Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unofficial Jizzlers Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Conorstuff, an external poll service is an excellent idea. A few of my lecturers used them for module evaluations. One of them used www.zoomerang.com - haven't a clue if it's any good or not!

With external systems everyone can vote multiple times tbh, ruining it (since someone probably would take advantage).
    Any ways to get around this would just end up being a lot of hassle and end up being more hassle than the alternative anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I like the idea of an external service, and if double-voting was a problem on any of the sites I really think we could trust everyone to follow the rules. I'm totally prepared to take a vow of secrecy... :p

Edit: secrecy was the wrong word to use...and now I can't think of a right word. So now this just looks stupid. Obedience doesn't sound right either. Ara, late night ramblings...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh I never thought of that!

PM'ing is a lot of work for one person. It mightn't be so bad if there were multiple hosts, and Host x takes care of 2/3 categories, host y does another bundle, host z does another bundle. Only one host knows the results of any particular category, and each host posts up the results in the results threads.

Just an idea. It is an awful lot of work for deise to do all the awards herself, by PM.

slow show wrote: »
    if double-voting was a problem on any of the sites I really think we could trust everyone to follow the rules.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I really don't see that happening...

Oh I never thought of that!

PM'ing is a lot of work for one person. It mightn't be so bad if there were multiple hosts, and Host x takes care of 2/3 categories, host y does another bundle, host z does another bundle. Only one host knows the results of any particular category, and each host posts up the results in the results threads.

Just an idea. It is an awful lot of work for deise to do all the awards herself, by PM.

That could be a good idea. We could have some people in charge of each category, people who aren't nominated for that category.

• Advertisement

I'd volunteer if ye were stuck, I'm only nominated for 2 or 3 categories and I have plenty of free time so it's grand. And deise can still host, I'd just help out a bit. Unless anyone else wants to, I don't mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'll gladly take votes by PM and compile them, then pass them onto Deise to post the threads up. I'm nearly sure I've not been voted for in any category, and if I have I'm sure I'm not winning anything :pac:

My offer is open anyways, I have no problem with doing it and I'm on nearly all day every day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Yeah, if there's a need for PM vote counters, I can be in on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

^Sames, I can do nerdiest poster or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

tbh, being able to see the results would be preferable to PMing! Very few people who aren't big posters will bother like, aWhy won't you let the Little People get involved, conorstuff!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Lads, in case we're not able to have a poll that stays private, and this is something which is looking increasingly likely, do you have any ideas how else we could do this?

We could do it by PM but this is very unfair and difficult for Deise, so we need to come up with something better.

On other forums I'm on it's usually done by email where someone sets up a gmail account (jizzlerawards@gmail.com or something) before getting the users to email their choices for each category.

Edit: Yeah, I suppose the PM thing is basically the same (must read all of the thread...).

bythewoods wrote: »
    tbh, being able to see the results would be preferable to PMing! Very few people who aren't big posters will bother like, aWhy won't you let the Little People get involved, conorstuff!?

I just didn't think Deise would want to hand count 100's of votes and sort them into each category!

EDIT: Actually, Monzo's idea is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm nearly sure I've not been voted for in any category, and if I have I'm sure I'm not winning anything :pac:
    I nominated you and Noel for best couple, and I reckon the two of you are a shoe-in tbh! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does e-mailling make it easier? The votes still have to be sorted and counted by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Don't think the email idea's great either, because some people wouldn't be a big fan of people finding out their real names/ contact details.

THE LITTLE PEOPLE

It's either PM or make it public tbh. Hey - maybe we could go mad and have a poll on the matter?

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly does e-mailling make it easier? The votes still have to be sorted and counted by hand.

It does get rid of one potential problem; that of Deise's PM inbox being full before the last vote is cast. We do still have the counting problem then.

It seems it's a toss-up between open polls and PMing or emailing a handler in each separate category.

It's up to Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

My offer is open anyways, I have no problem with doing it and I'm on nearly all day every day anyway.

