Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball Pictures/Video's thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Gotta love Spanish Basketball.... :pac:

Holy F*ck, are you kidding me?? Is that the best last minute of a game anywhere ever??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Holy F*ck, are you kidding me?? Is that the best last minute of a game anywhere ever??

Has to be for me anyway. I didn't know Gus Johnson had a twin brother.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

EDIT: This is one of the best passes I've ever seen. A 65 foot chest pass. Unbelievable.

Are you a Warriors fan? It was a good pass, but one of the best you've ever seen? Come on. Those kind of passes are made every week in the NBA. Good, yes. Amazing, no.

While we're on the subject of hectic last minute game winners, don't know how anyone hasn't posted this one from a couple months ago.

moneyman wrote: »
    Are you a Warriors fan? It was a good pass, but one of the best you've ever seen? Come on. Those kind of passes are made every week in the NBA. Good, yes. Amazing, no.

Maybe calling it the best pass ever was a bit much but I still think it was the best assist that I've seen this season.

And those kind of chest passes happen every week in the NBA?. Really?

Maybe calling it the best pass ever was a bit much but I still think it was the best assist that I've seen this season.

And those kind of chest passes happen every week in the NBA?. Really?

First of all, I don't know why you're emphasising the chest pass. It's the easiest form of pass to make when throwing a pass that distance. Overhead pass is more difficult in that situation, obviously a bounce pass isn't possible, javelin throw is far more difficult (like the one I'm about to show you which happened a few weeks ago), etc. Very nice find by Curry, but certainly not the pass of the season.

Here are a few similar passes that I can recall just from memory this season. I think most are superior to Currys.

Now if you want to argue that may be pass of the season, I could handle that. Decision made instantaneously, no dribble to set himself up, tougher type pass, further away, and right on the money. Anyway, the point isn't that Currys pass isn't the best of the season, it's that similar passes would happen far more regularly than you're letting on.

Here are some others, I'm sure you could easily find more:

Very similar to Curry's.

Helps when Griffin is your target, but the point remains. Not trying to nitpick or anything, just thought it was an exaggeration of Curry's pass.

• Advertisement

Here are a few similar passes that I can recall just from memory this season. I think most are superior to Currys.

None of those assists bar Wade's had the distance that Currys had though. He practically threw it from the other teams Free Throw line.

Anyway it's all subjective . :)

None of those assists bar Wade's had the distance that Currys had though. He practically threw it from the other teams Free Throw line.

Anyway it's all subjective . :)

Anyway it's all subjective .

Wasn't trying to take anything away from Curry's pass, which was great, just was surprised at your initial comment. That pass from Wade is ridiculous.

For anyone who didn't have the pleasure of watching one of the greatest passing teams of all time in the early 00's, watch this. It doesn't capture even close to a fraction of what they did, but you can get an idea. Webber and Divac are two of the best passing big men to ever lace them up, and everyone else on that team could pass, too. This one only really shows Webb's passing ability, and it still doesn't show most of his best passes.

Obviously people are familiar with Jason Williams, but people need to watch this video. The things he did were crazy. There hasn't been a PG with his creativity passing the ball since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Moneyman, Sea Devils is the best poster in the basketball forum, I think you should ease up a bit. It was just one comment - I thought the pass was exceptional too.

Nice to see you're still as biased as ever when it comes to the Kings though.
    Best passing team of all time PLUS 2002 pacific champs. Will we ever see a team as good again?:D:D;)

#15 wrote: »
    Moneyman, Sea Devils is the best poster in the basketball forum, I think you should ease up a bit. It was just one comment - I thought the pass was exceptional too.

Nice to see you're still as biased as ever when it comes to the Kings though.
    Best passing team of all time PLUS 2002 pacific champs. Will we ever see a team as good again?:D:D;)

What are you talking about? I have no issue with Sea Devil, it was just a bit of friendly discussion. No one's denying that it was a great pass.

Biased? Is there a part of my statement that you'd like to disagree with or are you just going to continue to post sweeping comments that are aimed at provoking rather than actual debate? The Kings of the early 2000s were one of the greatest passing teams of all-time. Do you dispute this? Fairly simple question and will show people how objective you really are. I never said greatest of all time, you might want to read things a bit closer next time. :)

Would have been 2002 champions if it weren't for you-know-what. Of course, acknowledgement of this is not prohibited in Laker land. I suppose the rest of the world must be biased outside of LA! ;)

In case you need a reminder, here's a video for you. I suspect you won't watch it as it will remind you of the championship that never should have been.

blah blah blah

Too easy man!!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

#15 wrote: »
    Too easy man!!

:pac::pac::pac:

That's what I thought. Typical Laker bandwagoner - "I'm going to put my fingers in my ears, block out all the noise, and post something inflammatory". It's like there's a Laker fan factory, producing deluded fan after deluded fan.

Lakers fans - the Liverpool fans of basketball. :pac:

Seriously though, I really liked that rivalry. Great contrast in styles between the two teams and enough bad feeling to make the games really interesting.

Moving away from the Lakers Kings thing, the Iverson rant popped up on my 'recommended' section of youtube earlier.

Never gets old!!

Rivalry might get going again with the young talent Kings have. Cousins already better than Bynum, who also happens to be a crock. Evans, Thornton, draft pick, cap space... Lakers on the decline. Shame the Kings won't be in Sacramento for much longer.

Here's another vid you'll enjoy if you liked your own video:

Never can forget this shot Kobe made against the Kings in '02.

