Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering in College

• 03-12-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Im a pretty good engineering student in school. Always get an A1 in any theory test and my practical work is pretty good. Unfortunately, this year I had to drop honours maths. If I worked really hard and dedicated a lot of time to it I could've scraped a C maybe but I have too many other subjects that I'm better off giving my attention to. I understand all about alternative ways of getting into an engineering course with ordinary maths but I just wanted to know how maths orientated are most engineering courses? I love the Leaving Cert engineering course and find it really interesting. I enjoy thinking out new concepts and designs for practical work but I would be put off if a course contained a lot of complex maths. Hope someone can shed some light on the situation. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

An Engineering degree is by and large a Maths and Physics degree. There are some practical elements (And plenty of) but you're going to be spending a lot of time studying Physics/Chemistry behind materials and maths.

I do LC Engineering as well and I like the subject. It doesn't give a true reflection of Engineering at university though. You need a good standard of Maths to complete an Engineering degree no matter what way you get in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Thanks. I'm not too bad at maths and suprizingly enough I do enjoy puzzling things out in maths. I'm almost in a middle ground (as I'm sure a lot of students are with Maths). I find Higher maths a bit too hard and Ordinary maths a bit too easy. Pity engineering courses aren't more like the Leaving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I'm a maths student in Trinity, with a bit of physics, and two of the guys I live with are Engineering students.

I've seen their homework. The maths isn't difficult. The maths in my course isn't even difficult (except for analysis but i seriously doubt you'd be doing that...).

However, the physics seems quite difficult. I'd have to spend quite a long time thinking about their problems before i'd be able to solve them.

If you're serious about doing Engineering you'd want to be doing Applied Maths for the LC. (Best subject ever.:D) If you're not doing it you should have a read through the book, Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy. It's like an introductory course to engineering, in a way..

Advertisement