Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen lighter not working

Options
  • 04-12-2010 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi Folks

Hope someone can help me. We have 7 downlighters in the ceiling in the kitchen three in one line and four in the other. All of which are operated by a dimmer on off switch. The trouble is now the last downlighter in the row of four is not working all the others come on fine, its not the bulb as I took it out and tried it else where and it works what could be the problem and is it easily rectified any advice or help on this would be grealty appreciated. Would it be the transfroemr to that particular light or the wiring?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It could as you say be the transformer or the wiring or the lampholder. I came across a problem with the transformer in one of these last week.

Get someone who knows what they are doing to check the wiring and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

generally if its the lamp holder the bulb will still work intermittantly or the lamp will be loose where the pins go in.
    if the lamp is a tight fit still then id hazzard a guess its the traffo.
    if you do buy a traffo, make sure its suitable for dimming. most traffos are but a lot of places still sell the non dimmable type as a budget item.
    while your getting the traffo, buy a lamp holder too just incase as they are ony a couple of euro and the traffo should only cost about 6-7 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BackRowBlues

Thanks for all replies as the downlighter is recessed into the ceiling is it just a matter of pulling out the transformer and bulb holder from the ceiling I wont need to pull up flooring or anything from upstairs to access it? I know a bit about electrics is its job I can do myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if you get your finger nails under the edge of the downlighter and pull it down carefully. the lamp holder will be attached to the traffo so just give it a light tug to get it down trough the hole.

Advertisement