Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend mortgage term?

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Will be losing TRS on mortgage next year which is worth about €90 per month.Interest rates will probably go up a few times next year also which will put me(and lots others) in a bit of a tight squeeze financially.So,am wondering if its a good idea to ask EBS to extend mortgage by 5 years or so.I know I will pay more interest over the life of the mortgage but I would be hoping to sell the house within next 10 years.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The short term saving would result in punitive interest repayments over the longer term.

Are there any areas you could cut back to save yourself the money?

I know I've been able to find several areas to cut back and saved myself at least 150 euro per month doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Pretty stretched at the moment and with budget,losing TRS and possible interest hikes next year,I'll be under more even pressure.Just thought the fact that I hope to sell the house in next few years and pay off mortgage, might mean that extending term might be a decent option for me.

Advertisement