Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting by the calendar month.. greedy landlord?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Can somebody put me straight on property rental laws in Ireland? If I see a house whose rent is based on a 'per calendar month' rate and I am not in a position to move in until the 7th or 8th day of the month, for example, can the landlord expect me to also pay rent for the first 7 days (or first week) of that particular month??

I have rented before and was alway believed that you started paying rent from the day you signed the lease and/or moved in... not necessarily the very first day of a calendar month? Surely it should all be the same whether he gets his months rent from a individual tenant on the 1st day OR the 15th day of month, as long as he gets it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Maybe the landlord means you pay rent 12 times a year and it doesn't have anything to do with the date you start paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭galwayguy85

yes, I would hope so. perhaps it was just a misunderstanding on my part when i was speaking to him over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The only way I could see it working is if he allowed you to stay on the last week of your months notice (the first week of say the 13th month) and not pay for that week/month. Otherwise you pay from the day you sign the lease. Its not your problem about what happens before you move in; if he wants rent from the 1st of the month then let him find a tenant to sign the lease on the 1st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

How many days in a month? Well it depends on which month. Therefore, to cover all months the term "per calendar month" covers any month.
    If you pay rent on a weekly basis you will pay 52 installments per year; but a calendar month is reckoned as being 4 weeks so in fact if you pay per calendar month you will pay 12 installments which equates to 48 weeks.

"per calendar month" does not mean starting at the 1st of the month.
    If your lease agreement is for 12 months and starts on 8th of the month it will finish on the 7th of the same month the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Normally you pay rent from the day the apartment is held for you. (The day its taken off the market). Or if the landlord agrees to hold it for nothing until you move in then you pay from the day you move in.

Sometimes to get the rent to fall on a particular date (if it suits you for your payday or anything else). They will let you pay the part of the rent due to that date and then the full months rent on that date for the rest of the tenancy.

Why not ask your landlord what he means instead of labeling him "greedy" before actually understanding the deal.

• Advertisement

well thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated.

i saw the house on wednesday or thursday and explained that I just simply couldn't move in this weekend but would be in a much better position to move in next week, once i've got everything together with myself. the house was in pretty good nick and is in a good part of town... happy enough to commute up to work for the time being, but life would be easier if i had a house within walking distance of work.

i offered to pay him about half the deposit, so that he would 'hold' the room for me until then. it was later when we were arranging to meet up so that I could put down a deposit that it was mentioned I would have to pay rent for a week or a part of week when I hadn't even moved in yet. i might also add that this is at the moment still an empty house... i doubt that in the week he would been holding the room, he would have filled it with other tenants and would have been forced to turn others away on account of me.

at the last poster, i don't want to label anybody as "greedy" without due warrant, but this landlord seems to demonstrating some traits resembling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Sounds a bit "iffy", the landlord - if he's causing problems to you before you move in, just think what it might be like when you have an agreement and can't get out of it. Personally, I'd look for somewhere else.

If it's sharing a house, try to have a chat with the other tenants before you commit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

By the sounds of it he is just looking to cover the cost of the time the place is empty. Ordinarily you pay rent on the date you signed the lease. If a landlord started on with what he was saying to you Id look elsewhere, unless like I said above he is happy for you to stay for a week and a half past your last month to cover the extra money paid.

well thanks for all the feedback folks, much appreciated.

i saw the house on wednesday or thursday and explained that I just simply couldn't move in this weekend but would be in a much better position to move in next week, once i've got everything together with myself. the house was in pretty good nick and is in a good part of town... happy enough to commute up to work for the time being, but life would be easier if i had a house within walking distance of work.

i offered to pay him about half the deposit, so that he would 'hold' the room for me until then. it was later when we were arranging to meet up so that I could put down a deposit that it was mentioned I would have to pay rent for a week or a part of week when I hadn't even moved in yet. i might also add that this is at the moment still an empty house... i doubt that in the week he would been holding the room, he would have filled it with other tenants and would have been forced to turn others away on account of me.

at the last poster, i don't want to label anybody as "greedy" without due warrant, but this landlord seems to demonstrating some traits resembling it.

Either you want it or you dont. If you do you pay for it from the date its taken off the market, unless the landlord agrees to cover the loss for the time you want him to leave it idle.

Maybe he wasnt sure about you either. You sound like you dont know what you want tbh.

@LevelSprite, I was only ever asking for confirmation of what normal renting practices are... I already had a inkling that you only pay rent from the day you move in.. and if needs be I will look elsewhere, my choice. The house in question is still totally vacant, and I not would be helping the landlord's predicament by moving in, if that does indeed come to pass. I never recall asking for you to make assumptions about what I personally do or don't want, 'tbh'.

Maybe, I will just make another subjective assumption that you are a landlord and/or a person who got badly burnt during the property crash? You've already made one or two about me, a total stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

odds_on wrote: »
    If you pay rent on a weekly basis you will pay 52 installments per year; but a calendar month is reckoned as being 4 weeks
    Eh, no. It means from the (X)th of month 1 to the (X-1)th day of month 2, which will vary from 28-31 days.

@LevelSprite, I was only ever asking for confirmation of what normal renting practices are... I already had a inkling that you only pay rent from the day you move in.. and if needs be I will look elsewhere, my choice. The house in question is still totally vacant, and I not would be helping the landlord's predicament by moving in, if that does indeed come to pass. I never recall asking for you to make assumptions about what I personally do or don't want, 'tbh'.

Maybe, I will just make another subjective assumption that you are a landlord and/or a person who got badly burnt during the property crash? You've already made one or two about me, a total stranger.

I rest my case.

Advertisement