Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some questions on Olympus Lenses

• 04-12-2010 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

My brother bought his first DSLR: an Olympus e420, and I have little experience with Olympus lenses. What research I have done tells me they use the 4/3 system, which I've read is the equivalent of the Canon EF-S system.

I'm more familiar with Canon cameras, so my questions are I guess based against them.

In my canon 450d, I can use old 35mm film EF lenses (notably my 50mm f1.8).
    1) Am I right in saying the 4/3 system is the successor to the OM mount? And that an adapter ring is needed to use older Olympus lenses? An adapter ring will kill autofocus, correct?

2) Do Olympus have a full frame camera? (my research suggests no) If they did, I assume they wouldn't use 4/3 system. Would it be OM Mount or something completely different?

3) Is there an equivalent to a Nifty 50 for this camera? I seem to be pointed to the 25mm Pancake, which is over twice the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Am I right in saying the 4/3 system is the successor to the OM mount?

They're both made by Olympus, but I don't think the 3/4 mount can be considered a literal successor to the OM mount. LMGTFY.
    And that an adapter ring is needed to use older Olympus lenses?

You can use OM lenses with the 4/3 mount with an adapter ring. LMGTFY.
    An adapter ring will kill autofocus, correct?

The OM mount never had autofocus. LMGTFY.
    Do Olympus have a full frame camera?

No. LMGTFY.
    If they did, I assume they wouldn't use 4/3 system. Would it be OM Mount or something completely different?

Who knows? LMGTFY.
    3) Is there an equivalent to a Nifty 50 for this camera? I seem to be pointed to the 25mm Pancake, which is over twice the price.

LMGTFY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

charybdis wrote: »
    Who knows? LMGTFY.

I actually already got this answered by someone better educated. It wouldn't be 4/3 because the image circle wouldn't be big enough.

Thnaks for the reply, much appreciated and all, but long ago I blocked LMGTFY in my hosts file. I find its userbase to be for the most part trolls and other equally useful bottom feeders with little or nothing to add to a forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

My brother bought his first DSLR: an Olympus e420, and I have little experience with Olympus lenses. What research I have done tells me they use the 4/3 system, which I've read is the equivalent of the Canon EF-S system.

The sigma 30mm/F1.4 works well here, I have one my self but as you probably know it's considerably more expensive than a canon nifty fifty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

charybdis wrote: »
    They're both made by Olympus, but I don't think the 3/4 mount can be considered a literal successor to the OM mount. LMGTFY.

You can use OM lenses with the 4/3 mount with an adapter ring. LMGTFY.

The OM mount never had autofocus. LMGTFY.

No. LMGTFY.

Who knows? LMGTFY.

LMGTFY.

This is a lot of work to go to to look like an ass.

I actually already got this answered by someone better educated. It wouldn't be 4/3 because the image circle wouldn't be big enough.

This is correct, although my response was to the question of whether they'd use the OM mount.
    Thnaks for the reply, much appreciated and all, but long ago I blocked LMGTFY in my hosts file.

The fact that you had to do this speaks volumes.
    Zillah wrote: »
    This is a lot of work to go to to look like an ass.

Yeah. It'd be handy if there was some easy timesaving way of doing it; like how you can use Google when you want to find out simple pieces of information using the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to be selling a sigma 30mm f1.4 4/3 mount soon; anyone know what sort of price they fetch these days.

and no, i'm not going to google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

I've been reading up on Micro 4/3 lenses. Are they designed as a successor to the 4/3 system, or just to compete with top end point & shoots? I've been told that 4/3 is "a dying system". Even if that is true, I'm not too concerned, my bro will be happy enough with the kit lens + maybe one or two more for a long time to come.

(my ignore list has its first member. That I had to do this, "speaks volumes")

I know you can't see this if you're logged in, but here goes anyway.
    Are they designed as a successor to the 4/3 system, or just to compete with top end point & shoots?

Micro 4/3 mightn't have been designed as a successor to 4/3 but it'll probably end up that way. Also, u4/3 cameras aren't really small enough to be considered P&S competitors.
    I've been told that 4/3 is "a dying system".

It kind-of is. Olympus have announced that they've stopped developing new 4/3 lenses and it's likely that they'll focus on u4/3 for the foreseeable future.
    (my ignore list has its first member. That I had to do this, "speaks volumes")

It's not like I didn't answer most of your questions, I just suggested that there are probably better ways of gathering information than by asking simple questions on a forum. I suggest you read the Wikipedia (another good site) page for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds.

Advertisement