Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman

Options
  • 03-12-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

Looking for some advice.

I bought an acer laptop (wont do that again) from harvey normans 2 years ago. Luckily i took out the extended warranty as after the first year the DC in jack became lose. They fixed this and it went again 4 months later. Its now gone for a third time. I went into them today and was told they would have to send it off for repair again and that it would take 2 to 3 weeks. IT has taken at least 2 weeks everytime.

At what stage can i ask for a replacement? The DC jack is a known issue with my model and im fed up waiting weeks for a replacement for it to happen again.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

an extended warranty is a useful as T*** on a Nun.
    under consumer law
    there was a fault, they repaired it,
    it happened again, they repaired it
    it happened again and they have it off for repair.
    you should have asked for a replacement or refund.
    it is a year from the original fault, so should be still opperable, but has been replaced within the last year.

seen as it has been sent off again for repair, you have entered into an agreement to get it repaired, which would mean you are happy with this.

next time this fault or any other fault occurs on the laptop, go straight for refund or replacement, do not except a repair, if they refuse, send a registered letter of complaint, see what happens, if nothing, then use the small claims court.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I had an acer for four years. Travelled the world with that laptop. Dropped it more times than I can remember, and it still works a dream.

Got a new Sony VAIO recently from work for free worth over a grand and it is still in the box.

I love my Acer aspire.

Just thought I would give a balanced vies of Acer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

The DC Jack is that the charger? yea mine broke after a year just bought a new one for cheap on ebay. Love my little Acer too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Mention the "lemon clause" to the manager of the store. Extended warranty have a term which they call the "lemon clause", which states that if the same part fails three times they will replace the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 robertj3003

Thanks everyone. I went back to the branch and stopped them sending it off for the 3rd repair and demanded a replacement. They refused saying they didnt have to replace it and they can fix it as many times as needed. After a lot of arguing they told me to come back on Monday and talk with the manager. I dropped a letter and a copy of an application to the small claims court in on Sunday.

At half 10 monday morning i got a call to say that I had credit for the original cost of the laptop. Needless to say took out the extended warrenty on the new laptop as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks everyone. I went back to the branch and stopped them sending it off for the 3rd repair and demanded a replacement. They refused saying they didnt have to replace it and they can fix it as many times as needed. After a lot of arguing they told me to come back on Monday and talk with the manager. I dropped a letter and a copy of an application to the small claims court in on Sunday.

At half 10 monday morning i got a call to say that I had credit for the original cost of the laptop. Needless to say took out the extended warrenty on the new laptop as well.

You probably would have had the same out come without the extended warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Acer laptops are great.

You buy a Sony, an Apple, a Toshiba, a Dell or a HP and you have problems with AC and USB connectors. Especially when the owner treats them like they are bulletproof (childproof) and abuse them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TheUsual wrote: »
    Acer laptops are great.

You buy a Sony, an Apple, a Toshiba, a Dell or a HP and you have problems with AC and USB connectors. Especially when the owner treats them like they are bulletproof (childproof) and abuse them.

Have a MacBook which I bought in the States back in 2007, I've dropped it numerous times, its been around the world but not a spot of bother with it :)

Really depends on luck and how you treat your laptop

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Have a MacBook which I bought in the States back in 2007, I've dropped it numerous times, its been around the world but not a spot of bother with it :)

Really depends on luck and how you treat your laptop

Yes it really really does.

My 07 Macbook pro has gone through 2 chargers, has had the graphics card fail, and right now needs a new battery.

Advertisement