Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Irish person in history

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Same reason you didn't...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

am surprised none of the dundons etc were an option
    Probably cause most people outside Limrick never heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I hope Bertie sees the results.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I see Fianna Fail are polling a combined total of 48.35% in a poll including criminals ,child molesters and rapist . Says it all really. I hope people remember when the real poll comes arround

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

Dermot MacMurroughBrian Cowen, greatest traitor in Irish history

He was soon to be ousted as King of Leinster Taoiseach and invited over Richard FitzGilbert de Clare Ajai Chopra, better known as Strongbow Chopper, over for militaryfinancial help.
    They didn't invade provoked, they were invited over by a power hungry chieftan! Taoiseach!!

History repeating itself!!!

Brian Cowen = worst in Irish History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Dermot MacMurrough, greatest traitor in Irish history

He was ousted as King of Leinster and invited over Richard FitzGilbert de Clare, better known as Strongbow over for military help.
    Henry II later arrived and so begin the 800 years.
    They didn't invade provoked, they were invited over by a power hungry chieftan!

Honorable mention to Leonard McNally, backstabbing lawyer who was a paid informer for the British. Represented 1798 rebels and Robert Emmet and sold his defence brief to the the prosecution. So sending men to the gallows

**** that! I'm descended from that crowd!:mad: (the norman/fleming lads, not macmurrough!)

I'm going to say ahern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

yupyup7up wrote: »
    **** that! I'm descended from that crowd!:mad: (the norman/fleming lads, not macmurrough!)

I'm going to say ahern

What, your name is Fitz something-or-other?

Dont worry, it wasnt you who did anything wrong. Sure we're all related anyway. Still though, McMurrough gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Gerry Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

People who voted for Roy Keane are laughable tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Think Brian Cowen might have a few more votes were this conducted today, not that I disagree on Bertie being the worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I'm glad to see Bertie to have the most votes. I've heard way too many people go on about Brian Cowen and their negative opinions of him.

I feel that these people actually think Bertie was a good Taoiseach because they were rolling in the cash.

Well, that was an unnatural few years we had.

Thanks Bertie for responsible spending that we're paying back now with money that doesn't exist. *sarcastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Difficult to decide on this, because for once we seem to be awash with a genuine abundance of talent for this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

I voted bertie as the worst ahead of haughey and dev.
    bertie rubbed salt into our wounds when he disgraced the office of Taoisigh by getting into the cupboard for murdoch.
    why were mc creevey and fingers not on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

what about pat kenny or ryan tubridy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Mr Brennan - Todays bread today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

flag123 wrote: »
    I'm glad to see Bertie to have the most votes. I've heard way too many people go on about Brian Cowen and their negative opinions of him.

I feel that these people actually think Bertie was a good Taoiseach because they were rolling in the cash.

Well, that was an unnatural few years we had.

Thanks Bertie for responsible spending that we're paying back now with money that doesn't exist. *sarcastic

In fairness they are both c*nts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Jedward.

I cannot, cannot, cannot understand the hatred for Dev on this thread. Would someone please explain it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

why in the name of god is Diarmuid Gavin in that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

newmug wrote: »
    I cannot, cannot, cannot understand the hatred for Dev on this thread. Would someone please explain it to me?

Stupid I know, maybe because OP has an Anti-FF opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

newmug wrote: »

Well I'll explain why I hate DeVelera

(1)Walked out of the Daíl after the pro-treat side won the majority vote in the 1922 election. Rather then accept defeat and side with Collins, he made things harder by walking out. Not to mention he argaubly was one of the proponents in starting the civil war. Firstly it was supposed to be a democratic election. Yet he wouldn't except the democratric ways.

(2)After refusing to take the oath of alligance oringinally, back when Collins and Co. chose to take it. He eventually would end up taking the oath to get back in power. So he made a big fuss over taking the oath previously, which was one of the big problems back when the treaty was discussed, he finally comes to the conclusion albeit years later, that taking the oath was the only way to achieve his goals. Couldn't have saved everyone the hassle before all the trouble started no?

(3)Started an economic war with Britain. Which was a very stupid and stubborn thing to do, considering that Britains was/is our largest trading partner and Ireland wasn't exactly ready for an economic war either.

