Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounced email problem.

• 04-12-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

A couple of days ago I started getting some bounced mail.
    It always has the same error below no matter who I'm emailing.
    I haven't changed my settings and have scanned with Norton and found no viruses etc. This is happening with almost every mail now on both with my eircom.net email address and my other emails on Outlook with Vista. My Broadband provider is UPC. Can anyone help?

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Anything

Sent: 03/12/2010 15:11

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'Johnsmith@website.com' on 03/12/2010 15:11
    550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain website.com"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Can you post the internet headers of the bounced email. To get the header from outlook right on the email and click options. Then copy the internet header information and post the results here.

If that doesn't work have a look here to find internet headers with different version of Outlook :

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/How_to_View_All_Message_Headers_in_Outlook.htm

Also if you want to check for malware , just install the free version of Malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ . When installed check for updates first and then do a full scan of your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Is sounds like you might change your SMTP server for outgoing e-mail. UPC's is smtp.upcmail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

There doesn't appear to be an internet header message. I right clicked and can see the internet header box but it's blank as is all fields in that window.

Following the information on that link, doesn't bring up the header for me.
    I'm doing a Malware Bytes scan at the moment and have changed my SMTP settings as well.
    I'm not sure if that has sorted it or not as I've sent an email and and it hasn't bounced but it can take an hour or so sometimes to bounce back.

I'm doing a Malware Bytes scan at the moment and have changed my SMTP settings as well.
    I'm not sure if that has sorted it or not as I've sent an email and and it hasn't bounced but it can take an hour or so sometimes to bounce back.

If you're a UPC customer and your SMTP server wasn't smtp.upcmail.ie then that was almost certainly the problem. What was your SMTP server set to previously?

It was mail2.eircom.net till I changed it this morning.
    But that worked absolutely fine for 18 months.
    I'm experiencing the same problem with my own website email too.
    I also have the same problem with the mail on my iPhone too and that's a different service provider.

Malwarebytes finished scanning and has shown these files
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TOY5KNQ8OC (Trojan.FakeAlert)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WEK9EMDHI9 (Trojan.Agent)

I've removed them.

• Advertisement

It was mail2.eircom.net till I changed it this morning.
    But that worked absolutely fine for 18 months.
    I'm experiencing the same problem with my own website email too.
    I also have the same problem with the mail on my iPhone too and that's a different service provider.

Internet Service Providers are increasingly enforcing restrictions on outbound e-mails using the standard SMTP Port 25. It's safest to always assume that you will have to use the ISP's own SMTP server for outbound e-mail on port 25. SO for Eircom you'll use mail1.eircom.net, On Vodafone you'll use mail.vodafone.ie, on UPC you'll use smtp.upcmail.ie etc.

Thanks. I think changing the SMTP has solved the problem.
    Or maybe it was the scan and viruse removal that was the solution as this was happening across my other non-eircom email addresses.

Whatever it was. Thanks for your help.
    It's much appreciated.

Kev

Advertisement