Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem

• 04-12-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All was looking at this for the gamecube anyone no if its worth getting i like all the resident evils so is this all so worth getting
    Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'd encourage you to get a copy.

Really fills the survival horror niche on the GC, as it's the only real game available apart from the Resident Evil series. Personally I prefer Resi but I would definitely recommend it if you've made your way through those games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not the same as the Resi's, a great game though.
    Episodic in nature you play a series of characters, can't tell you too much but the dev did go out of their way to mess with your head.
    Best to go into it blind, without reading too much, and you'll get a greater thrill and chill from it as it unfolds.
    A real pants soiler at times, a number two in my "Scary Games" list, after Silent Hill 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't think this game was scary at all really and it's a terrible game to play. However I think what saves it and makes it well worth playing is the fantastic story and how well it's told. Don't expect to enjoy it the whole way through but it's worth slogging through the bad bits to find out what happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0 = Contrary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah come on you have to admit the gameplay is rubbish. Walking through rooms running up to zombies and picking which limb to hit. Same zombies everytime as well. We all know you've a hard on for Lovecraft and will forgive anything influenced by it :P

• Advertisement

I have not got a hard on for Lovecraft...
    Ok, maybe a little one (no sniggering down the back!).

I liked the vulnerability of your characters, the shocks as you don't quite prosper as some of them, unlike other games where its EPIC FAIL when your character snuffs it, here it's required!
    Also, the revisiting of levels as a new character separated by a couple of hundred years from the first playthrough, is brilliant.
    The only bit not fun for me was the overworld, or the present days scenes.
    I enjoyed revisiting the church as well,
    And the first visit to the big boss there, always figured I last longer...
    One character gets a nice premonition of his own end, and some of the moments of insanity were nice too.
    If you are going to crib about enemies and movement, sure remember RE, moving like a tank, most of the time, the same shambling messes coming for you.
    Now, don't get this confused with the superior REmake.
    It doesn't compare well to REmake, but then that took everyone by surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I keep hearing lovecraft everwhere recently, and lovecraftian themes in games.

I feel I'm missing out on havge never read any lovecraft, I dont even know what cithluiu is!

But yeah Eternal Drkness, great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Zombies you say think i will pick this one up then thanks all

Lovecraft was a brilliant author, his fiction was not quite horror, but a blend of sci-fi and horror, Mountains of Madness being a good primer.
    After that Color out of space, Call of Cthulhu and Shadow out of time are all fantastic.
    Well worth picking up are the three books, I think by penguin, that have pretty much everything in them, brilliant stuff.
    The only fly in the ointment are the constant racist overtones in his description of his characters, different racial types associated with good, bad, evil and so on.

But, still, well worth getting into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lovecraft was derided as a mere pulp-author in his time.
    It is only now that we appreciate his madness.

MADNESS, I TELL YE!!

Also I played through Eternal Darkness 3x in 2 days. I think that says it all. (hint: IT'S GOOD!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Oh its a deadly game! While the fight system isnt really that well presented, especially with melee weapons, it makes up for it in other ways... great magic system that isnt over complicated, interesting story and the series of levels based around the french church are some of the most memorable and ambient in any game i've ever played.

Also, i don't know if this is just rose tinted glasses, but from what i remember the voice acting is very good.

It's not rose tinted specs, the voice acting is superb as are the production values. Jennifer Hale is a standout as always. Love the little touches like when it's set in Roman times the actors speak latin before it morphs into english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

I think if you're a general horror fan and prefer a story driven game that requires minimal action to progress then it's worth purchasing.

Nice atmospheric type horror. Well worth a go, shouldn't take any longer than two days to a weekend for completing.

Some games are like a book of genre fiction, very easy to get through but being very enjoyable and it can linger long long after you have completed it.
    Sometimes, in games, you don't need to trawl through endless cutscenes, or grind your way building up stats, or die in a thousand unlucky ways, or die a thousand times in the same bloody way, to make the experience worthwhile.
    To return to the book analogy, sometimes a short story or novella can say twice as much, be twice as enjoyable as a brick of a novel, with dozens of sequels.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To return to the book analogy

he he :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

So got this game for christmas and only played around 20 min and it is really dark looks like it should be fun really looking forward to cracking in to this

Advertisement