Haha never mind.:P

Haha never mind.:P

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

25 years ago...

jordan63_boxscore_110420.jpg

padraig_f wrote: »

25 years ago...

Am I the only one who thinks this 'achievement' is completely compromised by the fact the Bulls LOST the game?? That was typical of Jordan of that era - all about himself. Look at Bird, 36pts and the W - greatness.

How can a team score 131 points and only have three players in double figures, one of whom got 10 off five shots?? A top-class shooter like John Paxon plays 34 minutes and takes three shots? Crazy...

Was a long time before Jordan 'got it' and the Bulls became genuine contenders. But once they did..... well, you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Am I the only one who thinks this 'achievement' is completely compromised by the fact the Bulls LOST the game??

Yeah you are! :)

Sam Smith (not a guy afraid to criticise Jordan) had an article about it yesterday which explains some of the context:
    Michael Jordan's 63 points in 1986 NBA Playoffs may have been greatest game ever played

In his second season, missed 64 regular season games through injury. When the team management didn't think he should play, goes to one of the all-time great teams, at the peak of their powers, and puts up a playoff score that no-one had ever done before (or since).

I'm all for team-basketball, but sometimes going yourself is the best chance the team has to win. Look at what happened when some of other players shot: Woolridge 9/27, Green 2/8. Paxson (1/3) scored 6ppg the year before with the Spurs, so he wasn't pulling up any trees. Bird's circumstances were very different, he was playing with 4 other hall-of-famers.

If Jordan cared more about himself or personal stats, he'd have agreed to what team management were telling him, rested up for the remainder of that season (it was thought they wanted to tank to get a better draft pick, but Jordan insisted on playing).

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah you are! :)

Sam Smith (not a guy afraid to criticise Jordan) had an article about it yesterday which explains some of the context:
    Michael Jordan's 63 points in 1986 NBA Playoffs may have been greatest game ever played

In his second season, missed 64 regular season games through injury. When the team management didn't think he should play, goes to one of the all-time great teams, at the peak of their powers, and puts up a playoff score that no-one had ever done before (or since).

I'm all for team-basketball, but sometimes going yourself is the best chance the team has to win. Look at what happened when some of other players shot: Woolridge 9/27, Green 2/8. Paxson (1/3) scored 6ppg the year before with the Spurs, so he wasn't pulling up any trees. Bird's circumstances were very different, he was playing with 4 other hall-of-famers.

If Jordan cared more about himself or personal stats, he'd have agreed to what team management were telling him, rested up for the remainder of that season (it was thought they wanted to tank to get a better draft pick, but Jordan insisted on playing).

How many shots did Jordan's team-mates end up taking at the end of the shot clock though when Jordan had tossed them the ball out of desperation?

Jordan, at that point in his career, just did not know how to get it done, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

• Advertisement

That video would be even more funnier if he was somehow traded to Cleveland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

That video would be even more funnier if he was somehow traded to Cleveland. :pac:
    Think he's too good of a player to be traded to them atm!

Think he's too good of a player to be traded to them atm!

It was a joke.;)

This happened a while ago, in fact it was towards the end of the Thunder- Nuggets game 1 but it's one of my favourite photos of the season.

Screenshot2011-04-18at110832AM.png

Kobe with no regard for human life :p

EDIT: Found this amazing end to an Aussie Basketball game thanks to Awful Announcing.!. Don't think it's quite as good as the Spanish one I posted but it's awesome nonetheless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It was a joke.;)

This happened a while ago, in fact it was towards the end of the Thunder- Nuggets game 1 but it's one of my favourite photos of the season.

Screenshot2011-04-18at110832AM.png

Nice pic. Shame Westbrooks blew Game 4 with his glory-hunting.

How many shots did Jordan's team-mates end up taking at the end of the shot clock though when Jordan had tossed them the ball out of desperation?

Jordan, at that point in his career, just did not know how to get it done, in my opinion.

Just finished reading "The Jordan Rules" at the weekend by Sam Smith. 63 points against that Celitics team was an incredible achievement, regardless of the loss. And it's not like it was a blowout, where a lot of big points performances happen, this was a close game. The Bulls were overachieving at the time as they were just a bad team really. They did well to make the Playoffs that year - give the guy a break!

Just finished reading "The Jordan Rules" at the weekend by Sam Smith. 63 points against that Celitics team was an incredible achievement, regardless of the loss. And it's not like it was a blowout, where a lot of big points performances happen, this was a close game. The Bulls were overachieving at the time as they were just a bad team really. They did well to make the Playoffs that year - give the guy a break!

I'm hardly slating him - just think the achievement is over-rated... The Jordan Rules is a fantastic book, what'd you think?

I'm hardly slating him - just think the achievement is over-rated... The Jordan Rules is a fantastic book, what'd you think?

It was interesting, but some of the quotes were clearly exaggerated or even made up. What was good about it was that it showed Jordan to be flawed as a person and not simply the smiling poster boy for a series of advertisers. He doesn't always come out the best in it...unlike say Horace Grant who clearly could do no wrong in Smith's eyes.

For me the most interesting part though was the insight into how players play for their numbers/stats coming up to contract renewal time - kinda funny. Goes completely against the team ethos and ethic, but considering they get paid on their numbers you can see how they would have to at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Basketball Fan

M.-Petruzis-Silas-Basketball-Team-EFBL-2011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Advertisement