Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jaguar 2.5V6 - Tapping Noise from Engine

• 03-12-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have a 2003 2.5V6 X Type Jaguar that is making a loud tapping noise from the engine while being driven. I have had it serviced, checked the oil levels and still no joy with the problem:confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Adjust the valve clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

did a mechanic service it??? i would be worried if he did and didnt mention to you about it and what needs to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Aside from the very knowledgeable members on here, you might also want to visit jag-lovers.org and jaguarforums.com which I find a great resource for all types of jaguars, full of very clued in owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sounds like a tension sprocket - did you check the release shaft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Adjust the valve clearance

It would be interesting to know how you would do this...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

when does the tapping noise occur it could be many things.

Does it go away, does it occur at idle.

does it vary with engine revs.

Can you tell where it's coming from, if it occurs at idle use a lenght of rubber hose to listen to the engine, and try to pin point the cause.

Has the correct viscosity oil been used at recommended intervals for the full life of the car ? From a project car Car Mechanics had some time back I think these 2.5s are really fond of the correct oil and if neglected the variable valve timing mechanism can get noisy, most of these mechanisms rattle or tap when they are in trouble. These 2.5 V6s really do ask for neglect as some of the spark plugs are a bit of a job to do and many places may not bother their arse replacing all six. The timing mechanism is just a suggestion though, most V6s also have a variable air intake yoke that may get noisy too when bits are worn (Rover KV6 is a hooooor for it, thankfully mine is knock/rattle/tap free at the moment :cool: ).

Wouldn't imagine its valve clearance on that motor to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

the vvti unit may get noisy on the v6 but will only tap on start up, a blip of the throtle will get a clack noise and the tapping noise will stop.
    Valve clearance is not an issue on this engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I have a 2003 2.5V6 X Type Jaguar that is making a loud tapping noise from the engine while being driven. I have had it serviced, checked the oil levels and still no joy with the problem:confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Hi,
    The Jag V6 is Really A FORD unit underneath;),does is sound like any of the noises in the videos i have linked??
    The Ford units did suffer a LOT of Headgasket failures which resulted in a ticking noise.http://www.talkford.com/topic/122536-videos-demonstrating-common-problems-and-queries-with-the-v6/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I will give them to another mechanic to check the valve timimg issue.

I might as well be looking into a field of nettles for what i know about cars.:D

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
Advertisement