Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night time little raver!

• 04-12-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

First child was and is a good sleeper.

This second one is a little monkey to say the least...

Had to convert cot into bed for her at 20 months as she was waking up in the night, and demanding to be let out, when she didn't get her way, was deliberately throwing herself over the side, dreampod/sleeping sack and all. So for safety reasons, has to be in the bed. Every night without fail her little silhouette appears at the site of our bed about 3 or 4am. We have taken her in in our weak moment at that time of the night (!) and she has proceeded to tell us to 'get up and play!' pulls my hair excruciatingly and kicks, headbutts, wriggles etc to try to get us up.I try putting her back in her bed several times, but she resists every time and wakes up her brother. We try ignoring her, and let her cry at the end of our bed. But this has been going on for weeks now.

She is now 22 months and has given up day time naps a long time ago and is still going strong at 8/9pm.

Arghhhhhhhh! Anybody want to come and do the night shift in my house? Or failing that, any good tips? (p.s I was a Nanny for 14 years and the sleeptraining does not work on determined little madam!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Ahhh... I feel so much for you. I am sorry have no tips at all but I want to say..I think we will be there soon too.. my little man is 8 months today. For last week he wakes up exactly at 11pm and wants me to take him to bed and sude him whether is it bottle or whatever else I am the one to do so.. He does not want his daddy to do any of that fun work!!
    He then sleeps but wakes up during night and wants to go to our bed.. sometimes he just falls back to sleep streight away but sometimes he wants to crawl and stand all over me and pulls my hair ect. I am a first time mam and not sure what to do really...
    He also does not go to bed easily.. he has a good routine in place but going to bed just does not work the same every day.. he gets his bath at 7 and is in bed with bottle before 8pm. Sometimes he falls asleep while having the bottle but if he doesn't then he screams and is trying to get out of his cot. The only thing which work now is to leave the room and let him cry for 10 mins then go back give him his dody and he is gone.. but up again at 11pm :-(
    How can I sleep train him?????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Elle13 wrote: »
    Ahhh... I feel so much for you. I am sorry have no tips at all but I want to say..I think we will be there soon too.. my little man is 8 months today. For last week he wakes up exactly at 11pm and wants me to take him to bed and sude him whether is it bottle or whatever else I am the one to do so.. He does not want his daddy to do any of that fun work!!
    He then sleeps but wakes up during night and wants to go to our bed.. sometimes he just falls back to sleep streight away but sometimes he wants to crawl and stand all over me and pulls my hair ect. I am a first time mam and not sure what to do really...
    He also does not go to bed easily.. he has a good routine in place but going to bed just does not work the same every day.. he gets his bath at 7 and is in bed with bottle before 8pm. Sometimes he falls asleep while having the bottle but if he doesn't then he screams and is trying to get out of his cot. The only thing which work now is to leave the room and let him cry for 10 mins then go back give him his dody and he is gone.. but up again at 11pm :-(
    How can I sleep train him?????:confused:

I had a similar problem with my little lady when she ws 8/9 months. I think there was alot going on in her little head (crawling/talking/standing/cruising/walking) that was preventing her from sleeping too well.

I don't think at 8 months that a baby really 'wants' to come in to mummy and daddies bed. I think its more a matter of convenience for parents to bring a baby into bed in the middle of the night. Done it many times myself but I try really hard not to do it anymore.

Its realy hard but the best thing to do while your little one is so young is to let them cry.

http://www.askbaby.com/baby-sleep-training.htm

Its beneficial to you and its beneficial for the baby to learn to put itself to sleep. I still find it really hard and we are having to do it again wth our 11 month old at the minute as she has been sick and we have been giving her extra attention while she has been unwell. Its so so tough but we know it works as we have done it before and it worked a treat.

As for your 22 month old Greystoner, I really don't know what to suggest! Sorry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jeez, OP, I feel for you!

I can only assume that she's not getting sugar in anything at all anymore?

What's her diet like?

I think there was alot going on in her little head (crawling/talking/standing/cruising/walking) that was preventing her from sleeping too well.

I don't think at 8 months that a baby really 'wants' to come in to mummy and daddies bed. I think its more a matter of convenience for parents to bring a baby into bed in the middle of the night. Done it many times myself but I try really hard not to do it anymore.

Its realy hard but the best thing to do while your little one is so young is to let them cry.

http://www.askbaby.com/baby-sleep-training.htm

Its beneficial to you and its beneficial for the baby to learn to put itself to sleep. I still find it really hard and we are having to do it again wth our 11 month old at the minute as she has been sick and we have been giving her extra attention while she has been unwell. Its so so tough but we know it works as we have done it before and it worked a treat.

Hi CCL,

thanks for that. My friend lend me Gina's Ford The Complete Sleep Guide.. i just red most of it tonight and so I am gonna try to sleep train him.. but.. there is always ''but'' Gina says not to do it when going on holidays ect. and we are heading away in a week.. then the festive season is here and so our little routine will be probably crasshed by grandparents and visitor ..
    Looks like I wont get chance to do it until January and thats gonna be probably harder yet as he will be 9 months then..
    I know with my little man its definately comfort he is waking up for not hunger...
    As you said he has loads going on in his little head at the moment... he is standing up and trying to do his first steps at the moment so mostly stands up in the cot when he wakes up and cry.. he can get back down now but only able to do that for last 2 days or so...
    I was really hopping that he will start settling himself better as he gets older but now I am not sure... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Dades wrote: »
    Jeez, OP, I feel for you!

I can only assume that she's not getting sugar in anything at all anymore?

What's her diet like?

She is a great healthy eater! Does have a bit of sugar in the diet, but only moderate amounts and no more than her (good sleeper) brother, and no way near close to bedtime.

I think she is just a bit of a 'wired to the moon' type of child, she has the glint of mischief in the eye, so I am sure to have years of fun with her! I only wish that I had a quarter of her energy.

Btw, last night, she came into our room and I picked her up and took her straight back to bed and stayed by her bed for 5 minutes and she then spent the rest of the night in her own bed! Maybe venting on boards has somehow cured her?!(Bit like when you feel ill and go to the doctor and suddenly feel alot better in the waiting room!)

I am certainly not into taking a child into bed with me by choice because I know of so many other parents with this situation, and it needs to be nipped in the bud!

Heres to many more nights of restful sleep for myself and everyone else with nighttime invaders!

• Advertisement

Greystoner wrote: »

she has the glint of mischief in the eye, so I am sure to have years of fun with her! I only wish that I had a quarter of her energy.

Ha ha... that's what I have at home the mischief in my little man's eyes is unreal and I wish for his energy too!!! :D

Advertisement