Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Issue

• 03-12-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Greetings all. After browsing many other threads I've been unable to troubleshoot this issue myself.

So my provider is perlico and I live on the outskirts of Blackpool in Cork. About 4 months ago there was a huge fault or so I was told when I phoned. Sine then I personally have been plagued by issues. I wont get into those here since they are too numerous.

Lately as in the last 3 weeks, the broadband has been completely dire. For casual browsing the broadband works. However it seems when I put a strain on the line that I get constant micro dc's. As In the net goes down for a couple of seconds and come back up again. While not a huge problem for a casual user I game alot. When the net drops even for those few seconds I get dropped from the game.

Yada yada, these are my linestats as of 8:51pm
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 6.9 db 24.0 db

During the day at around 2pm I detailed them at
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 12.1 db 24.0 db

I have noticed that the Downstream Noise MArgin drops below 6db or to be more accurate 5.8 when I get a disconnect.

Now as to troubleshooting I have tested my modem in the main phoneline socket and also using filters. Pulgging in and out filters. Replacing all my filters. Replacing all my cables, I even replaced my modem 3 times and the line stats show very little variation.

Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geckko

The fact is that the industry is spending bucketloads of money putting their kit into exchanges which allows them to make all those glossy ads that tell you how they provide amazing bandwidth.

Unfortunately, the quality of your service is determined by the infrastructure from the exchange to your house, which is 20-30 years old, obsolete and of no interest to them. They just want your money, not your problems.

This country is a joke for technology.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your problem is your snr. And you are getting the disconnects because your snr decreases not the other way around as you describe it.

You can read about snr here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

There have been varous threads on here over the yearsa about snr deteriorating at particular times of the day but no one came up with a deifinite solution as far as I can recall.

One answer is to decrease speed but are you are on a fairly low speed anyways that is not an option.

Some makes of router/modem are better at dealing with low snr - netgear for example.

What is the quality of your internal wiring like?

The attenuation would suggest you are far enough from the exchange too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jayse

Details of the circut, pic attached.
    From the main socket line splits for a phone and about 2m of cable running from living room (Main socket located here) through to our kitchen.
    Line in the kitchen splits for another phone and then the dsl line runs upstairs through perhaps 8m of cable to my room where the modem is situated.

Ive included a crappy paint drawing of my actual line setup as it is right now.
    However I have tried this with the modem directly at the line in socket too with similar line stat results.

However the cabling was all redone myself about a month ago. Im reasonably sure that its correct and working as it should be since the net actually improved since the new line went in however I now had micro disconnects instead of huge long disconnects like before. Still not the ideal situation for a gamer :(

Advertisement