Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Irish person in history

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Bernie Slaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'd say John Wayne in "The quiet Man". Brutal accent, stagey acting and totally unconvincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Whoever came up with 'Leave It To Mrs O'Brien', 'The Lyrics Board' and 'Ryantown'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pottler wrote: »
    courtesy of "Northsidetranslate". A Pottlermedia service.:-)

That might explain the presence of Ivana Bacik (I presume this is who the OP meant).
    halpin17 wrote: »
    Roisin shorthall

James Reilly fan, I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ people blaming bertie for doing exactly what we wanted at the time (which he did to keep his job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Some fairly bizarre nominations there, but no mention of William Joyce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. What about Dermot MacMurrough, Boru, even Eoin Duffy?

How could someone like Ivana Bacik be in a poll for 'worst Irish person in history'?

MacMurrough did what most any other Irish king would have done at the time to rid himself of a 'problem'.

They were a ruthless bunch and Ireland was not a unified nation, just kings kicking the living sh*t out of each other.

Or more accurately, kings getting their armies to kick etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Who are the 4 people who voted for Diarmuid Gavin? Did he **** in yer gardens or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

lol @ people blaming bertie for doing exactly what we wanted at the time (which he did to keep his job)

Exactly he was a god like figure to the same people critizising him now. Ye were all warned and ye didn't want to know.

Eamonn DeValera would be amongst the worst Irish person in history to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Liz Bonnin
    Forgot all about her, Sexy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Much as I LOATHE Dana, (and i truly truly do) she's reasonably harmless IMHO. Like, she's a laughing stock to 99% of the Irish public.

Bertie would get my vote; his greed and arrogance (and complete denial of accepting any of his wrongdoing) just ignite a fire inside me every time I see his squashed, smug face. I tend to yell at the screen whenever he pops up on Reeling In The Years.

And before anyone asks, I never voted for him once in my life (or anyone else in FF).

I also think Haughey is one of the worst characters to EVER have come from this counrty; told the country to tighten their belts while he was spending the public finances on silk shirts in Paris. Wanker.

If Dana had power (or brains) she'd be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Brendan O Carroll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

One of the Earls of Leinster was the richest man in the world and made his money buy selling slaves.

Can't for the life of me remmeber which one for sure but think it was James Fitzgearld, the one who built Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I'm just surprised Daniel O'Donnell hasn't had a mentioned yet:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Pottler wrote: »
    I'd say John Wayne in "The quiet Man". Brutal accent, stagey acting and totally unconvincing.
    Eh... whats wrong with his accent?

One of my fave films?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddy8612

that was christy dunne mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jack Gleeson.

Cúnt killed Ned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Camrat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The boards user below me

||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

What? It's me,oh, is there a trophy?

I'd like to thank..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Eamon Dunphy by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Diarmuid Gavin's 4 votes?

Who voted for the most uncontroversial man in Irish gardening?

He's a gardener for Christ's sake... he prunes rose bushes for a living

Show yourselves !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

Miley for what he did to Biddy! That Fidelma was easy anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Father Dick Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Diarmuid Gavin's 4 votes?

Read this saccharine tripe by him and you can maybe forgive those voters for choosing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Dustin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

There's about 50 people in every town you could stick on that list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

tony felloni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what did poor Bertie do ? only put a few bob on a horses - in fairness he helped deliver peace on the island - his economic policy , along with Cowen was a ****en disaster , criminal - but , today Fianna Fail top the polls one again - shame on us, a corrupt party since CJ Haughey reign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Gay Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Gay Byrne

Hello *little laugh* (in satanic Gay Byrne voice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dotsey wrote: »
    Michael Collins

Are you serious?

Dotsey wrote:
    Michael Collins
    Are you serious?
    Meh, it's not like he intended to cause a civil war. But Collins appears to have behaved irresponsibly, and possibly allowed his team of plenipotentiaries to be made subject to British duress during the negotiation stage.

A Civil War was one repercussion of his unfortunate actions. He was out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 User number 52

Paddy8612 wrote: »
    that was christy dunne mate

What was christy dunne?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

can we add peig sayers to the list?

the feckin moany auld biddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Meh, it's not like he intended to cause a civil war. But Collins appears to have behaved irresponsibly, and possibly allowed his team of plenipotentiaries to be made subject to British duress during the negotiation stage.

A Civil War was one repercussion of his unfortunate actions. He was out of his depth.

And he knew this only too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Father Paul stone.

• Advertisement

Ahh lads, how is Bertie worse than Larry Murphy?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is Roy keane and Bono on the list? Others too I presume that don't belong there.

Most are from very recent days.

What about Dermot McMurragh?

Ahh lads, how is Bertie worse than Larry Murphy?!

What Larry Murphy did was obviously worse but we aren't paying LM a pension of 150 k a year to sit on his hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What Larry Murphy did was obviously worse but we aren't paying LM a pension of 150 k a year to sit on his hole.

I would much prefer that than to have a person like Larry Murphy even exist.

can we add peig sayers to the list?

the feckin moany auld biddy

Agree 100%, nobody wanted to know about her miserable life and certainly didn't want to be forced to have to learn about it.

I ofton wonder did the Irish teachers secretly agree that it was depressing muck with no relevence to the modern age.

SV wrote: »
    I would much prefer that than to have a person like Larry Murphy even exist.

Well unfortunately he does, and he got away with it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Well unfortunately he does, and he got away with it as well.

Yeah, it really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Just reinforcing the point that Larry Murphy is clearly a worse person than Bertie Ahern.
    but the boards population generally seems to care more about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well if DeValera had went over himself and they had a stronger team representing them, maybe things would be a lot better. Instead he decided to stay back in Ireland while Collins went over(reluctantly) to what was inevitably going to end in tears. But I don't think Collins should be marred, when it was all f*cked up to begin with. It was just very poorly done, he should never have went over with like that.

As for the civil war. I think you'll find, that other people played a role in that, not just Collins. DeValera was out of line, criticizing Collins, then walking out of the Dail when he didn't get his way and of course fanning the flames of hatred and pointing the finger at Collins, who was instrumental in getting us to the negotiations in the first place because of his role in the War for Independance.

BTW, i'm not just pointing the finger at DeValera i'm using him as an example. There are others I could talk about too.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Well if DeValera had went over himself and they had a stronger team representing them, maybe things would be a lot better...what was inevitably going to end in tears
    Of course, I'm not necessarily condoning deValera's decision to stay in Ireland.

But no, I don't think it's accurate to say there was an inevitability that the negotiations would end in tears, much less to say it would end in civil war.

In the heat of the moment, in 1923, Collins was forgiven. I wouldn't exactly hold that against anyone who supported him at that time. Today, with the benefit of looking at the negotiations rationally, it's clear that Collins behaved either improperly or irresponsibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Of course, I'm not necessarily condoning deValera's decision to stay in Ireland.

But no, I don't think it's accurate to say there was an inevitability that the negotiations would end in tears, much less to say it would end in civil war.

In the heat of the moment, in 1923, Collins was forgiven. I wouldn't exactly hold that against anyone who supported him at that time. Today, with the benefit of looking at the negotiations rationally, it's clear that Collins behaved either improperly or irresponsibly.

How did he behave in such a manner? It was clear before the delegation went over that compromises would have to made, I always felt that Dev didn't go because he knew this and wanted to pass the buck to Collins.

Collins himself from accounts of Birkenhead and Churchill acquitted himself quite well over there, they were impressed by him.

Advertisement