*coff* loser *coff*

:P

:(

I'd say email would be ok in that we could set up an email for the purpose, give a few trusted people access (deise_girl and some volunteers, or the mods), and then after the deadline they could each count their own categories.
    Everyone only has to send one email and if they include their username in it we can be reasonable sure no-one is double-voting.

Problem is that it might put some people off voting as it's more hassle, I think any way we could do it on site would be the best.

We could also go the Public-key cryptography way but for some reason I can't see this working out :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:(
    Lol, you're getting beaten up everywhere to-night, lad!

It's all in aid of making your head feel better, honestly!! :cool:

Lol, you're getting beaten up everywhere to-night, lad!

It's all in aid of making your head feel better, honestly!! :cool:

Facebook, boards, text and MSN just isn't fair at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

bythewoods wrote: »
    Don't think the email idea's great either, because some people wouldn't be a big fan of people finding out their real names/ contact details.

THE LITTLE PEOPLE

Yeah but why like? If the email thing does go ahead it's not like deise is gonna be all evil and sign them up to the One Direction newsletter spammy stuff.

Counting the votes by email wouldn't be that hard, just split the counting to three or four reliable users (each of whom would have access to the password). (Edit: or what Pyggy said. Bleh.)

Wouldn't it be better if there were 4 or 5 different e-mails, instead of 4 or so people having access to ALL the results (potentially). When the results come, everyone will know that there are people out there who aren't announcing the results that know who will win (maybe I am overthinking it).

For example, start a thread

Thread: Niceguy award for nicest poster

Choices:

To submit: e-mail jizzlerawards3 @ gmail . com (without the spaces)
    Subject of e-mail must contain "Niceguy Award"
    Body of email
    Your username:
    Your choice:

And one user, e.g. Deise, is in charge of jizzlerawards3 (ONLY!), which may only contain 2 or 3 categories (e.g. niceguy, newcomer, elevator, for example). Then Deise announces the results for jizzlerawards3, and the other hosts announce the awards for their 'groups' (or alternatively PM deise the results and she does it).

Just a thought?

Edit: I like Colm's idea better C:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

If we're going Gmail, btw, you can do this:

JizzlerNominations+bestthread@gmail.com
    JizzlerNominations+nerdiestposter@gmail.com
    They all feed into the same inbox. So you can have a filter set up in Gmail and it'll sort all the votes into nice little labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

What's wrong with making them public though?

I like the idea of seprate threads for awards where we can have a bit of banter like. Ya get what I mean like!?

They are only a for a laugh anyways at the end of the day.
    I'm just getting my opinion out there anyways! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I still worry about people not being arsed doing more work than clicking a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

What's wrong with making them public though?

I like the idea of seprate threads for awards where we can have a bit of banter like. Ya get what I mean like!?

They are only a for a laugh anyways at the end of the day.
    I'm just getting my opinion out there anyways! :)
    Ah but soccy, what fun's an award ceremony if you know that you've won the award. You dont open your exam resukts knowing what you scores were do you?

Colm! wrote: »
    If we're going Gmail, btw, you can do this:

JizzlerNominations+bestthread@gmail.com
    JizzlerNominations+nerdiestposter@gmail.com
    They all feed into the same inbox. So you can have a filter set up in Gmail and it'll sort all the votes into nice little labels.

Doesn't defeat the "everyone has access to results" problem(if you consider that a problem).
    Also having multiple emails, or filters like this, means you can't vote for everything in one email, you have to send a dozen even if you're voting at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ah but soccy, what fun's an award ceremony if you know that you've won the award. You dont open your exam resukts knowing what you scores were do you?

Ah but it's so much extra stress y'know...
    And can't ya do a quickie if ya don't wanna know the results.

"VOTE AND X OUT STRAIGHT AWAY"

Then you won't see the results.

I JUST WANT BANTER!!!!!!!
    :o

Advertisement