(4) Signed the book of condolences for Hitler. I know Ireland was neutral and all, but Hitler was still an evil man who committed genocide. But he still signed it, and what's worse is as Taoiseach of Ireland, he was respresnting Ireland by doing it, so he wasn't doing us any favors by making it out that we're sympathetic to their Hitler, not to mention housing Nazis after the way as well.

(5)Gave the Catholic church a lot of influence in Ireland, too much power tbh. So much so that it effected Irish laws, so while most contries were moving ahead, Ireland was still a catholic dominated country living in the stone age. Corporal punishment in schools, ban on contraception etc.

(6)In his biography DeVelera stated that it was Cathal Brugha and Harry Boland who broke DeValera out of prison back in 1919, but it was actually Collins and Boland who did that, Brugha had no part in it. Although this is a minor thing tbh, but it's something that got to me anyway. He couldn't even acknowledge that it was Collins.

(7)Went off to America during the War for Independance. A lot of people were strongly opposed to him going over, they even tried to get Cathal Brugha to talk him out of it but he still went. But sure maybe it was for the best since he would have interfered with alot of Collin's actitivities. Proberly and just caused a lot of hassle for the IRA

(8)Despite all of this, as a Taoiseach he was proberly the worst of all the Taoiseachs. At the best DeValera's strength was that he was a charismatic man. But as an administrator and leader, he was just plain terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It's a choice between Larry Murphy and Ivana Bacic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

(1)Walked out of the Daíl after the pro-treat side won the majority vote in the 1922 election. Rather then accept defeat and side with Collins, he made things harder by walking out. Not to mention he argaubly was one of the proponents in starting the civil war. Firstly it was supposed to be a democratic election. Yet he wouldn't except the democratric ways.

(2)After refusing to take the oath of alligance oringinally, back when Collins and Co. chose to take it. He eventually would end up taking the oath to get back in power. So he made a big fuss over taking the oath previously, which was one of the big problems back when the treaty was discussed, he finally comes to the conclusion albeit years later, that taking the oath was the only way to achieve his goals. Couldn't have saved everyone the hassle before all the trouble started no?

(3)Started an economic war with Britain. Which was a very stupid and stubborn thing to do, considering that Britains was/is our largest trading partner and Ireland wasn't exactly ready for an economic war either.

(4) Signed the book of condolences for Hitler. I know Ireland was neutral and all, but Hitler was still an evil man who committed genocide. But he still signed it, and what's worse is as Taoiseach of Ireland, he was respresnting Ireland by doing it, so he wasn't doing us any favors by making it out that we're sympathetic to their Hitler, not to mention housing Nazis after the way as well.

(5)Gave the Catholic church a lot of influence in Ireland, too much power tbh. So much so that it effected Irish laws, so while most contries were moving ahead, Ireland was still a catholic dominated country living in the stone age. Corporal punishment in schools, ban on contraception etc.

(6)In his biography DeVelera stated that it was Cathal Brugha and Harry Boland who broke DeValera out of prison back in 1919, but it was actually Collins and Boland who did that, Brugha had no part in it. Although this is a minor thing tbh, but it's something that got to me anyway. He couldn't even acknowledge that it was Collins.

(7)Went off to America during the War for Independance. A lot of people were strongly opposed to him going over, they even tried to get Cathal Brugha to talk him out of it but he still went. But sure maybe it was for the best since he would have interfered with alot of Collin's actitivities. Proberly and just caused a lot of hassle for the IRA

(8)Despite all of this, as a Taoiseach he was proberly the worst of all the Taoiseachs. At the best DeValera's strength was that he was a charismatic man. But as an administrator and leader, he was just plain terrible

Agreed and

9) Refused to get involved in negotiations for the Treaty because he knew they hadn't a chance of getting a 32 county Republic with Carson, Craig and the Unionists up North arming themselves to resist it. Set Collins up as the fall guy by sending him off to London. The Yank then had the temerity to excorciate Collins and his team when they returned from London.

10) Tricked the Irish and American public into investing in the Irish Press, which he rigged to make his family rich. You want to know where FF gombeenism, and strokism begins? Look no further than George DeValero

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

McQuaid.

