Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is how to exhibit your work!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In a HP advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Advert doesn't matter, the exhibit is class. Did you watch it all? Ok, it's an ad, not for something many of us would ever buy! I don't care what it's advertising, the prints look amazing hung, and on the floor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes I did, I watched the whole thing and with the HP3000Z series printer you can really appreciate his work. :pac:

TBF I couldn't enjoy it with all the corporate ****e.

If I had the time and patience I'd edit it out for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't think Steve has anything to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

That's a big printer :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

That's pretty damn impressive. I was at Peter Lindergh's exhibition in Berlin two weeks ago and it was amazing. It would be amazing to be exhibiting like that in a few years!!

Here's a few shots from inside the gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

those huge prints are not photoquality

the large printer is a sign printer, the droplets it prints are 5 times bigger than the photoprinter

and the material used is not archival etc.

BUT

things that big do look impressive.

the other thing if you notice is he is using large format camera and probably doing drum scans, so none of our digital cameras come close to that res

I dont like the ones just hanging loose on the wall though

i have printed 5 meters by 1 meter

from a 9 stitch d200 image

i actually prefer images not as big, i think they can look just as impressive if they are presented well

I did a quote a while ago for a dancefloor printed onto lightbox material and bonded to a glass front. the client didnt have enough cash in the end but would of looked stunning i reckon

Things is, as steve just said, if you so wished it is possible to do this scale too. That's the point, I was impressed with the scale, so what they're not the same quality? Sometimes huge things just impress.

How much for a print to cover that size of flooring then Steve? :D

about 4K, as it not paper and needs laminating with a scuff resistant laminate

well it kind of depends how big the floor is though

but on a serious note, one i have done a couple of times is custom wallpaper, and that can rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

His photos are meh. Technically superb, lovely perhaps if you are a NY native, but I see photos on boards that excite me a lot more. I think really great photos have a magic about them, a human appeal that strikes a chord, and it doesnt matter where they were taken. His photos dont meet that criteria for me.

I think some of them are pretty lush. Sure, if I had scenery like that nearby and a big tank of a camera like that I'm sure I could do as good a job if not better ;) But that's not the point. I like to look at scenes that are not close by [or I'd just go there myself] so I don't agree that you need to be familiar with NY at all. And yes, some smashing stuff gets upped here, but who's comparing?

This thread isn't hailing the photographer to begin with, but the impressive way he exhibits. Who says people who post here can't do same? It's doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

stcstc wrote: »
    about 4K, as it not paper and needs laminating with a scuff resistant laminate

well it kind of depends how big the floor is though

but on a serious note, one i have done a couple of times is custom wallpaper, and that can rock

I was in a house one time and one entire wall of the living room was the Manhattan skyline at night,and in the back room one wall was an Alpine scene with lush meadows and snow capped mountains in the background. I think the wallpaper was €2000 or €3000 a wall, but I'd do it myself if I could afford it! Looks amazing.
    I think Meyerowitz is great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

FoxT wrote: »
    His photos are meh. Technically superb, lovely perhaps if you are a NY native, but I see photos on boards that excite me a lot more. I think really great photos have a magic about them, a human appeal that strikes a chord, and it doesnt matter where they were taken. His photos dont meet that criteria for me.

That's not a millionth of his work.

Watch the Genius of Photography (BBC Series). He knows more about and has done more in photography than the entire board here could ever know or do (...seriously). He is a stunning photographer and while beauty is subjective, trying to make it out that he's some bland arty type is not fair on him. He has earned his high position in photography, through hard work, study and imagination.

I would buy his book. Not the one for $400 on amazon mind :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Did ye all note he started this just after 9/11 that's the best part of 8 years :eek:

Always enjoyed his work after watching the genius of photography. The guy is a genius. Hes like over 70 as well.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I started following that series a while back, then , got side-tracked and forgot all about it. I must get hold of the rest of the series at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I could seriously listen to him all day long

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

some of his stuff is stunning

and he is really interesting to listen too
    but he really has bought into HP's marketing. him mentioning the colour gamut of the inkset, its not the widest (by far) as they make a compromise on gamut so they can have the longest lightfastness figures.

I'd say that's more to do with the pay cheque HP gave him ;)

• Advertisement

well wouldnt be direct, it will be more he doesnt pay for printers, ink, media, etc

Advertisement