Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Hotels

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

A few of my friends are visiting from England and their curious is there any cheap hotels around town?

I don't know much myself about hotels so hoping somebody here would.

Price range would be roughly 100, prefably less.

All help appreciated.

Regards,

Eoin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Gibson hotel, the maldron, the D4 hotels, the Mercer hotel would all be under e100 a night usually. Most hotels in Dublin are these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar is usually one of the cheapest I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Ibis is only €49 for double room for nite - its bit out but its rite on the luas line so they wud be in town in half hour

portobello hotel is cheap enough 2 r the travel lodge in rathmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

I have to stay in town a few nights every month.
    I find that most hotels can be bargained down to about €35, even when they are asking a price of up to €150.

Use booking.com to get your start price. Then ring the hotels and work down.
    It works. Just dont take no for an answer. And dont go for hostels. They are dumps.

And im talking about prices per room, not per person. Never, ever pay per person these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar is usually one of the cheapest I think.

Blooms Hotel is a Kip. The Temple Bar Hotel and The Arlington Hotel on O'Connell Bridge are both reasonable. They are both Kept Clean and offer good Customer Service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

I have to stay in town a few nights every month.
    I find that most hotels can be bargained down to about €35, even when they are asking a price of up to €150.

Use booking.com to get your start price. Then ring the hotels and work down.
    It works. Just dont take no for an answer. And dont go for hostels. They are dumps.

And im talking about prices per room, not per person. Never, ever pay per person these days.

Seriously? I have friends coming over and need to find them a place to stay too. Being quite the shy, reseved person, I wouldnt have a clue how to bargain down :o

So basically you ring them up

"Whats the price of the room?"
    -100euro

"Ehh...no thats too expensive. Can I have it for €35?"

Surely whoevers taking your call isnt the person who sets the rates and cant just give you a room when the set price is 100euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hotels quote rack rates, they always sell for less. The list price on a website would include a payment to the website by the hotel for each room sold - in some cases this can be 50% - so if you ring the hotel and bargain, they can be opento it.

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Seriously? I have friends coming over and need to find them a place to stay too. Being quite the shy, reseved person, I wouldnt have a clue how to bargain down :o

So basically you ring them up

"Whats the price of the room?"
    -100euro

"Ehh...no thats too expensive. Can I have it for €35?"

Surely whoevers taking your call isnt the person who sets the rates and cant just give you a room when the set price is 100euro?

Just tell them you are ringing around and if they want the business they have to compete with the prices you have already.
    Get your start list of prices from booking.com or a similar website and dont be afraid to say "I can get a double room in X hotel for Y"

The people taking the bookings on the phone are allowed to reduce the price. If they cant ask to talk to someone who can.

And you are in a much better position if you are booking multiple rooms. Let them know this.

At the end say "Is that your best price? Because I have a few more to ring and I wont be ringing you back if any of them quote below that price."
    And the most important thing - Do shop around. Dont just pretend you are going to shop around.

Heres an example.
    Decided to stay in town near work tonight instead of risking it on the ice again in the morning.
    Mount Herbert Hotel were looking for €59 for tonight.
    After a bit of haggling i've got a double room for €39 including breakfast. Could have had it for €30 without the breakfast.

Could have got other places cheaper but this is very close to work.

It works every time. Never pay list price.

Advertisement