Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indian Giver

• 04-12-2010 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

If you give someone something (inexpensive/non sentimental)..can you ask for it back..say a year later?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No!
    You wanna ask someone to give you back a christmas present you got them or something??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was is a blow job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

If the gift was inexpensive - you could just buy it for yourself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Nozebleed wrote: »
    If you give someone something (inexpensive/non sentimental)..can you ask for it back..say a year later?

Herpes doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I like Seinfeld too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

no i gave a mate a €5 cable which i wasn't using a while back...so when i handed to him i remember saying "im not using it sure you can hold onto it". I never said you can keep it or its yours or whatever. so can i ask for it back? this blokes a tight ****er..doesn't spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

this blokes a tight ****er..doesn't spend money.

Says the guy who's chasing someone for a €5 cable a year later? :p

no i gave a mate a €5 cable which i wasn't using a while back...so when i handed to him i remember saying "im not using it sure you can hold onto it". I never said you can keep it or its yours or whatever. so can i ask for it back? this blokes a tight ****er..doesn't spend money.

If I was that friend I would assume you were giving it to me for keeps so I'd say the answer to your question is no, unless you want to look like a tight ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

If I was that friend I would assume you were giving it to me for keeps so I'd say the answer to your question is no, unless you want to look like a tight ****er.

disagree, a functional item loaned out is not really a gift, in the same sense as a birthday, or christmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Indian givers are tight bastárds

• Advertisement

disagree, a functional item loaned out is not really a gift, in the same sense as a birthday, or christmas present.

If its made clear that its a loan then fair enough, but "you hold onto it" isn't exactly clear that the OP intended to come looking for it in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Can I have my cock back please?

i know it looks and sounds bad...but this guy knows im not giving him the cable to keep. he knows im not using it,and i know he could use it in the mean time. but now i want the thing back..after all i paid for the thing. and i didnt ask him if he wanted it to keep. I text the prick and he replied by saying. "Would ye stop outta that,ye gave it to me saying "you had no need for it"..ye can go sing for it,ye gave it to me over a year ago case closed"

seriously this could end with a homicide. im fcukin goin mad here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

You told him you didn't need it and to hold onto it!!

You should've said you can borrow it, or hold onto it till i need it or something, but you gave it to him!
    Get over it.

no..im not having it. im getting the cable back..it an total insult on his behalf not to offer the cable back when he knows i could use it. the fact i had to ask for it back is bad enough but then for the muppet to say "you can go sing for it and case closed" your not getting it. he may aswell have just text fcuk off. the cheeky bastard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah after a text like that vengeance is in order.

Strangle his sister with another cable and leave a note, "this one you can keep"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Very surprised the OP parted with the cable in the 1st place without a notarised binding agreement. It was worth in excess of €4 after all.

His fault I'm afraid, no sympathy at all. The law is there to protect you if you use it correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

no..im not having it. im getting the cable back..it an total insult on his behalf not to offer the cable back when he knows i could use it. the fact i had to ask for it back is bad enough but then for the muppet to say "you can go sing for it and case closed" your not getting it. he may aswell have just text fcuk off. the cheeky bastard/

How about next time you're out for pints, just don't buy him anything when it's your round and call it quits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

why don't you just ask him for a lend and don't give it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you sound like a shit friend. and a bit cheap. what kind of cable is it? if its anything less than a hdmi cable then you have no business asking for it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Terry wrote: »
    I like Seinfeld too.

Really? I have my reserva .... er suspicions that it might be overrated.

So anyway Terry, wanna go to the big game with me this w/e? I got tickets from a scal ...... uh, one of those guys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Having generously given him a 5 euro cable, you should expect and demand that he return the favour by signing over to you the deeds to a plot of land the size of lower Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

You sound stingy and petty and your friend seems slightly spoiled or intentionally ignorant. That said OP you're probably right to be pissed off. Vendetta time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

in this thread OP being a tight ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

It's bloody 5 Euro worth and you think it's worth having it back more than it's worth still having a friendship with your mate. You weren't clear in the first place so just go out and buy a new cable. You've pretty much lost your friendship anyway and you're only gonna make the situtation worse by being insistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

no i gave a mate a €5 cable which i wasn't using a while back...so when i handed to him i remember saying "im not using it sure you can hold onto it".
    I never said you can keep it or its yours or whatever. so can i ask for it back? this blokes a tight ****er..doesn't spend money.

To me 'you can hold on to it' DOES mean you can keep it!! You can't just turn around a year later and get all huffy and change your mind and say you want it back!!!!

If he's such a tight fcuker don't give him anything else in future and lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

To me 'you can hold on to it' DOES mean you can keep it!! You can't just turn around a year later and get all huffy and change your mind and say you want it back!!!!

If he's such a tight fcuker don't give him anything else in future and lesson learned.

Yeah +1 here, I'd think the exact same. Chances are though if you asked for it back I would give it to you, but I'd probably think you were tight yourself, or a little bit weird if you did.

Just buy a new one and don't give him anything else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

FatherLen wrote: »
    you sound like a shit friend. and a bit cheap. what kind of cable is it?

stewart cable perhaps ? no wonder he wont give it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Was is a blow job?

They are expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Agree with Cheap Thrills here, in guy speak "you can hold onto it" means keep it. I agree with you when you say his "case closed" text was cheeky. Absolutely! It couldn't have been more cheeky if he was using some sort of electrified cheekiness induction machine plugged in with your cable.

However goin after it at this late stage (statute of limitation for give backsies is 72 hours) will only make you look like the cnut.

Revenge is the only option, be it a deliberate snub in a round as suggested on buy another cable to give to mate but reverse the polarity on it so anything it's plugged into gets fried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you lent it they should have given it back.

Advertisement