Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installed new Mobo and windows stalls at loading Screen...HELP?

Options
  • 04-12-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Ordered a new motherboard and case recently. Just installed the Mobo outside the case and connected everything. When windows Vista Home Premium loads it stalls on the windows load screen. I tried booting in safe mode and it stalls when loading the various drivers. Any ideas?

Asus P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo
    Q6700 CPU
    8800GTX Card

The CPU cooler i am using has no thermal paste on it but i dont plan on using any heavy programs as i am just booting to ensure my mobo isnt dead.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

EDIT: It hangs at crcdisk.sys on vista

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is the disk stalling or have you installed Vista and its puking when you try to start up? If the latter try formatting the HDD then reinstalling Vista, sounds like its either corrupt and/or you have bad RAM or a bad HDD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Solitaire wrote: »
    Is the disk stalling or have you installed Vista and its puking when you try to start up? If the latter try formatting the HDD then reinstalling Vista, sounds like its either corrupt and/or you have bad RAM or a bad HDD :(

Working perfectly now. Decided to put on thermal paste and its working fine. VERY VERY Strange. Im going to back up my HDD and then reinstall Vista (or upgrade to 7). Thanks for the help Solitaire as always.

Odds are the CPU was overheating! :eek: You always put the cooler on with paste, as the CPU runs flat out for a short duration every time it boots up and has to load and process the OS! :o No paste = crippled cooler = overheat every time you boot up!

Odds are the CPU was overheating! :eek: You always put the cooler on with paste, as the CPU runs flat out for a short duration every time it boots up and has to load and process the OS! :o No paste = crippled cooler = overheat every time you boot up!

Whoops. Lesson learned anyways. I was worried i wouldnt have enough paste for reseating after the test.

Artic Cooling MX-2 Cooling paste is unreal. 5-10 degree difference between it and my old stock Zalman paste.

EDIT:

After everything has been installed its gone back to the same problem. Everything is installed and the CPU cooler is fully thermalled up yet it still stalls on crcdisk.sys

Any ideas folks? Its defo not the CPU over heating now id say :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hogzy wrote: »
    EDIT:

After everything has been installed its gone back to the same problem. Everything is installed and the CPU cooler is fully thermalled up yet it still stalls on crcdisk.sys

Any ideas folks? Its defo not the CPU over heating now id say :(

I know on XP swapping motherboards/CPU's caused problems with being able to read files, try repairing your install and see if that helps (cant remember how to repair an install on Vista, but it should be obvious enough when you put the Vista DVD in

If anything it sounds like an issue with the Activation system - or with a crack used to bypass it...

Just read that it seems to be that it could be some hidden malware (crcdisk that is) or is a sign that the HDD is on the way out. What board did you swap from actually, cant believe I didnt ask that before :o

If anything it sounds like an issue with the Activation system - or with a crack used to bypass it...

I am assuming its not a hardware problem?

I think ill just reinstall Windows and see how i get on. Balls anyways i was really hoping i wouldnt have to resort to a reformat and reinstall.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Just read that it seems to be that it could be some hidden malware (crcdisk that is) or is a sign that the HDD is on the way out. What board did you swap from actually, cant believe I didnt ask that before :o

GigaByte N680-SLI-DQ6

• Advertisement

GigaByte N680-SLI-DQ6

Different chipsets IIRC. Id say a repair may work. It actually sounds like your hardware hasn't quite adjusted itself to work with your new motherboard. I had it where my XP install on my current rig (on a Sammy S166 not the RAID array) wouldnt work when I changed the SATA port it was plugged into.

Try a repair anyway and report back

+1. Also remove the old mobo drivers and put on the ones for the new mobo! ;)

+1. Also remove the old mobo drivers and put on the ones for the new mobo! ;)

Thats the second +1 post you've quoted me in tonight, I feel like im doing all the work for you :o:p

Whats the best way of going about uninstalling the old nForce drivers? I went into Add/Remove Programs and did it that way. Is that enough? Im going to do a repair after and then install the new mobo drivers. Probably doesnt help that i am installing a GFX card aswell but im going to use my old 8800gtx for the time being and install each new component piece by piece so i can narrow down the problem.

Fnigers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you can use driver sweeper to get rid of all of them

Whats the best way of going about uninstalling the old nForce drivers? I went into Add/Remove Programs and did it that way. Is that enough? Im going to do a repair after and then install the new mobo drivers. Probably doesnt help that i am installing a GFX card aswell but im going to use my old 8800gtx for the time being and install each new component piece by piece so i can narrow down the problem.