People here are discussing economics and sovereignty etc. but what that man did to the people and children of this country was horrific

Shur how could Dev be the worst Irish person in history, he'd have been killed in 1916 if he was Irish :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I haven't read all 26 pages of this thread but my "Worst Irish person in history" award goes to Michael Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

donfers wrote: »
    Worst Irish person in history

Seriously wht the f*ck is wrong with you. You have Bono on the list, somebody who along with the other 3 members of U2 have been responsible for sh1tloads of money coming into the Irish economy, and something which was extremely important in the 80's when the country was in sh1ts!

You have him on the list yet no sign of Michelle Smith, who brought shame to the entire nation!!!

04072511 wrote: »
    Seriously wht the f*ck is wrong with you. You have Bono on the list, somebody who along with the other 3 members of U2 have been responsible for sh1tloads of money coming into the Irish economy, and something which was extremely important in the 80's when the country was in sh1ts!

You have him on the list yet no sign of Michelle Smith, who brought shame to the entire nation!!!

Feck off Michelle Smith is a legend she was set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

what has Ivana Bacick done??

Who the fcuk is Ivana Ba- whatever:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I haven't read all 26 pages of this thread but my "Worst Irish person in history" award goes to Michael Collins.

Any particular reason, or just looking for a reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Who the fcuk is Ivana Ba- whatever:confused:

A labour senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Many of the people on the poll did nothing good for Ireland. If yoiu look at Ivana Bacik - she has achieved nothing for the country, but to be fair, afaik she hasnt done any damage either.

McMorrogh should not be blamed for what he did 800+ years ago, completely different time & situation, when the Island of Ireland (it was not a nation at the time, as we would understand it) was in a state of intermittent internecine warfare.

Dev was no saint, but tbf to him, in spite of some ill-judged actions (Hitler condolences?? Catholic chiurch role in constitution?? Tariff war with england??) was not a fundamentally evil character & I think there are few who could have done better.

McQuaid Jumps off the page as being profoundly evil because he used his privileged position at all times to maintain & promote the influence of conservative papism in this country, to the complete exclusion of any considerations of nationhood, social welfare, or Christian morality. (MOther & child scheme, great example)

So, he gets my vote. Can I vote twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Little Bunny Foo Foo,
    Hopping through the forest
    Scooping up the field mice
    And boppin' 'em on the head

I've no idea how Berite got more votes than CJ.
    CJ lead the way for his successors.

Charlie Haughey was a corrupt bastard.
    He was living a life of luxury at the expense of the Irish people at a time when most of us struggled to feed our families.
    He oversaw mass emigration, and then had the gall to tell us that we were spending too much money.

He had his own ****ing island FFS.

By the way, FG are no better. Don't be fooled. They're just FF with a different name.

Any particular reason, or just looking for a reaction?

No not looking for a reaction but he was a traitor imo

Gerard.C wrote: »
    why in the name of god is Diarmuid Gavin in that list?

and why have 4 people voted for him?!? what did diarmuid gavin ever do? the poor divil isnt as bad as anyone on that list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No not looking for a reaction but he was a traitor imo

Once again a poster who clearly does not understand irish history or how things actually happened... to call him a traitor shows you havent got the faintest clue what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2 User number 52

Must have too you about four seconds
    To get this list up off Paul Williams site did it yea clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Degsy? Apparently..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Liz Bonnin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Whoever resurrected this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Actually no

What????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Must have taken you about four seconds to get this list up, off Paul Williams site. Did it you clown?
    courtesy of "Northsidetranslate". A Pottlermedia service.:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Whoever resurrected this thread.

Dunno but they should be given a good funt up the hole for resurrecting a thread like this with no 'Jedward' option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

eth0 wrote: »
    Dunno but they should be given a good funt up the hole for resurrecting a thread like this with no 'Jedward' option

Ah come off it. They're a children's act and make no secret of it.

Do you get bothered by the teletubbies or Dora the explorer? Please.

Bertie or Haughy for me. Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

How come Dana isn't present ........... she generally makes a complete list of herself every time she opens her cakehole. Still my vote goes to that lady that stripped for Playboy ........... then justified her exhibitionism by saying that her parents talked her into doing it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

FFS I'm no Bertie Aherne fan but to even suggest he's worse than a guy who is most likely a serial killer is ****ing nonsense. And the list is nonsense anyway. Johnny Adare, Michael Stone, Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley all deserve a spot there for some of the stuff they've done. And Ivana Bacic? Stop FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Roisin shorthall

• Advertisement
Advertisement