Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license an X-box

Options
  • 30-11-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

just out of interest,if you have a pc monitor that u hook up both ur pc and xbox to,does that count
    At the moment i live at home and i would be interested to know when i do move out,whats the story here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The PC monitor is not a TV so you don't need a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Fol20 wrote: »
    just out of interest,if you have a pc monitor that u hook up both ur pc and xbox to,does that count
    At the moment i live at home and i would be interested to know when i do move out,whats the story here?
    If your setup is capable of receiving a broadcast then you would need a license but that setup is not capable without extra equipment so no, you would not need a license in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fol20 wrote: »

Does it have an inbuilt TV tuner? If so then technically yes it would need a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

murphym7 wrote: »
    The PC monitor is not a TV so you don't need a TV license.

true but if the monitor is attached to a pc with a tv card then it is considered a TV for licence purposes.

as for the OP's question. Your responsible you can see the quote form the an post website that says the person resident is reponsible despite who owns the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kingkingmax

It said "Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence. "
    If I want to buy a television which is just for playing XBOX games, do I need to pay for the TV license?
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If I want to buy a television which is just for playing XBOX games, do I need to pay for the TV license?

Yes, even if you've a tv that's broken you have to buy a tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Posts moved

Is it possible to get a X-box connection that works with a computer monitor and doesn't have to use a tuner (TV-type) connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Victor wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a X-box connection that works with a computer monitor and doesn't have to use a tuner (TV-type) connection?

Yes, there is a 360 VGA cable to use it with a PC monitor.

Advertisement