Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crows hammering on the roof

• 04-12-2010 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I live on the top floor of an apartment block, and the crows are very fond of our roof. I often get woken up by extremely loud hammering. It took me a while to figure out it was birds and not the neighbours! I've seen them doing it on another roof nearby. They just bang their beaks continuously off the roof. I know there's nothing I can do about, but can anyone explain why they do this? Are they trying to get at some sort of food (nuts?), is it some sort of behavioural thing, or is it all part of some evil plan to annoy me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Probably looking for food, if there is moss or lichen on the roof they might just be digging around trying to find bugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I have observed hooded crows smashing snails on rocks. Maybe they are doing this on the roof too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I don't really see much moss on the roof and not sure about the snails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

do you live near the sea, they could be tryin to smash shell fish.

I live on the strand in sandymount. every morning i get woken up at sun rise by the same few crows, collecting mussels off the beach, flying about 50ft over my house and dropping the mussels on the flat roof, aiming for the hardened plastic skylight.
    They have very good aim, and the first one always frightens the s*&t outa me, once they crack it they will land then smack it time and time again off the skylight making a right racket right outside my bedroom door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭cochineal

I used to live in a house in the countryside in Kilkenny and would be woken every morning by crows rooting about looking for insects for brekkie. Farmer next door shot one and hung it up in the yard and they stayed away. Not a recommendation though. Crows are very clever creatures though. There's a group in Japan that drop these hard nuts on pedestrian crossings, the cars crush them and then when the signal for pedestrians sounds they swoop down, now safe, and get their goodies back conveniently opened up for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I don't live near the sea, and now I'm glad I don't!

Oh I'd never think of killing one, as much as I hate them. I know they're really smart, I just wish they weren't so noisy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have the same problem and its driving me nuts as we have other noise nuisance round here, so one less would help a lot.

Often find big bone knuckles in the back garden.:(

Would they be nesting in the chimney?

Are those sonic thingies any use for keeping them away.

Anyone tried this,

(Mod edit- link to website removed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I own an old house. Have a pair of Jackdaws in my chimney. They nest there every summer and roost there during the winter. I don't know if it's the same pair but there has been jackdaws for 5 years in the chimney. They also make alot of noise.
    IMO it's their home and there no way I'll every move them. I haven't even lit the fire in 5 years. I don't even notice the noise anymore by the way.

Advertisement