Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Irish person in history

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Charlie McCreevy. Not that he was essentially bad man, just that he's a complete numpty who wasted money on stupid things (de-centralfeckupisation) and then flipped off to Europe for the cushy job.
    In fairness to McCreevy, he wanted to channel funds to decrease the National Debt, while his ministerial colleagues wanted the money for political baubles and his stance made him very unpopular in the FF parliamentary party, so off to Brussels he was shipped.

Head and shoulders for me would have to be Dev, a person who held Ireland back during the biggest decade of process in the history of civilisation. Even Haughey did some good things (IFSC, free travel for pensioners and, um...) but Dev I can't think of one redeeming feature about the man.

He was even happy to trade on his image as a 1916 hero during later elections when the truth was that he fecked off home and abandoned his men. Contrary to popular urban myth, he was never released because of American parentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Were bananas in pajamas Irish? If so I vote for them :mad:

Bananas in Pyjamas are Australian but they're based on a song by Carey Blyton, whose great-grandmother was born in Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Were bananas in pajamas Irish? If so I vote for them :mad:

I vote you! for making me remember that song!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

Roy Keane

we could have won the World Cup if he had not have acted like a baby in saipan and just got on with representing his county 'on the pitch'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Paul Williams, Although not the worst he definately deserves a mention, he glorifies crime giving small time criminals nicknames making them think they are bigshots which in-turn creates more violence, through his "Journalism" he is responsible for the rise in gang crime in Ireland. Check Here. for more, his covering of the shell to sea campaigners was ridiculous making out that the local people protesting were pin-ups for the IRA, talk about trying to create a criminal organisation out of ordinary people.

In all time history - Dermot MacMurrough for promoting and starting up of colonisation in Ireland
    In modernish history - Leonard MacNally a British Informant whos actions potentially denied Irish people freedom
    In modern history - Eamon De Valera for taking credit for other freedom fighters work
    In recent history - Charlie Haughey for corruption
    In more recent history - Bertie Ahern for more corruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You are paranoid.
    I've needed a jump start once in Longford and the first car I flagged down helped me

I crashed a car once in Tipperary and a farmer in his jeep and got a tow rope and pulled the car off the road

People are decent and will help strangers

I know that intellectually but alone on a dark road with 6" of snow on the ground my intellect tends to freeze up and paranoia comes to the fore. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I know that intellectually but alone on a dark road with 6" of snow on the ground my intellect tends to freeze up and paranoia comes to the fore. :p
    :D If you get stuck out in the country chances are you will get good help and probably a meal or a cup of tea.
    If you get stuck in the city you'll probably get mugged. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Tough question...

Charles Haughey - The man who brought corruption up and made looking after ones self the main focus of government.

Bertie Ahern - The man who continued the regime off corruption and let it filter through the party and throughout governments civil service departments (Brown envelopes for planning).

Brian Cowen - Turning a blind eye on the previous corruption and continuing forward trying to keep him and his cronies rich.

I would have to go with Bertie Ahern. Charlie started the golden handshake, Bertie perfected it, and Brian is just plain incompetent.

So... worst person in Irish history is Bertie Ahern.

Insert "Alleged" to all the above...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Ryan Turbity just cos I hate the jug eared cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Louis Walsh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Michael Collins for leading that bunch of terrorists.

God saaaave our gracious queeeeeen...

There's always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Kiki10

Worst Irish person in history? That really depends on where your from? if your strongbow then MacMurragh was a pure gent. If your Seany Fitzpatrick then then Cowan is a gent. If your a French shirt seller then haughy was a gent. If your the other woman or a well-to-do plumber Bertie was the man. If your a child raping priest Dev was a god-sent. If your suicidal then any of RTE presenters are just the tonic to help finish the job.

Maybe the question is dose Ireland produce more A**holes per head of pop than any other country? Germany only produced one Hitler? Britain only produced one Cromwell, Russia only produced one Stalin {bless him}

Tough question??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Kiki10 wrote: »
    Worst Irish person in history? That really depends on where your from? if your strongbow then MacMurragh was a pure gent. If your Seany Fitzpatrick then then Cowan is a gent. If your a French shirt seller then haughy was a gent. If your the other woman or a well-to-do plumber Bertie was the man. If your a child raping priest Dev was a god-sent. If your suicidal then any of RTE presenters are just the tonic to help finish the job.

