Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Q11 on p165 of Physics Now?

• 04-12-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I'm in fourth year and therefore don't have the book. My teacher handed out photocopies of questions while we were doing the topic in September. Of course since then I've lost some of the photocopies including the one of p165.

I'm now going back over what we did in preparation for exams and I have the solution to Q11 on p165 but not the question itself. Can anybody please help by giving me the question?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Q11, Page 165 Physics Now:

A litre of boiling water is poured into a copper kettle which is at a temp of
    10c. If the final temp of the kettle and the water is 75c, what is the mass of the kettle? (specific heat capacity of copper = 400 j kg-1 k-1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

A litre of boiling water is poured into a copper kettle which is at a temperature of 10 degrees celcius. If the final temperature of the kettle and the water is 75 degrees celcius, what is the mass of the kettle? (Specific heat capacity of copper = 400 J per kg per K )

edit: well that was a waste of time.

You get 3 years to do LC Physics. Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Thanks Shifty and pathway33. :)

Well, we can only do so much (10% I think) during TY so we did heat at the start of the year. We've been doing astronomy since October which, as you probably know, is outside the curriculum. We'll be doing that 'till the end of the year, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, we can only do so much (10% I think) during TY so we did heat at the start of the year. We've been doing astronomy since October which, as you probably know, is outside the curriculum. We'll be doing that 'till the end of the year, as far as I know.
    How strange (but kinda cool, I wish it was on the curriculum /nerd)! Why so?

jumpguy wrote: »
    How strange (but kinda cool, I wish it was on the curriculum /nerd)! Why so?

Why are we doing Astronomy? My teacher is really . . . fond of it. He got us to get an astronomy book which he claims is a classic that we'll want to pass onto our children. :P Astronomy is really cool though. :)

<nerd> About being a nerd, last night I may rearranged the glow in the dark stars in my room so that they form the constellations Orion, Cassiopeia and the Plough/Big Dipper. I also put in Polaris (the north star). I even made sure they were all proportionate to each other and they were in the right place in relation to each other. :o </nerd>

Sorry about this but if possible can someone post up question 12 on p165? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Q12 500g of copper is dropped into 50g of water at 20 degrees celcius. If the final temperature is 40 degrees celcius, what was the initial temperature of the copper?

Thanks again pathway. :)

Advertisement