower emissions and driving for a while to bring everything up to temp and blow out crap from engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

o2 sensor or cat most likely, Did the garages not do a emissions test to check it? What did they check? What make of car is it?

• Advertisement

yea, they did a check, they put in 2 flushes into it aswell, when i brought it into the garage during the week, the emmision were down to 2.05 vol% but its meant to be at .50vol%.

the car is a 00 old model opel corsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

are there two o2 sensors on this car? Would he then replace both of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

are there two o2 sensors on this car? Would he then replace both of them?

If the car has two sensors then
    Sensor1 controls the fuelling and mixture
    Sensor2 just monitors the CAT's performance?

AFAIK thoses Corsa's might only have one.

Has anyone scanned the car for faults and read the live data to see that the sensor is switching properly? Is the engine reaching correct operating temperature (thermostat ok?)

Also what mileage is on that car? And do you have any current or previous running problems with it?

nope nothing like that has been done, the feller in the garage went over it for loose fittings etc and he said it was fine, the second garage said he checked it all and then put in a flush.

when i first got it, a boyracer decided to tamper with it, timing chain was loose, and the sprocket was on backwards, altinator belt was too big an to narrow, airintake was some stupid performance thing.

there's 62k miles on it,

I would get the car scanned and the O2 sensor output checked to see what's happening. There could be a fault elsewhere which could be causing the sensor to stay high or low, and screw up the emissions. Changing parts on a hit-and-hope basis is a good way to be spend a lot of money you don't need to ;)

• Advertisement

cogiebear wrote: »
    airintake was some stupid performance thing.

there's 62k miles on it,

Sorry just copped this bit, what exactly was done to the intake? Was the airflow meter messed with in any way?

the airfilter was taken off and some steel performance filter was put onto it, which i took off straight away,

Ah, a K&N job by the sounds of it. The airflow meters in those Corsa's gave a heap of problems too, and sometimes they screwed the emissions up no end. Again, I reckon you should have the car checked as I suggested above. There are a number of other things that can gripe up the emissions on those things.

Given that the car was in a boy racers hands, the cat and the O2 sensor will have both led a hard life!

Advertisement