Maybe the question is dose Ireland produce more A**holes per head of pop than any other country? Germany only produced one Hitler? Britain only produced one Cromwell, Russia only produced one Stalin {bless him}

Tough question??

Hitler was Austrian, not German.
    And I think America wins on producing more arseholes per capita.

John Charles McQuaid was easily the worst Irish person in history. Absolutely pure evil and set back the country decades, while institutionalising child abuse. I generally despise Bertie and Fianna Fail, they enjoy taking the piss of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i'll stick the poll up tomorrow folks, some good suggestions so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I will go with Gerry Adams. For obvious reasons in his taking part in the Provisional IRA.

The worst person in Irish history Keith? Please? If you want to make an IRA man the worst person in Irish History you may as well pick one that was active in the fighting.

If you are going along that line then don't Unionist leaders come in for some flack for their role in causing the situation in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I think Diarmuid McMurrough is getting a bad press. Ireland didn't exist as a country and he probably saw no difference inviting between Strongbow and some Irish tribal leader. My vote goes to Bertie.

One daoine, ceann Impireacht, ceannaire amháin :pac:

Muintir amhain, Tír amhain, Taoiseach amhain. Beir Bua.

(Ein Rich, Ein Volk, Ein Furher, Sieg Hail.);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xavi06

I am going for two.

Bertie and Bono.....muppets the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

newmug wrote: »
    I cant understand the hatred for Dev, he was basically the anti-McMurrough! He set the country on a path to normality after a famine, 2 wars, and indirectly a world war! The man was a genius! WTF like?!?!?!
    He managed to stall all possibility of social change for the first x decades of the new state. Ireland stands as one of the few nations of the world where when independence was achieved, the culture stagnated and even regressed rather than developing explosively and ultimately positively.
    Are you taking controversial opinions for the sake of being controversial? Because I do that all the time. Can't say I'm an apologist for colonialism though, its not my style.
    I'm not an apologist, but I am a realist. Colonialism was a historical inevitability and there were some benefits accruing to the people because of it. Considering the Irish had invaded and settled Scotland only a few centuries before the Normans arrived I do believe we stand in a glasshouse when it comes to talking about this kind of thing. The Irish were never the peaceful grouping of scholars and poets, who were unfairly bowed beneath a foreign aggressor that people try to paint us. If the Normans hadn't invaded, someone else would have, or given our history of the same, the Irish would have invaded elsewhere. We'd done it before no need to think we hadn't.
    And yeah, I was trolling. I was expecting a few more bites tbh.

• Advertisement

Muintir amhain, Tír amhain, Taoiseach amhain. Beir Bua.

(Ein Rich, Ein Volk, Ein Furher, Sieg Hail.);)
    Thanks, My Irish is still a bit basic and google translate didn't help much.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Joe Duffy for dumbing down liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

rednik wrote: »
    Joe Duffy for dumbing down liveline.
    What was it like originally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 uwala

Bertie Ahern. Working class piece of sh1t. He has destroyed us, permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

micheal collins filtered off funds raised by the ira for drinking and impressing the ladies then to top it off he does the one thing you cant let the enemy do divide and conquer he sold out the irish people of the six counties then to rewrite history some lunatic makes him out to be some sort of hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

apart from murderers, rapists and in general all round criminals, i would go for somebody like Michelle Smith-De Brun. She really let the country down with her "Unproven";) Allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

gerry adams - mass murderer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Éamon de Valera a traitorous bast@rd who always seemed to be away 'fund raising' when the real fighting had to be done. Then he hands the poisoned chalice of the treaty negotiations to a Military man - Collins. At least if he had joined Collins, it might have prevented the major schism that opened up.

His family still have the proceeds of that fund raising also, the irish press.. he's the one that started all the corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pauleta wrote: »
    apart from murderers, rapists and in general all round criminals, i would go for somebody like Michelle Smith-De Brun. She really let the country down with her "Unproven";) Allegations.

People who put down Michelle aren't fit to bite my ass IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In fairness to McCreevy, he wanted to channel funds to decrease the National Debt, while his ministerial colleagues wanted the money for political baubles and his stance made him very unpopular in the FF parliamentary party, so off to Brussels he was shipped.
    Do you mean Charlie "if I have it, I'll spend it" McCreevy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

BERTIE "BASS-I WON IT ON THE HORSES" AHERN. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

You

Mass murderer?? What a crock of ....! Youve lived up North I presume? When Adams was growing up? Away and graze with the sheep you bampot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Terry wogan, goes to UK, becomes successful, then mocks Ireland all the time,forgetting were he came from. Graham Norton starting to do the same.

