Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning opened electrical items

Options
  • 04-12-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me with a little problem I have. I just bought a music system with a cd and ipod player from Argos today. I thought I could hook up my iphone to it (as the picture showed it hooked up with what looked like an iphone but im guessing now was an iphone touch grr) but when I set it up it said the iphone is not compatible with the player so now I basicaly want to bring it back. I also took out insurance on it.

What I am wondering is can I return it now that the box has been opened? I put everything back in the way I found it but they will know i have opened it since some of the selotape has been ripped open. Can I just say I was unhappy with it and get a refund or willl they make a big deal about it being opened? Also since its within the 30 days policy will I get my insurance back also?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

if it works with an iPod touch it will work with an iPhone... that error you get on screen just click ok its just suggesting you put the phone in airplane mode because speakers crackle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i have gotten items in argos which have clearly been opened previously. Even one occasion I bought a glass lampshade which had obviously been unwrapped, dropped, broken and repackaged back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

apple devices say that when you plug iphone into a non-apple branded product, It should be fine but you may not be able to change songs with device remote, you will have to do it manually on your iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If Argos didn't tell you it'd work with an iPhone, then you made an assumption that was incorrect. Legally, they're under no obligation to take it back. Their 30 day returns policy tends to apply to unused items - so I expect you're out of luck there too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fudgez wrote: »
    if it works with an iPod touch it will work with an iPhone... that error you get on screen just click ok its just suggesting you put the phone in airplane mode because speakers crackle

No necessarily. Products normally clearly state if they are compatible with iPhone as well as iPod.

Argos are normally pretty good for returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Thanks for the replies got it sorted anyway and I can use my iphone with it now happy days :D My sister said the same warning comes up on her phone when she attaches it so than i knew it was ok.

To be fair to Argos in the catolouge it has beside the picture in a tiny little box 'made for ipod' and than on some of the other models it says 'works with iphone' but me being me didnt look at the fine print just looked at the picture that showed what looked like an iphone attached to the music player.

I had visions of me going in making up some story about it being faulty while feeling guilty as ever! phew :P

Advertisement