Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

small car - €3.5k

• 04-12-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my girlfriends car. She currently has a 99 clio...we are looking to stay with a small car with preferably a 1 litre engine. Reliability and safety are probably the 2 most important factors, what would people recommend? I've been looking mainly at the yaris and am just going to start looking into fiesta's now, any other suggestions are welcome

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1 litre class is tiny. Yaris is probably the best of them.

Fiesta needs a 1.25l engine really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fiat Panda! Go for the 1.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

After reading a good few reviews etc it seems the premium put on the yaris as a 2nd hand car is justified. I am going to concentrate on finding a decent one over the next few weeks, only problem is there seems to be nothing down my end of the country!(I'm between Waterford and Limerick)

Everything anyway decent is in Dublin which is a pain...if anyone spots anything worth looking at let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Seriously look a panda. You'll get a much better example for that money than you would a yaris. I hired a panda in Italy a few weeks ago and it was a great little thing.

It is 2nd on the list, mainly because herself doesn't want to pay any more on tax than is strictly necessary. The 1.2 panda comes in about €100 more a year...also the yaris has a timing chain so no expensive belt changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

over the budget but i'ts a very good value IMO

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1740478

It is good value but 2 problems.

1 - have you ever driven one? My grandmother had 2 of them and they were pretty tinny horrible things...
    2- it's in Dublin like the rest of the yaris's for sale!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Always thought the Nissan Micra was a sturdy car myself, we had two early on and never had anything other than self inflicted problems with them, cheap to buy, plentiful with Jap Imports, Easily/Cheaply serviced, handy to find spares for in scrapyards, economical, cheap to tax, pretty to look at (lie) :P ... but other than the last untruth, they are niot too bad of a car for a 1 litre knock about.

I have ruled them out I'm afraid. They were developed alongside the clio and use french electrics. These electrics are now starting to cause problems and I've had enough of quirky french motoring for a while!

Also, I will occasionally have to drive this car.....the micra has to be the ugliest design ever!!! :D

job done - yaris collected today :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Curious what you got and for what money?

a 03 5 door yaris in spotless condition.It was nct'd an hour before I went to see it and comes with 6 month warranty. It was advertised at €4500 but I traded her clio against it so paid close to my original budget

Advertisement