Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow clearance and the Management Company

Options
  • 03-12-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Given that we have forfeited our rights to local authority maintanance when it comes to upkeep of our estate; would it be to much to expect the Mgt Company to provide some assistance in clearing our local roads in Charlesland? They're doing nothing else or if they are its somewhere else. Our roads are the worst around. We're paying these buggers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

I was very surprised to see our management company sent some kind of snow plough tractor thing, as they do the bare minimum otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I can't imagine they have 'accounted' for contigencies such as this. However, If the gardeners are not doing anything while the snow is here, perhaps the cost of that maintenance can be diverted to at least clearing the roads.

In any event I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears UNTIL someone gets hurt...and then the PL insurance premium goes up!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

I'm not 100% on these figures but bear with me. say there is approx 1500 units in charlesland ok, say the average revenue generated from each unit is €400 p.u., this is total annual revenue of €600,000 between the 4 or 5 different management companies! surely 2k/3k could be pulled from the hat between each of them to provide gritting for the entire estate? It's not much money in the grand scheme of things

Bearing in mind these "management fees" were set in boom times, both raw material and labour rates have dropped significantly since 2008 yet the fees have remained the same. I mean with property tax and water rates set to kick in shortly maybe this is something we should be addressing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

hi,

Just wanted to get some advise as im not too sure where I stand on this one...
    Due to all the snow our and a few of our neighbours gutters have been broken off.
    Now in fairness they couldn't handle the rain let alone melting snow and ice.

I've looked at other peoples gutters and they seam to be fine due to the amount of brackets being used, ours unfortantly where probably done last thing on a Friday afternoon and it shows as the brackets (whats left of them) are spaced further away from each other making the guttering so much more weaker.

I've had to go up and fix the leaky gutter twice since living here..
    It seams to me that not only did they not use enough brackets but cut the actual guttering to short for the 2 ends to meet, also why has a block of 8 houses only have 2 down pipes...?

I have to remind myself though that this was done back in the day when there wasn't enough hours in the day for these poor builders.

Admitingly, Me or the snag list company i used didn't spotted this, so this probably means it's going to come out of the home owners pocket.??
    The chances are that i'll end up fixing it as i know it'll be done properly this time

Any advise folks as im at a loss as what to do...?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

You might have seen my previous post on the gutters.. the mgmt co will give you a phone number of someone who fixes the gutters for the apartments ( because the repair of same is included in their fee) - it isnt for us, so you will need to fork out.

We have had ongoing issues with them on gutter issues for 4 years. They remain in a state despite being 'fixed' and we have interior flooding as a result! So Im now seeing what kind of legal action can be taken.

Maybe you will have better luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Why are the mgt companies not gritting the roads??

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Because it would cost them money and they like to make money. And it's not in their ''exact'' brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Because it's not budgeted for.

Theres five different companies involved in charlesland, we would have to get 5 different gritters or 5 different invoices either which way not easy.

I think our bigger concern is the idiot in the white Mitsubishi coupe driving around pulling handbrakers at wert corner.

Anyone know who this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I took a walk over to Superquinn earlier on today and found it terribly difficult due to the compacted ice on the footpaths - I was even wearing rigger boots. So I took it upon myself to at least clear the footpath in front of my own house. One of my neighbours soon after cleared the footpath to the front of theirs.

I suppose it's up to us to get stuck in. Not much we can do about the roads, but at least you're doing something.

Edit: I also put some salt on the footpath trusting it won't freeze over and catch someone out!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GBP2010

id say charlesland wood mgt company ( wyse )are too busy counting their scandelous €30k fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wow GBP2010. You signed up just to post that. Wyse must be quaking.

Back on topic: In fairness, having seen estates around Dublin last week, both council and private, we're not nearly as bad off as you might think. All roads have been passable in the estate in any type of car.

Astro is right. It's up to each of us to clear our own paths (if so inclined). Just don't do what my parents' next door neighbour did and clear their driveway by shovelling all the snow out onto the footpath outside, thus making the path impassable! :eek:

[MOD]alright, keep it friendly and on-topic please.[/MOD]

ok Loyatemu fair point. Mike's contribution is 'friendly' ? re: quaking . why wasnt that edited ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GBP2010 wrote: »
    ok Loyatemu fair point. Mike's contribution is 'friendly' ? re: quaking . why wasnt that edited ?

"on-topic" includes not kicking off a row about the moderating - if you have a problem, take it to the Helpdesk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

caji wrote: »
    Why are the mgt companies not gritting the roads??

The Council wouldn't either.

I presume all the whingers here have cleared the snow and ice on the path in front of their own houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I was kindly going to grit the road outside the crescent with the last of our grit that we bought a few weeks ago to find some effer had stolen it from the bin shed!

Gotta love the levels people will go to.

Advertisement