Fnigers crossed

Should be fine, may not be optimal but that method will work fine

Just tried with 2 GB of Ram and it works flawlessly. Tried 3gb and Vista loaded but BSOD when i logged into Vista. This is really weird.
    I am going to try each individual ram stick to see which one could be faulty. I ran memtest last week and they were all perfect.

Tried each indivdual stick and it booted perfectly everytime. Tried each individual slot and it worked perfectly everytime. So anytime 3GB or more is installed it crashes...

It doesnt appear to be the Ram sticks.

ANY IDEAS?

Sounds like chipset instability. When the chipset and memory controller are marginal then 1-2 modules are grand at stock volts, as soon as you hit 3 modules you have issues because the chipset is failing to keep two "pairs" of modules stable without pumping more voltage into it. Overvolted CPU makes it worse, overvolted RAM more still but neither are as bad as having the memory controller marginal in the first place!

Looks like you should try going into the BIOS and overvolting the MCH (IIRC) just a tad ;)

Sounds like chipset instability. When the chipset and memory controller are marginal then 1-2 modules are grand at stock volts, as soon as you hit 3 modules you have issues because the chipset is failing to keep two "pairs" of modules stable without pumping more voltage into it. Overvolted CPU makes it worse, overvolted RAM more still but neither are as bad as having the memory controller marginal in the first place!

Looks like you should try going into the BIOS and overvolting the MCH (IIRC) just a tad ;)

Should i RMA the MOBO?

What else could the MCH be called. Im not too familiar with the New Asus Bios im using?

I don't think you can tweak it independently on Asus boards, so just raise the Northbridge voltage a tad, save and re-test ;)

• Advertisement

Voltage was on 1.10 and i changed it to 1.20, Its max is 1.90

No change. Its still crashing once Vista tries to load. Should i increase the SouthBridge too?

Do you have any other recommendations?

Only the classic Game Ender: "You're mobo wants you to buy shiny new RAM for no other reason than being An Epic Douche" :rolleyes::p Some mobos just won't run with x/y/z RAM modules for no logical reason. Asus in particular! :rolleyes:

At this point I'd do a full format + reinstall. Utter whore to do but after that its RMA time :(

Only the classic Game Ender: "You're mobo wants you to buy shiny new RAM for no other reason than being An Epic Douche" :rolleyes::p Some mobos just won't run with x/y/z RAM modules for no logical reason. Asus in particular! :rolleyes:

Very annoying. Especially since my Ram is specifically supported in the manual of the mobo. Im looking at Ram on adverts. Looks like ill have to go with that option :(

Nope, if its on the official Compatibility List you should try a reformat first then RMA it, as something is definitely wrong in that case!

Nope, if its on the official Compatibility List you should try a reformat first then RMA it, as something is definitely wrong in that case!

Ill start on that so. Could take some time. Hope to god it works.

Thanks for the help solitaire

How do i reformat the drive? I reinstalled vista but i have winows old files contained in my computer. i have no other drive i can use to be a primary drive so i cant reformat it through another HDD.

Is there any way to reformat a drive that you are using, from that drive?

EDIT: I reinstalled the 64bit version of vista instead of the 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

:rolleyes::p Some mobos just won't run with x/y/z RAM modules for no logical reason. Asus in particular! :rolleyes:

i read that recently about Asus boards that they don't like certain types of memory, Corsair for example
    what a royal pain in the arse

Skerries wrote: »
    i read that recently about Asus boards that they don't like certain types of memory, Corsair for example
    what a royal pain in the arse

But my RAM is specifically supported in the manual so it should work.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Learn something new every day - I was always lead to believe that your Windows license was tied to the motherboard. Change mobo, need new license. Or is that just with OEM software?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Learn something new every day - I was always lead to believe that your Windows license was tied to the motherboard. Change mobo, need new license. Or is that just with OEM software?? :confused:

Id say OEM because Vista installed ok for me. Although it wasnt installed on a fresh HDD so maybe thats why.

In the process of running Memtest and its stall at 17% (Test 60%).
    Its looking more and more like memory. Thankfully another boardsie has agreed to help me out and test difference OCZ ram in the system.

Heres Hoping.

Advertisement