Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route Limerick - Macroom tomorrow

Options
  • 03-12-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Best route Limerick - Macroom?

Looking at the internet Map it looks like windy backroads from Mallow to Macroom or go via Kanturk?

What do the locals recommend. I will have SatNav to guide me.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be honest,any of the backroads are going to be hairy enough. My brother-in-law is in Kanturk and says any of the roads around are cat at the present.Would you be better off to go to Cork city and out that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Well I made it there and back ok with Satnav bringing me cross country Mallow - Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well I made it there and back ok with Satnav bringing me cross country Mallow - Macroom.

What are the roads like around Macroom please? We need to trade there on Tuesday if possible, coming on from north of Enniskeane

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Graces7 wrote: »
    What are the roads like around Macroom please? We need to trade there on Tuesday if possible, coming on from north of Enniskeane

Thank you

I got on ok but conditions change daily, I'm not from the area either so no idea where Enniskeane is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Graces7 wrote: »

Thank you

Come via Beal na Blath, Crookstown, Lissarda and you should be fine. My wife has been driving around those parts all week and as long as you take it slow you'll be fine.

Avoid the Coppeen, Terelton route, roads are way worse there due to the amount of twists and turns and hills :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Best route Limerick - Macroom?

Looking at the internet Map it looks like windy backroads from Mallow to Macroom or go via Kanturk?

What do the locals recommend. I will have SatNav to guide me.

I think overall you'll be quicker taking the longer (in distance) route via Cork city, main roads are all fine this morning. Traffic is moving slower than usual but I can guarantee you that your journey will be quicker and safer than going via Kanturk and Millstreet. A friend of mine tried to drive Millstreet - Macroom yesterday and had to turn back coz of the amount of black ice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Come via Beal na Blath, Crookstown, Lissarda and you should be fine. My wife has been driving around those parts all week and as long as you take it slow you'll be fine.

Avoid the Coppeen, Terelton route, roads are way worse there due to the amount of twists and turns and hills :)

For this, thanks. I am still new around here and can be relied on to get.. almost lost... on these lanes. Pretty drives though ;)

Last time I set out to go via Newcestown as we are on that side of Enniskeane, and missed a turning in the dark. ( leaving here around 7 am )

Ended up at Coppeen somehow.

It is far too cold to be at an outdoor market just now; so we will leave it for this week as the forecast is still bad. Breathing outside walking the dogs early today was painful.

The drive to Cobh yesterday ( indoor craft fair) was interesting in parts..Our car is small and not a 4 wheel drive. Not good roadholding in ice.

Advertisement