What a load of rot....anyway, there's plenty about Ireland to slag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Mass murderer?? What a crock of ....! Youve lived up North I presume? When Adams was growing up? Away and graze with the sheep you bampot.

Nope....mass murderer is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'd say De Valera > but was he truly Irish? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Cowan or any other traitor
    Bertie or any other alleged common thief or liar
    Celia larkin or any other failed businessperson elected to a quango.(with no apparent reason other than the fact that she was bertie's girlfriend)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Skinback wrote: »

Definitely spot on , and a pompous two-faced mass murderer at that !

what difference does it matter where I live ?. So as hes from up there that means its o'k ??? :confused:

to be fair he should really qualify as a UK citizen but seening as he's moving to Louth shortly I thought we could include him.

fair enough, the ira are only suspected of 1800 murders (across Ireland, Uk & europe) of which approx 650 were innocent civilians - the majority on his watch. He allowed his own to die (Bobby Sands) etc for his own gain.

An evil man if ever there was one (have a look at his treatment of the McCartney family and the silence / brush off re the mutiple IRA murders in Dublin (Joseph Rafferty etc etc etc)

I have never tried eating grass so will pass on grazing on it - much to snowey right now anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

ahern,dev,neary,fitzer.....too many to choose from.

D'uh. What?

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    Definitely spot on , and a pompous two-faced mass murderer at that !
    Hello. What are you on?:pac:

what difference does it matter where I live ?. So as hes from up there that means its o'k ??? :confused:

to be fair he should really qualify as a UK citizen but seening as he's moving to Louth shortly I thought we could include him.

fair enough, the ira are only suspected of 1800 murders (across Ireland, Uk & europe) of which approx 650 were innocent civilians - the majority on his watch. He allowed his own to die (Bobby Sands) etc for his own gain.

An evil man if ever there was one (have a look at his treatment of the McCartney family and the silence / brush off re the mutiple IRA murders in Dublin (Joseph Rafferty etc etc etc)

I have never tried eating grass so will pass on grazing on it - much to snowey right now anyways
    A your following the herd like a sheep.Adams lived in a time when you had to protect your community in the north. Im in no way an ira man and i think a lot of what theyve done over the years is absolutely disgraceful.I agrree with you re McCartney family and the rest. Dont think Adams had anything to do with it. Look-If Ian Paisley shook his hand..........Anyway Bertie was the worst ever Irishman.;)

Thanks, My Irish is still a bit basic and google translate didn't help much.. :o

No worries, Is bhfearr Gaeilge Briste ná Béarla Cliste:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Adams lived in a time when you had to protect your community in the north.
    Ah, but he didn’t. By his own admission he never joined the IRA. How is he any different to the career politicians down here who demand that the rank and file make sacrifices that they themselves are not prepared to make? :pac:

I assume you have evidence for your claims, Im sure the Gardaí or the PSNI would love to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I agree. Possibly the worst Irish person in Irish history.

A your following the herd like a sheep.Adams lived in a time when you had to protect your community in the north. Im in no way an ira man and i think a lot of what theyve done over the years is absolutely disgraceful.I agrree with you re McCartney family and the rest. Dont think Adams had anything to do with it. Look-If Ian Paisley shook his hand..........Anyway Bertie was the worst ever Irishman.;)

following what herd ?? sorry haven't read any previous posts - its my opinion. I was like many when younger, thought the RA were great, fu*k the brits got me tats, went to parkhead etc etc etc

Adams has been over the IRA for the last 30 years, the Catholic community has not been under attack for a hell of a long time.

Some will say the struggle has been just.

I have no issue with people defending themselves, however he has been the main man when they have butchered countless innocent victims and when the IRA moved from defenders of their community into gangsterism and drug dealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Tony Cascarino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

gothicus wrote: »
    Roy Keane

we could have won the World Cup if he had not have acted like a baby in saipan and just got on with representing his county 'on the pitch'

arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

gothicus wrote: »
    Roy Keane

I hate Roy Keane too but come on. Win the World Cup? Please:rolleyes:

Advertisement