Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Login / File storage

Options
  • 04-12-2010 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi recently made a website and am looking to add a login type system to where myself a friends can log in and upload files etc as to store them as backup. Will only be about 5 users, file types will be only about 10mb each in size.

I build the site using Dreamweaver and a css template, my hosting company has mySQL servers if that makes a diffrence?, i would appeciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction as web development is an area i have never touched on before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is the site a static HTML site, or are you already using PHP to access the database ?

If so, do a Google search for PHP upload, but be warned that you'll need to get your head around not only the coding but also some security issues (the login and the filesystem file permissions) to ensure that you minimise your exposure to someone uploading something dodgy or using the upload to hack the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You could all set up Dropbox (/edit referral link) accounts.

You sign up, install the software and it creates a new folder within your personal folder in windows. All files you put in this folder will be backed up online and can be synced among any PCs you install the software on.

Building your own system seems over the top. There are many options out there that will do the job much more securely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Thanks for the suggestions, the site consists of just html and no php Liam, i will look into what you said thanks. Yeah i am aware of SQLlinjection and RFI.

Hey Sean i know it might not be practical but i am looking to learn as much as i can about this end of it, i will check out dropbox also thanks.

Thank you

Advertisement