Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Engineering in St Johns

Options
  • 04-12-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,

I'm thinking about doing a year of computing in Cork. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Software Engineering course in St John's College?

There is also one in Colaiste Stiofain Naofa called Software Development.

I'd be incredibly grateful if you have any information on these courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

It awards a CITXX cert which is the same as the one they give for the Networks/Web Design. I haven't done the course you mentioned but I can say that the lecturers in St. Johns are good enough and the courses are more advanced than people give them credit for. I know a couple of lads who did this course in St. Johns and they said it was grand. You can go to CIT the next year if your results are good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laurielaurel

Thanks a million for the reply Dean820. It's good to hear that the students were happy with it. Did you do the Networks/Web Design course?

I did. Michael the head guy for Neworks and Web Design is a good teacher/nice guy overall. First year of it is fairly basic (HTML and CSS mainly, Visual Basic 2005)

In second year, you start doing a bit of Javascript, PHP, MySQL, more advanced and fancy stuff. First year is just learning the basics, but its important to learn those to put everything together.

Hey Dean820,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for your response :-)

Can I ask what the hours were like? Oh and have you continued with computers and do you think that the course stood to you?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    I'm just kind of confused. I don't know if i'll go down the computer route or not. I'll apply soon and hopefully will know in a few months if I want to go down that route. Thanks for helping me out.

Hope you're well. :-)

Can I ask what the hours were like? Oh and have you continued with computers and do you think that the course stood to you?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    I'm just kind of confused. I don't know if i'll go down the computer route or not. I'll apply soon and hopefully will know in a few months if I want to go down that route. Thanks for helping me out.

Hours were fine. Most days we were in at 9am and went home about 2-3.30pm. Which was grand in fairness.

You can do Computer Science in College of Comm (it gives you the same cert at the end) for less money but I've no experience whatsoever with how good the tutors are, etc.

I plan on going to an IT or University next year because my results were good enough. You need at least five dinctictions to do this. Its very do-able if you put a bit of effort into the assigments and do okay in the exams.

If you do go down this route, good luck and I hope you do well whatever you end up doing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Dean820 wrote: »
    Hours were fine. Most days we were in at 9am and went home about 2-3.30pm. Which was grand in fairness.

You can do Computer Science in College of Comm (it gives you the same cert at the end) for less money but I've no experience whatsoever with how good the tutors are, etc.

I plan on going to an IT or University next year because my results were good enough. You need at least five dinctictions to do this. Its very do-able if you put a bit of effort into the assigments and do okay in the exams.

If you do go down this route, good luck and I hope you do well whatever you end up doing. :)

The College of Commerce computer course is very good as well, went there a while back and it was very good, the lectures are very good, also there follow up links for degree course are very good can go to UCC, CIT or they have links to Wales as well.

Thank you so much Dean820.

You've really helped me out. Good luck with whatever you choose to do as well. :)

Also, Thanks Spindle for the info on Cork College of Commerce. I'll check that course out. I didn't know that they had a computer science course so thanks!

Advertisement