Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skype confusion

• 04-12-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Tab running 2.2 and I can't get Skype.

When I search in the marketplace, it is not found, when I try to download it via skype.com/m, it gives me a 404 error. And I have "Unknown Sources" ticked to allow installs from non-marketplace sources.

Any ideas why I can't see Skype to install it? Is is possible that my IP address is playing a part in this (I'm in the Middle East) and it is just not available in my area?

Very frustrating....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Tab running 2.2 and I can't get Skype.

When I search in the marketplace, it is not found, when I try to download it via skype.com/m, it gives me a 404 error. And I have "Unknown Sources" ticked to allow installs from non-marketplace sources.

Any ideas why I can't see Skype to install it? Is is possible that my IP address is playing a part in this (I'm in the Middle East) and it is just not available in my area?

Very frustrating....
    The answer is yes - the fact that you're in the Middle East is the reason. A lot of the countries in the ME have Skype banned as it poses a risk to their 'security' - what they basically mean is that they're losing money on international calls because of it. I'm in Qatar & can access it no problem but I know that it's completely banned in Saudi, in a number of the UAE emirates and also Oman (I think). Bahrain & Qatar seem to be a lot more relaxed about it. Your best bet is to either try & download the original apk or else download it onto you Tab when you're at home or in some other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

squire23 wrote: »
    The answer is yes - the fact that you're in the Middle East is the reason. A lot of the countries in the ME have Skype banned as it poses a risk to their 'security' - what they basically mean is that they're losing money on international calls because of it. I'm in Qatar & can access it no problem but I know that it's completely banned in Saudi, in a number of the UAE emirates and also Oman (I think). Bahrain & Qatar seem to be a lot more relaxed about it. Your best bet is to either try & download the original apk or else download it onto you Tab when you're at home or in some other country.

I'm in Bahrain.

I have even tried to get into the marketplace using my VPN connection, but for some reason can't seem to get it configured.

Not having a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had a quick look on the skype forum (seems to be a common issue)
    Someone has posted a link to the APK - I can't vouch for it though....

http://dstrn.com/1/andr/skype/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm in Bahrain.

I have even tried to get into the marketplace using my VPN connection, but for some reason can't seem to get it configured.

Not having a good day.
    Ah now that we have the WC2022 here you can just wait till they build the causeway & then just drive over here & download it!!

Seriously, I must've have had Oman & Bahrain mixed up. This article is a little old but from being out here I'm sure you can see - things don't move too quickly. Bahrain is listed as one of the countries that blocks it. But so is Qatar so not sure really what to say about that
    http://almostfearless.com/2009/12/16/what-to-do-if-skype-is-blocked-where-you-travel-and-why-we-should-care/

Another option would be to use your Irish Sim if you still have it. I regularly replace my QTel Sim with my Meteor one to access paid apps.

Mr E wrote: »
    I had a quick look on the skype forum (seems to be a common issue)
    Someone has posted a link to the APK - I can't vouch for it though....

http://dstrn.com/1/andr/skype/

Great, thanks. I spent an age looking on that forum and didn't find it.

That link is in Russia. The big question is whether I trust it or not.

I am swaying towards no. :)
    Ah now that we have the WC2022 here you can just wait till they build the causeway & then just drive over here & download it!!

The one that was to be built by 2012? :D
    Seriously, I must've have had Oman & Bahrain mixed up. This article is a little old but from being out here I'm sure you can see - things don't move too quickly. Bahrain is listed as one of the countries that blocks it. But so is Qatar so not sure really what to say about that
    http://almostfearless.com/2009/12/16/what-to-do-if-skype-is-blocked-where-you-travel-and-why-we-should-care/

Another option would be to use your Irish Sim if you still have it. I regularly replace my QTel Sim with my Meteor one to access paid apps.

Nah, Bahrain doesn't block Skype, I've been using it for over a year without problems.

I'll keep plugging at the VPN for now.

• Advertisement

Just thought I would update this thread for future reference.

So, I got Skype installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

How did I do it? I inserted my O2 Ireland SIM card, went to marketplace and there it was. When I originally went looking for Skype, I had my local (Bahrain) SIM card inserted.

I didn't realise the marketplace was restricted by the SIM card - now I know why you need to insert a SIM card to install any software. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Unless you root your device to get around this.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Unless you root your device to get around this.

To be honest, I wouldn't be bothered. Especially when it is as simple as inserting a different SIM card.

Advertisement