Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Irish person in history

• 04-12-2010 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

A nice christmasy thread to put youze all in the festive mood of goodwill to all men

remember that greatest irish person thing that was run by RTE and won by John Hume - well this is kind of the opposite of that

We'll have a few pages of nominations and then I'll set up a poll of the 5 most(or should that be least) popular

My vote goes to Bertie Ahern, he played the man of the people thing, thought he was the greatest thing since sliced pan by bringing peace to the North (Nope that was Adams, McGuinness, Hume and even Paisley) and then deregulating everything and letting every banker, property developer and wheeler-dealer get away with murder, he then bailed out when things were getting hot in the kitchen, oh and let's throw in the obligatory corruption scandal (no bank account Bertie-how forgetful of you), ah well you can always top up the non-existent bank account by appearing in shoddy cheap ads for tabloid newspapers that shame the office of Taoiseach all in the name of writing cliched populist guff about how Man U are going to win the league, and finally the the chick-lit writing daugher and boyband son-in-law add to the whole sickly feeling i get when I think of good aul Bertie, not content with destroying the economy within a country, his offspring are now destroying the only thing we have left, our culture

so he gets my vote, how about you?

Worst Irish person in history 563 votes

Eamon De Valera
    0% 0 votes
    Fr. Brendan Smyth
    7% 43 votes
    Bertie Ahern
    17% 98 votes
    Diarmuid Gavin
    28% 160 votes
    Bono
    0% 4 votes
    Dermot McMurragh
    7% 45 votes
    Niall Horan
    6% 37 votes
    Larry Murphy
    0% 5 votes
    John Charles McQuaid
    3% 20 votes
    Roy Keane
    3% 17 votes
    Brian Cowen
    1% 9 votes
    Stephen Ireland
    7% 41 votes
    Sean Fitzpatrick
    1% 10 votes
    Jackie Healy-Rae
    4% 26 votes
    Charlie Haughey
    1% 7 votes
    Ivana Bacic
    6% 35 votes
    Ruth Dudley-Edwards
    1% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Charley Haughey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Charles Haughey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Cunts people who voted for....
    bonerm wrote: »
    Charley Haughey.

or Clowen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Tom Cruise in Far And Away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its not much of a thread when the winner is named in post 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

we have a phrase if you dont like someone in history, dont worry there will be someone worse along soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Paul McShane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No way could Cowen be worse than Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Charles Haughey

or Dev :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dermot MacMurrough, greatest traitor in Irish history

He was ousted as King of Leinster and invited over Richard FitzGilbert de Clare, better known as Strongbow over for military help.
    Henry II later arrived and so begin the 800 years.
    They didn't invade provoked, they were invited over by a power hungry chieftan!

Honorable mention to Leonard McNally, backstabbing lawyer who was a paid informer for the British. Represented 1798 rebels and Robert Emmet and sold his defence brief to the the prosecution. So sending men to the gallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Dermot MacMurrough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

This fella Dermot MacMurrough started of a little bit of trouble, that is still going on.

Edit:
    Wow that was some coincidence 3 posts together, seems Dermot isn't the most popular person in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Pat Kenny for crimes against broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

bonerm wrote: »
    Charley Haughey.

Yep!

Even though it's spelled(slightly) wrong. It should read lying thieving scummer.

Bertie is son of the above.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Gay byrne thats all folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

I would have to say Dev. It should have been Dev that was killed rather than Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Burke and Hare. Two irish lads who headed off to Edinburgh where they killed 17 people and sold their bodies to a lecturer who wanted bodies to dissect for his students. More than a little twisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Lenihan the lying b@stard is working his way up (or down) the ranks too and getting arrogant in true FF style. He's certainly landed us with a nice bill for baling out his buddies in Anglo. Check out www.rate-your-solicitor.com/index.php?name=brian+lenihan&county=&section=search

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Louis Walsh

Gay byrne thats all folks!

Nah, Gaybo's alright....

Larry Dunne for introducing Heroin to Ireland would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Sean Fitzpatrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 shane1992

Charlie McCreevy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Yep!

Even though it's spelled(slightly) wrong. It should read lying thieving scummer.

Bertie is son of the above.:mad:

Yep, realised soon after that it should have been Charlie. Still at least I got the 'C' right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

donfers wrote: »
    so he gets my vote, how about you?

Bertie Ahern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mary Harney

Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Joyce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hitler :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Robert Ballagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Eamonn de Valera. The damage him and his party did to this country is extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

in all seriousness, I'd say that Bishop McQuaid chap, he was a tyrant and the amount of lives he destroyed and was responsible for destroying make recessions look like picnics

evil

bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Top cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Bertie Ahern

or

Kathrine Lynch

kev9100 wrote: »
    Eamonn de Valera. The damage him and his party did to this country is extraordinary.

Weeeelllll.... that's a bit untrue.

In the old days FF had some good people in in it. Lemass being a good example.

Umm....other than that,Yeah, I completly agree with you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The leprechaun in the Leprechaun movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

After Dermot MacMurrough has been named, I'm not sure how anyone can say Bertie with a straight face.

This thread is about the worst in history - not a list of people we don't like.

Bertie doesn't come close to making the cut.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Hitler :pac:

Not just there for the Nazi things in life...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

To be fair, the actions of someone 800 years ago, cannot be blamed entirely for the consequences which were perpetuated by thousands of people throughout the years. It's hardly as if he knew what was going to happen.

Bertie Ahern had responsibility for millions of people and was aware, or at least should have been aware of the immediate consequences of his actions. And as for the lack of regard shown for his position by appearing in that ad... insult to injury doesn't even cover it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Liam Keane.

Reading over the thread, he's not the worst in history. On the other hand, he's an unrepentant murderer who tried to pervert the course of justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Michael O'Dwyer wasn't a particularly nice chap.

Urdam Singh took his time, but got his revenge eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Éamon de Valera a traitorous bast@rd who always seemed to be away 'fund raising' when the real fighting had to be done. Then he hands the poisoned chalice of the treaty negotiations to a Military man - Collins. At least if he had joined Collins, it might have prevented the major schism that opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Terry wogan, goes to UK, becomes successful, then mocks Ireland all the time,forgetting were he came from. Graham Norton starting to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Adolf Hitler's little known cousin from Kerry, Seamus Hitler :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

donfers wrote: »
    Worst Irish person in history

That would be me... sorry guys :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Has Ryan Tubirdy not got a mention yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dermot MacMurrough, greatest traitor in Irish history

He was ousted as King of Leinster and invited over Richard FitzGilbert de Clare, better known as Strongbow over for military help.
    Henry II later arrived and so begin the 800 years.
    They didn't invade provoked, they were invited over by a power hungry chieftan!

In fairness its quite probable the Catholic Church had been pushing for that one for a while.

An English Pope pushing for King Henry II to take control of Ireland

That isn't religion, that's warmongering (if that's a word?) from a Pope. :mad:
    Yeah, some man of God there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll always found it quite telling that Laudebiliter was never mentioned in any history class I ever attended. Irish people don't seem to want to acknowledge it.

I'd never even heard of it!
    It was certainly never mentioned to me in school.

Reading with interest, thanks for posting it :)

Though I had heard of the better known fact that the Pope at the time supported William of Orange over Catholic King James. Which surprised me greatly at first I have to say

• Advertisement
Advertisement